• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Collection Was Going to Exist Apparently

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So I managed to get a question answered on the latest PixelJunk Radio podcast, which in itself was exciting (prize package on the way!).

However the answer I got was sad. I asked if there was a PixelJunk retail collection coming, something I had asked Dylan Cuthbert about once or twice before over Twitter.

Answer was they had been working really hard with Sony over the summer on a package just to my liking, but then plans changed and Sony pulled the plug on the project (which had even reached the point of packaging design), probably due to the PS4 launch plans.

pixeljunk_coll1.png

pixeljunk_coll2.png

Well I'm a big fan of the PixelJunk games and a lot of those exclusives were some of the best parts of owning a PS3. I know a lot of people don't care about retail packaging of games any more, but I sure do. For me, it's about the posterity, the package preserved and playable on PS3's in a future where PSN is no longer serving up those downloads.

For Sony, I would think it would be about all those 12GB PS3's that just came out that they are trying to sell.

Here's the collection that came out in Asia, only three games, out of print:

What say, GAF? XBox Live Uno lives forever pressed to plastic, but no retail life for Shooter, Shooter 2, Sidescroller, 4.a.m., or the entirety of expression that was PS3 PixelJunk? How could we convince Sony a nice PixelJunk package would sell very well, thank you? If not now, maybe in the Spring after PS4 is out?

Forgive me, PixelJunk guys, if you did not want me to try and make a deal of this. When I want something badly to exist, I cannot resist...

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Bothers me, probably Milky too. Posterity, man.

Why does PS4 coming out mean they can't publish what is essentially a file dump on disc?

That doesn't make any sense.

dugdug

Banned
Much as I love the PixelJunk games, I wouldn't be surprised if us PJ fans are too small a base for this to become a reality.

I almost have 100 PSN friends, and, maybe 2 of them have played any one PJ game. I champion them when I can, but, not many will listen. Anecdotal, I know, but, still.

Imbarkus

I can only guess Marketing focus.

Maybe it's best it doesn't drop with no fanfare. I'd be cool with after the PS4 launch, but I fear it will just keep sliding down on the priority list at that point and never happen.

Imbarkus

There's a lot that's still exclusive to the platform. Sure I'd love that to change...

Imbarkus

I don't know what the story is on Dungeons. They're working on Inc., which I think is PC lead right now.

Did anyone even know this came out? I bought it for $20 rollback at WallyMart, first time I'd seen nor heard of it. Seems like kind of afterthought packaging, etc. Also cause for concern.

Birbo

Pixeljunk Shooter 1 & 2 and Monsters have been some of my most enjoyed PS3 games. Hell, being able to stream Shooter 1 to my Vita was a selling point for the system to me. I just want new entries in those series as well as Vita versions. I'd kill for a proper Shooter 1 & 2 collection on the Vita!

Imbarkus

The one they mentioned on the bombcast?

Fuck I already forgot the handle...

Celegus

Great games, but I don't see it being very profitable. Most of anyone with any interest in those games has already played them, and most people aren't in the habit of rebuying games they've already played. Especially given how small they are size wise, it's not much of a burden keeping them on my hard drive.

besada

Banned
PJ Monsters was my favorite game on the PS3 this gen. I'm even playing their heinous rip-off version on Facebook. I've all but given up on seeing a sequel.

Imbarkus

Yeah but it wouldn't really represent a lot of cost, either, would it?

Isn't it conceivable that 12Gb PS3 is for people not-so-much downloading their games off the PSN, even if the PixelJunk ones are pretty small, size-wise? Still a pretty large portion of the PS3 audience in North America in particular with sub-standard internet that PixelJunk games have essentially been unavailable to, right?

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah but it wouldn't really represent a lot of cost, either, would it?

Isn't it conceivable that 12Gb PS3 is for people not-so-much downloading their games off the PSN, even if the PixelJunk ones are pretty small, size-wise? Still a pretty large portion of the PS3 audience in North America in particular with sub-standard internet that PixelJunk games have essentially been unavailable to, right?
I'm not 100% sure, but i think that these games are being installed like the PSN download version, but it uses the disc as DRM (you need to have the disc in the PS3 for the games to work).

