• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis: Church can't interfere with gays

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/19/pope-francis-church-cant-interfere-with-gays/

(CNN) -- Pope Francis said the church has the right to express its opinions but not to "interfere spiritually" in the lives of gays and lesbians, expanding on explosive comments he made in July about not judging homosexuals.

In a wide-ranging interview published Thursday, the pope also said that women must play a key role in church decisions and brushed off critics who say he should be more vocal about fighting abortion and gay marriage.

Moreover, if the church fails to find a "new balance" between its spiritual and political missions, the pope warned, its moral foundation will "fall like a house of cards."

The interview, released by Jesuit magazines in several different languages and 16 countries on Thursday, offers perhaps the most expansive and in-depth view of Francis' vision for the Roman Catholic Church.

The pope's comments don't break with Catholic doctrine or policy, but instead show a shift in approach, moving from censure to engagement.

bonercop

this pope is rad. If you're bothered by the catholic church's terrible tendency towards aiding socially regressive nonsense, francis is a godsend.

It's fun to watch him make a statement, and the institutional Vatican scramble to say he misspoke.

I hope Catholics are taking note.

Veelk

Banned
I hope he continues to be the head of the church for a good long time, hopefully implement good changes within it. Dude is like Super Pope

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It sucks that his "transgressions" will probably cause the next pope to be a run of the mill safe, conservative lover of catholic dogma.

jmdajr

“This church with which we should be thinking is the home of all, not a small chapel that can hold only a small group of selected people,” he said. “We must not reduce the bosom of the universal church to a nest protecting our mediocrity.”

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In a sense, it was inevitable that eventually the church would have a leader that had no choice but to deal with reality.

The knowledge and views of humanity are slowly but steadily shifting away from the beliefs and assertions of that particular ancient religious order. If that order wishes to maintain any relevance or usefulness to the world at large, it's going to have to change.

No, but they can interfere with children.

Cheap joke, I know. The public face of this Pope has been a refreshing change, and hopefully it reflects internal thinking at the Vatican too.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I like this pope
He looks pretty young (for a 76 year old anyway) so I hope he stays around and makes a lasting change
Until the next pope comes in and changes everything that is

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
not to "interfere spiritually" in the lives of gays and lesbians

What does that even mean?

And will they stop interfering practically in the lives of gays and lesbians by dropping opposition to civil marriage equality when it arises in individual countries?

Wilsongt

Man, this Pope is really going all out to break the norms. We need more Popes that don't come from the European area.

"We should be nice to people" being an explosive idea is wacky.
Seriously. I'm really liking his "don't be a dick" attitude towards groups his religion opposes and I hope he is around long enough that this attitude will persist. So many problems would be solved if people were less dickish to each other.

witness

This is my Pope. After the disappointment with Benedict in every way, I was so let down when he was elected after JP II, Pope Francis was the perfect choice for a 21st century Pope. I just hope nothing happens to him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom