• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis to gay Catholic: 'Your homosexuality doesn't matter'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pope phones gay French Catholic to reassure him

Pope Francis tried to reassure a young gay French Catholic by calling him on the telephone and telling him “Your homosexuality. It doesn't matter”, according to reports on Friday.

Christophe Trutino a 25-year-old sales assistant from Toulouse in the south west of France had written to the Pope to explain his difficulties in reconciling his sexuality with his faith.

Last Thursday, he received a response, but perhaps not in the way he was expecting.

There was no photocopied standard letter of support written by one of the Pontiff’s assistants but instead a phone call from the head of the Catholic Church himself.

Trutino picked up the call at around 2pm on Thursday, he told local newspaper La Dépêche du Midi.

"It was he who started the conversation," Trutino said. " He said 'Christopher? It's Pope Francis'. I was unsettled, of course. I asked, " Really? " He replied : "Yes."

"I know it's hard to believe, but it really happened like that. From that momenton , I no longer doubted," said the ypoung Frenchman.

“I received the letter that you sent me. You need to remain courageous and continue to believe and pray and stay good,” the Pope told him during the nine-minute conversation in Spanish.

“Your homosexuality. It doesn’t matter. One way or another , we are all children of God. This is why we must continue to be good," the Pope told him.

Trutino said the phone call concluded with the Pope asking the young man to pray for him and that he would do the same in return.

“When I hung up the phone, I was completely filled with emotion," the student told Midi Libre.

"I was shaking. At the same time, the conversation was very relaxed. It was like a call from a friend, nice, very human.”

Earlier this year France’s divisive gay marriage bill was fiercely opposed by the country’s powerful Catholic Church, which helped organize mass protests that brought hundreds of thousands out onto the streets.

Anti-gay marriage protestors were blamed for the subsequent rise in homophobia. In one incident a gay couple were severely beaten in a Paris street by youths.

In his letter to the Pope Trutino told the Pontiff how he had suffered homophobic insults throughout his life.

"I am a practicing Catholic and gay. In July, I went through a period of doubt,” he said. “Since my childhood I suffered bullying and insults, both at school and in the street .

“The Pope seemed different, closer to the people. So I took a piece of paper, and I wrote thirty lines. I confided to him my doubts. I gave him my address and telephone, and I sent it to the official address of the Vatican,” he told La Dépêche du Midi.

Pope Francis had already expressed his tolerance towards homosexuality on a visit to Brazil earlier this year when he said “If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"

When contacted by La Depeche du Midi the director of the Vatican's press office said they could not comment on private matters and declined to confirm or deny that Pope had made the call.

This is however not the first time the Pope has picked up the phone to talk to his faithful. In August he called a woman who had been raped by an Argentinian policeman and had written to the Pontiff asking for help.

“You’re not alone,” he told her.
http://www.thelocal.fr/20130906/pope-calls-gay-french-student-to-reassure-him

Aiii

So not worth it
Now there you go, that's the Pope Catholics deserve.

This guy is already infinitely better than the old pope.

watershed

Banned
Does he mean it doesn't matter as long as you don't have sex or any homosexual relationships? Because I've heard that argument from religious people before: it's fine that your gay as long as you don't perform any homosexual acts. In other words, repress yourself in the name of God.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There'll only be something new here when/if he says 'If you express your homosexuality. It doesn’t matter.'

Otherwise I'm just seeing the same old same old. 'Be good'. i.e. be abstinent.

markot

Banned
Sex outside marriage is bad.

Gays cant get married.

Gays having hanky are getting the spanky from satan.

He didnt say its ok to be gay.

ace3skoot

i think it good that he is sending a good message to catholics and hopefully all christians.

Thing you got remember is how long the church has been around, they will adapt to the zeitgeist of what ever time they find themselves in eventually, all along claiming they were the ones who brought the message of love and change, rather than being dragged kicking and screaming :p

ironically the churchs ability to adapt and evolve is what has allowed it to survive and continue to do so. but other than all my cynicism this is generally a good thing i guess.

Azulsky

But the bible......

Jesus washed the feet of a hooker.

Pope just rang up this guy to offer reassurance.

Many christian sects aside from the catholic church are now adopting this "embrace the sinner" stance as opposed to the GTFO stance with gays used previously.

At some point they were probably realized how bigoted they were.

baby steps

Um...

"Father Lombardi, a spokesman for the Vatican “firmly denied” claims by the young gay Catholic that the Pope had made a private telephone call to him last week.

After previously declining to deny or confirm the call, in which Christophe Trutino claimed the Pope told him “Your homosexuality doesn’t matter” Lombardi told Le Figaro newspaper: “The Pope never called this person.”

Maybe he phoned him off-the-book as it were. Can't be having the officials see the Pope being inclusive.

boiled goose

good with gravy
As an atheist and a huge supporter of gay rights, I see this as progress.

The less dogmatic religions become the better. The influence of the bible and god will continue to get smaller and smaller.

Of course, I'd rather they chuck the whole thing entirely, but I'll take tolerance over hatred any day.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Jesus washed the feet of a hooker.

Pope just rang up this guy to offer reassurance.

Many christian sects aside from the catholic church are now adopting this "embrace the sinner" stance as opposed to the GTFO stance with gays used previously.

At some point they were probably realized how bigoted they were.

baby steps

yep, and the main point I take away from stories involving the new pope is the church elected him knowing full well his stance in these areas.

I think it's more to do with the fact that Pope Francis is a Jesuit. And I think the fact that the Vatican chose him has more to do with creating a contrast from the last pope, who was eyeball deep in covering up molestation, than with appealing to atheists (who generally don't give a shit about the pope's opinion and aren't likely to anytime soon).
We are in agreement here. I wasn't implying they were trying to gain popularity among atheists, but rather saying the church realises it isn't as strong as it once was and this isn't going to change any time soon. So encouraging further ideological division within the christian world is something they're more inclined to be against at this point. To be perfectly honest this was also my interpretation when prior to Pope Francis being elected, it was said an African Pope was seriously considered.

edit: regarding the previous Pope, the way I saw it he was always meant to be a transitional figure because it would have been difficult for anyone to try and fill the shoes of John Paul II. Accordingly, he was elected at a very old age. The fact he ended up resigning reinforces my opinion that the church never intended for his ideology to be the one guiding the catholic world into the 21st century.

Not to be too cynical but I imagine the catholic church is aware of rising levels of atheism in the western world, and this is a concession they wouldn't have made otherwise.
I think it's more to do with the fact that Pope Francis is a Jesuit. And I think the fact that the Vatican chose him has more to do with creating a contrast from the last pope, who was eyeball deep in covering up molestation they want to distance themselves from publicly, than with appealing to atheists (who generally don't give a shit about the pope's opinion and aren't likely to anytime soon).

ace3skoot

The less dogmatic religions become the better. The influence of the bible and god will continue to get smaller and smaller.

Of course, I'd rather they chuck the whole thing entirely, but I'll take tolerance over hatred any day.

*bro fist*

Unless he's said it's not a sin to have homosexual intercourse / sex in general for purposes other than procreation, he's just phrasing the existing church stance in a nice way.

Martian

Great!
Im not expecting big leaps, and this is just a small step, but what a step this is.

Even if Francis wants less aversion against gays, its not like he can say: stop acting against gays. He would lose a lot of his followers and if change is needed, he needs to do it step by step.

A reasonable pope in a long time

TheMan

as far as i can remember, there is no rule against being gay per se, but having gay sex is still a no-no

Moff

didnt he say that earlier in the year already?
but added thats its ok to be gay but its wrong to have a gay physical relationship?

I dont see much good in that, sorry

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I agree it is good in that it may help to humanise gay people in the eyes of some who maybe do not have any contact themselves with gay people and only view homosexuality through a lens created by the Church, their religion, or affiliated media. There are still such people. So that is welcome. It is 'friendlier' and will hopefully encourage friendlier behaviour...it would be easy for a pope, like many before him, to simply say nothing about homosexuality, or when it is being spoken about, to be spoken about purely in the negative.