Imbarkus

I'm not 100% sure, but i think that these games are being installed like the PSN download version, but it uses the disc as DRM (you need to have the disc in the PS3 for the games to work).

Yeah, so it wouldn't save so much on the 12GB HD space, but it would still reach people with crummy internet, who don't download games, etc...

Plus then I can reinstall them on a used PS3 in 20 years...

Gadirok

I don't know what the story is on Dungeons. They're working on Inc., which I think is PC lead right now.

Did anyone even know this came out? I bought it for $20 rollback at WallyMart, first time I'd seen nor heard of it. Seems like kind of afterthought packaging, etc. Also cause for concern.

Given that they never announced nor released a volume 2, I'm guessing it didn't fare so well.

I recall them announcing a bundle and I think it was a leak or rumor going around prior to the announcement over the PSN collections 1.

I saw it myself at some supermarkets a few times. Never been interested enough to pick it up since I already own Tokyo Jungle.

First time I see it, but it's on amazon for the same price right now.

zroid

Banned
Yeah it would've been cool. I don't think I would've bought it, because, despite my affinity for physical packaging, I couldn't be arsed to double dip on the games. I already have the whole lot of them, except 4am.

Definitely a neat little trinket for fans of the series, however.

Imbarkus

I thought the Journey Collector's Edition was a nice package, and that was really only three games. I double-dipped for the package and the permanence.

I would kill for ports of Shooter 1 & 2 + Sidescroller on Vita, w/ a physical release on a single game card. Maybe DoubleEleven will get to that next.

Some of my favorite games of the generation.

Agent X

This would've been nice. I probably wouldn't have bought such a collection myself, since I've already got all of the games on PSN. A package at retail could have exposed these games to a new audience that previously had no access to them.

Conversions for Vita or PS4 would be cool.

Imbarkus

I'd love new versions too but it doesn't seem likely does it?

Best I feel I can hope for in that regard is for the ones that haven't come to PC to... you know.. come to PC...

Rich!

I would absolutely love to have the complete collection. Either on Steam or PSN.

I'm holding out on purchasing them all separately just in case. But this news is disheartening...

Imbarkus

I might still track down the Asian release, good thing PS3 is region-free...

Gadirok

I would absolutely love to have the complete collection. Either on Steam or PSN.

I'm holding out on purchasing them all separately just in case. But this news is disheartening...

Honestly, I got three of them for 2 dollars, then pixel junk shooter for a dollar and thats all I ever invested in this franchise. Back during the sale for when 4am was about to go live in early 2012. It was worth it, but I don't think I would ever spend money on a complete collection for PS4 as some other poster said.

They're not all that. They are decent games, but I don't think I would have paid more than what I paid for them.

Would rather have bit.trip go multiplat and bring all their titles to PS4 and pay for that collection instead.

Much as I love the PixelJunk games, I wouldn't be surprised if us PJ fans are too small a base for this to become a reality.

I almost have 100 PSN friends, and, maybe 2 of them have played any one PJ game. I champion them when I can, but, not many will listen. Anecdotal, I know, but, still.

There was a tweet by the dev from Double 11 that Monsters did 350k. Saying that I doubt a disc version would do well. Just seem the kind of games perfect for the downloadable space.

HiVision

This is Dylan here, thanks for asking that to the podcast, I wish Sony had gone ahead with this product but obviously they have a lot of strategic reasons to concentrate solely on PS4 right now.

PixelJunk Monsters was my first digital download game/purchase and it's been one of my most beloved series of games from this gen so a PixelJunk Collection would've been a really nice addition to my physical game library.

It's also a little sad to see Q-Games next game move away from the PlayStation platform but I'll be buying it on PC regardless.

Imbarkus

This is Dylan here, thanks for asking that to the podcast, I wish Sony had gone ahead with this product but obviously they have a lot of strategic reasons to concentrate solely on PS4 right now.

Hi Dylan thanks for popping by!

Do you think they will reconsider a PS3 collection after the release of PS4? Or do you mean think the ship has sailed?

Imbarkus

Dylan Cuthbert drops by thread, thread dies? What is this Bizarro GAF?

Imbarkus

Once the PS4 is out, will Sony come back to give any sort of consideration to these PS3 releases?

I fear that waiting is just a death sentence for the release.

HiVision

Once the PS4 is out, will Sony come back to give any sort of consideration to these PS3 releases?

I fear that waiting is just a death sentence for the release.

I'm not sure really - I think the best thing that might happen is that they are packaged/bundled up on PSN somehow, or maybe for Gaikai?

wizzbang

Banned
PJ Monsters was my favorite game on the PS3 this gen. I'm even playing their heinous rip-off version on Facebook. I've all but given up on seeing a sequel.

You're doing yourself a disservice not buying it on PC / Steam then - they added the content from the PSP (not the Vita, the PSP) and the graphics look totally tip top now in 2560x1440.
Search for the thread I created on it, some great shots in there.

Imbarkus

I'm not sure really - I think the best thing that might happen is that they are packaged/bundled up on PSN somehow, or maybe for Gaikai?

Have you guys considered PC versions of Shooter, Shooter 2, and Sidescroller (I guess Racer might be a little too much to hope for). Package them up on Steam, PixelJunk SteamPunk?

Sounds like the retail package is totally torpedoed. I'm so bummed.

Imbarkus

You're doing yourself a disservice not buying it on PC / Steam then - they added the content from the PSP (not the Vita, the PSP) and the graphics look totally tip top now in 2560x1440.
Search for the thread I created on it, some great shots in there.

I'll double-dip on PC for both Eden and Monsters.

Shooter 1, Shooter 2, and Sidescroller need PC versions or PS4 or something so they can live on. 4 a.m. and Visualizer are kind of tied to the platform.

It just bothers me that PixelJunk downloadable titles were some of the early innovators that even got anyone interested in PSN. Eden and then Monsters drove a lot of interest and traffic to the service, by being exclusives. And after so many great titles, they are part-and-parcel of the PS3 experience.

Deserves a collection so a PS3, unboxed from storage or whatever in 10 years, can have a PixelJunk game installed on it for revisiting that experience.

I realize this is a business and they have a PS4 to launch but they thought enough of the PS3 experience to put together a new SKU with just 12GB of storage for DLC. This release is getting after-thoughted even right now as I double-post in this thread because it was delayed so long that all the attention is on the new consoles. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't sell...

wizzbang

Banned
I'd probably buy a definitive collection on disc I must admit.
PJ: Shooter 1 and 2 were ok - but they are just too 'normal' I like the quirkyness of the others. Monsters can kind of be played casually but it isn't all about twitch reflexes and eden has just such a great sound track.

I want to scope out the soup factory one, is that "inc" ?

Yagharek

I have the Asian version 3 in 1 Pixeljunk collection. Such a nice series of games.

I've bought I think all their games to date on PSN/DSi. Some of them are damn hard too.

What else are Q Games working on aside from the next Pixeljunk game (the one debuting on Steam - Pixeljunk Inc I think its called)

Imbarkus

Now that i think about it, there are so many PSN exclusives that need some sort of disc release to ensure posterity, that never came out on other platforms.

Housemarque is another studio that deserves one. If I can't play Super Stardust HD in 20 years when I'm retired, I'm going to be bummed out. Sony Studio Japan as well. I just finally bought The Last Guy yesterday. Always kinda wanted it.

But none more than PixelJunk. Not even ThatGameCompany.

I don't think they have shared what they are working on yet, other than PixelJunk Inc.

Inc. looks really cool. The move to PC really seems to have more to do with the game itself and what it's trying to accomplish, but is it also a sign, along with this release being scrapped, that the strategic Sony/PixelJunk partnership is not going to be a priority in the future?

Top Bottom