• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 has Voice & Facial Recognition. "Knack" supports PS Camera features

satam55

Banned
Sony Confirms PlayStation Camera has Both Voice and Facial Recognition
September 18, 2013 Written by Sebastian Moss

We previously showed you leaked information confirming voice recognition with the PS4, but Sony tried to distance itself from the news. Now, during TGS, it has once again been confirmed.

The PlayStation Camera will support both voice and facial recognition, with Knack given as an example of a supporting game. Sony’s Masayasu Ito revealed the news, adding “we will never stop evolving PlayStation”.

The PS Camera releases alongside the the PS4 for $59.99, although we should point out that voice support has so far only been confirmed for Japanese and English.

Source: PlaystationLifestyle
Hmmm....

TriGen

I wasn't initially planning on getting one, but I've come around more to the idea lately. $60 isn't bad.

I like the idea of this and Kinect being used for recording/streaming when you have more than one person in the room commentating.

dugdug

Banned
I thought they said remote play won't work with games that have camera features. Maybe only if the camera features are optional?

VanWinkle

I think the guy mentioned that you can say "Playstation, start Knack" to start the game. So I guess there will be stuff like that.

I thought they said remote play won't work with games that have camera features. Maybe only if the camera features are optional?

Yes, Remote Play works on any game that isn't camera-REQUIRED (or Move-required).

satam55

Banned
I think the guy mentioned that you can say "Playstation, start Knack" to start the game. So I guess there will be stuff like that.

Yes, Remote Play works on any game that isn't camera-REQUIRED (or Move-required).

No one could tell because the translators were horrible.

RedAssedApe

Banned
wonder if third parties who are working on kinect 2.0 will be able to just shoehorn their kinect supported features into the ps4 + camera version.

VanWinkle

Ok, I asked Yoshida for clarification on the voice command, and here was his reply.

jbjJSn9rLJkdSd.JPG

So it's not so much...conversational, but you can seemingly navigate throughout the OS with voice commands.

jaypah

I guess those that like Kinect 2.0 will be more interested in the PS Camera if they're getting both consoles.

I'm getting both (PS4 at launch) and I'm excited for both cameras. Of course I had the original Kinect and the cameras for PS2 and PS3. I just really dig silly motion/AR gaming. Between that and plastic music instrument, DJ hero turn tables and my wheel/pedals I've been recreating the happiness and variety of the arcade in my home this Gen. It's one of the reasons that our parties were so much fun. And alcohol but that's a given.

edit: This may be a premature question but do we know if this is OS wide or if it has to be programed into titles individually? I'm assuming from the tweet that it's just an OS level function which would be nice.

Fredrik

Exactly, its good for people who actually care about it or want it. I wont be interested of course, but allowing this as an option is great vision.
I don't know, in general I think it could be said that accessories out of the box won't be supported by the devs quite as well or imaginative as if the thing is included in every box. Personally I'm a bit disappointed at Sony for not including it in the box. They've already tried having accessories with Move last gen, awesome tech but incredibly underused by devs. And dual shock 4 have Move tech built-in with the light strip so it's even weirder now, it's like they changed their mind in the last minute after the controller design was already finished based on having a camera in every box. :/

But maybe they got greedy? They know that lots of people will buy the accessory anyway. Sadly not enough to make it fully supported though is my guess, probably just enough to get the regular full on Move/Cam-games and the occasional Move/Cam-edition of a normal game, just like last gen.

But we'll se what happens. It's just a missed opportunity in my opinion. PS4+Cam+Move controllers in every box would turn it into the ultimate console. Core controller, motion controls, voice recognition, touch controls, second screen capabilities. Can't beat that.

B.O.O.M

Ok, I asked Yoshida for clarification on the voice command, and here was his reply.

jbjJSn9rLJkdSd.JPG

So it's not so much...conversational, but you can seemingly navigate throughout the OS with voice commands.

It's a cool addition. Dunno if I will ever bother using it tho. Well i guess it depends on how well it works

A little Birdy at Sony told me that they're waaay behind Apple, Microsoft, and Google when it comes to voice recognition. He straight up said don't even expect much.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
A little Birdy at Sony told me that they're waaay behind Apple, Microsoft, and Google when it comes to voice recognition. He straight up said don't even expect much.

Should you ever expect much when Voice Controls? Answer, no.

The kinect has some pretty great, directional microphones though. I would be interested to see what the tech in the sony camera could achieve. As it is now, I could be watching a fairly loud show and lazily spit kinect commands into the air and it always works. And that's just with the gen one kinect.

VanWinkle

The kinect has some pretty great, directional microphones though. I would be interested to see what the tech in the sony camera could achieve. As it is now, I could be watching a fairly loud show and lazily spit kinect commands into the air and it always works. And that's just with the gen one kinect.

Well, it has 4 mics for directionality. I don't think there's anything to worry about with that particular aspect.

although we should point out that voice support has so far only been confirmed for Japanese and English.

well i'm glad this is completely optional and isnt delaying launch in specific countries, though it still is pretty unfortunate

demolitio

I kind have figured this but it's good to hear nonetheless. The optional route is the best way to approach it.

I'm going to find it funny if ANY of the voice recognition works in more countries at launch than the X1. For touting the Kinect so much, that was surprising to hear. The fact that we're just now hearing about this is kind of funny and Sony is definitely taking a laid back approach to everything but the games. They don't go looking for a fight or make endless comparisons and just let their games do the work. It's refreshing.

I remember the first time I played SOCOM 1's SP and they had voice commands for your AI and it's something that really got overlooked at the time yet was quite the foreshadowing. Some of the things that series did in general is still overlooked or are just now coming to other big games but the voice recognition had to be the most underrated.

I kind have figured this but it's good to hear nonetheless. The optional route is the best way to approach it.

I'm going to find it funny if ANY of the voice recognition works in more countries at launch than the X1. For touting the Kinect so much, that was surprising to hear. The fact that we're just now hearing about this is kind of funny and Sony is definitely taking a laid back approach to everything but the games. They don't go looking for a fight or make endless comparisons and just let their games do the work. It's refreshing.

I remember the first time I played SOCOM 1's SP and they had voice commands for your AI and it's something that really got overlooked at the time yet was quite the foreshadowing. Some of the things that series did in general is still overlooked or are just now coming to other big games but the voice recognition had to be the most underrated.

I don't know about that. This is more of a "me too" statement. Sony is notorious for these kind of moves when it comes to system launches. Remember when Ken Kutaragi came out in his white suit introducing sixaxis after everyone lost their minds over the wii controller?

I don't know about that. This is more of a "me too" statement. Sony is notorious for these kind of moves when it comes to system launches.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with "me too" moves. Companies trying to close the gap on feature parity is only for the better.

It's only bad to me when resources are pulled away to support features I don't care about.

Like Sony London doing useless AR shit with Wonderbook with PSEye/Move.

Top Bottom