However, I think a bigger step for him now - short of a policy change on homosexual expression/activity - would be to at least revise out some of the wording about homosexuality itself in official documents (e.g. references to it being 'disordered' etc).

F#A#Oo

Banned
He's not really saying homosexuality is fine and dandy. He's taking a position of not caring and leaving the judgement side of things to god.

He's still against homosexuality in one form or another we just don't know with which caveat/position he takes.

I mean is it a sin to be gay but not act on your impulses?

He doesnt seem to know much about his own religion >_>

I believe the savior religions like Islam and Christendom can become better by moving with the times. There is wisdom and cool stories within. They just need to stop with the bullcrap. Then everything will be better. Everything contradicts itself with these religions, and if they truly are about love, then this pope is more right about the most important message of the religion than anyone before him.

Mr_Zombie

I mean is it a sin to be gay but not act on your impulses?

According to the Church, no. If you have homosexual tendencies BUT do not act on your impulses THEN it's ok. Embracing your homosexuality, being in gay relationships or having gay intercourses is still a sin.

According to the Church, no. If you have homosexual tendencies BUT do not act on your impulses THEN it's ok. Embracing your homosexuality, being in gay relationships or having gay intercourses is still a sin.

Isn't premarital (straight) sex a sin anyway? So as far the church is concerned gay or straight(-unless married) if you engage in a sexual relationship you are a sinner anyway.

addik

Isn't premarital (straight) sex a sin anyway? So as far the church is concerned gay or straight(-unless married) if you engage in a sexual relationship you are a sinner anyway.

I'm taking up a course in Marriage, Family and Sexuality in a Theological Perspective in a progressive Catholic university (it's a required class). We're not yet done with our course, but it's interesting that what has been said so far about this is that this is not actually an absolute rule. There can be cases where in the conscience must be used to discern if it's good or bad (and you have to take in to account relativity).

It's not that I want to debate about it though. Just putting it out there as food for though.

For some odd reason, I think this is a prank call though.

Mr_Zombie

Yes. But don't tell that to those straight people claiming that "Gay is sin" while they themselves make out with their girlfriends/boyfriends. ;)

thefro

I'm taking up a course in Marriage, Family and Sexuality in a Theological Perspective in a progressive Catholic university (it's a required class). We're not yet done with our course, but it's interesting that what has been said so far about this is that this is not actually an absolute rule. There can be cases where in the conscience must be used to discern if it's good or bad (and you have to take in to account relativity).

That's the key point here... you're probably not going to see many bishops saying something like that. Generally the universities are going to be more liberal on that.

Double D

“Your homosexuality. It doesn’t matter. One way or another , we are all children of God. Just don't put weiners in your mouth or butt," the Pope told him.

V_Arnold

Unless he's said it's not a sin to have homosexual intercourse / sex in general for purposes other than procreation, he's just phrasing the existing church stance in a nice way.

Yeah, the leader of one of the biggest religions in this world calling you personally and saying that "it is okay, that you should not feel guilty or bad, just continue being good" is a little more than phrasing something a nice way.

There are statements that which the vatican will retract anyway, and there are personal battles worth waging. It is great, imho, to see the current Pope actually waging such battles. Even if it means fighting against evils that his "own" religion created.

Prez

Yeah, the leader of one of the biggest religions in this world calling you personally and saying that "it is okay, that you should not feel guilty or bad, just continue being good" is a little more than phrasing something a nice way.

It's called publicity.

Yeah sure. He's just like any other Pope, just a little more sneaky.
The Church needed a more likeable Pope, so they chose this one. But homosexuality won't be accepted, so what the hell? What's the difference?
Gays still can't get married in Italy.
I don't buy his bullshit.

Prez

If helping a troubled believer also gives them good publicity, so be it.
Also, I do not recall the pope issuing a statement that "yeah, I called him".

Doesn't have to. Things like that usually leak to the press and they know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom