• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puppeteer |OT| $40, No Strings Attached

ot-header-2x0acf.png
ot-banner-informationrquvy.png
Information said:
Puppeteer is a brand new franchise developed by SCE Japan Studio and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Directed by Gavin Moore, who also worked on The Getaway and the Siren series, Puppeteer is a side-scrolling platformer in which players control a boy named Kutaro, who has been turned into a puppet and had his head torn off. Throughout the game, Kutaro is able to find various types of head to substitute for his own, each with their own unique abilities, such as throwing bombs. Kutaro is armed with a pair of magical scissors named Calibrus. As well as serving as his main weapon, Kutaro can use the scissors to cut through and move along anything made out of paper or fabric, including effects such as bubbles and smoke that are made out of paper. The right analogue stick can be used to control Ying Yang, a ghostly cat who can examine foreign objects and find new heads for Kutaro.

ot-infouzx9l.png

Specifics:
  • Platform: PlayStation 3 (3D Compatible Game)
  • Players: 1-2
  • ESRB/PEGI: E10+/12+
  • MSRP: $39.99
  • Release Date: Sept. 10 (NA)/ Sept. 11 (EU)

Pre-order to get the Theatrical Pack, which includes:

• PlayStation 3 Dynamic Theme featureing concept art from all seven acts of Puppeteer
    [*]Exclusive PlayStation Network Avatars of Kutaro, Moon Bear King, and the witch Ezma Potts
    [*]Digital Download of the Puppeteer Original Soundtrack composed by Academy Award-nominated composer Patrick Doyle
ot-banner-featureskouvv.png
Features said:
  • Swappable Heads - The unique ability to change your head anytime you choose. Lose your head and you lose a life. Use your head and discover that you have the ability to change the world!
  • Unique Platforming - Wielding a pair of magical scissors, Kutaro cuts and crops his way through the adventure!
  • Dynamic Interactive Sets - Mesmerizing stage sets continually change to take you on a journey of discovery that will surprise and thrill!
  • Theatrical Storytelling - Audience, lights, sets, music and narration all combine to create a mesmerizing, unique storytelling experience!
ot-banner-mediae7ugp.png
Media said:
ot-banner-reviewsl9u3g.png
Reviews said:
Coming Soon!

£25 bones from Amazon. Fantastic price for what will likely be the most gorgeous and hopefully most fun platformer of the year...

Note: Amazon has the UK release date down as Sept 13th.

dc89

The game looks lovely. I think my GF would play this too, which is always neat!

I'll have to take a look into picking it up after my holiday in 2 weeks!

Gbraga

I'm not sure if they chose the right date to release this, I'm even considering a day one purchase but even so it would probably take me some time to play this, imagine people who have to choose between this and GTA V.

I hope sales don't get hurt by the timing.

The game just looks and sounds lovely, and the gameplay impressions from the other thread made me more hyped.

A 60fps PS4 release would be ideal though, the game already looks really stunning, enough for me to still be impressed if it was a 1080p 60fps PS4 game only, I wouldn't ever question why this wasn't on PS3, judging from trailers.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm not sure if they chose the right date to release this, I'm even considering a day one purchase but even so it would probably take me some time to play this, imagine people who have to choose between this and GTA IV.

Id easily choose Puppeteer over GTAIV

Great OT. Day Uno.

Bundy

Banned
Day 1

BUY THIS GAME, PEOPLE!

If not, stop crying if we see less and less platformers in the future!

Yes Boss!

I don't know anything about this game. But it is my most hyped game for September...even a little more hyped than GTA.

Gbraga

Id easily choose Puppeteer over GTAIV

Great OT. Day Uno.

Fixed :p

But yeah, if it was up to Puppeteer vs GTA IV I'd choose Puppeteer for sure.

Day 1

BUY THIS GAME, PEOPLE!

If not, stop crying if we see less and less platformers in the future!

I hate this kind of thing. One should buy games they want to play, games they like. You shouldn't buy something just to support a genre.

If that was the case I'd just buy two copies of Rayman Legends because I want to support 60fps platformers and I don't mind less and less 30fps platformers. Instead I'll buy this and I'm not even buying Legends because I still didn't play through Origins so I can wait.

Yep, think I might just go with the PS store.

I'm tempted to do this, the download is only 10.3gb (if the size on the page is accurate), but I feel the disc version might become a collector's item within a couple of years and I love me some collector's items.

Withnail

Nice OP there PhantomOfTheKnight.

Had this pre-ordered for a while now, purely on the visuals and because I like platformers. Hope it's good!

Andrew.

Banned
I'mdefinitely banking on finishing it at least once in the week leading up to GTA. It should be perfectly feasible unless there is some insane difficulty spike.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wonderful OT! So sad it comes out so close to the beginning of the school year. I'll have to wait until Christmas to play this. :(

sajj316

I want this but with PS4 + Vita game purchases .. my budget is tight :(

I'll eventually get it .. heck it might be a spur of the moment thing

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I would normally have jumped on this but a week after the sublime Rayman Legends and four days before GTA V means that I'll probably be picking it up for sub £15 in a months time.

Don't want to pre-emptively call this platformer of the year...

...but it's platformer of the year.

Great OT OP. Presentation almost as nice as the game itself.

Don't want to pre-emptively call this platformer of the year...

...but it's platformer of the year.

Great OT OP. Presentation almost as nice as the game itself.
Dunno about DK or Mario but there is no way Puppeteer is as dissapointing as Rayman.

Tho 3D World is dissapointing just by existing so I guess that leaves DK vs Puppeteer.

Dunno about DK or Mario but there is no way Puppeteer is as dissapointing as Rayman.

Tho 3D World is dissapointing just by existing so I guess that leaves DK vs Puppeteer.

But you told me on PSN that Rayman Legends is good! I don't know what to believe anymore.

But you told me on PSN that Rayman Legends is good! I don't know what to believe anymore.

That was when I was hooked to a challenge level. Then I played the campaing...

It's a bore. The dissapointing thing is that things that are good are really good (musical stages, endless runner/drop challenges) but the main content is just so lame.

Raitaro

This game can use all the support it can get, so thanks for the OT OP!

I'll be picking it up as soon as possible after I get back from my trip to Italy / Croatia. Even if I have to buy it together with GTA V, I'll still be buying it and playing it soon. The demo really wowed me, in part because of the Japanese theater inspired backgrounds and storytelling.

If anyone here has any interest in platformers, especially creative ones that don't have floaty controls, please try out this game's demo before passing final judgement.

Jomjom

Banned
This game looks amazing. I haven't been into platformers in forever. I think this will be the game that can get me back in.

Top Bottom