• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs on Wii U visually "between next & current gen", closer to current

Expected I guess.
And as for the look of the game, Morin expects the PC build to remain the best-looking version, with Wii U's graphical fidelity lying somewhere in between current and next-gen offerings.

"I think it's even going to be a bit better. If you pump the PC to its maximum there are things in the filtering and rendering that I think are possible on high-end PCs that are pretty amazing. Wii U is pretty much in-between - it's neither of them, not current-gen, maybe closer to current-gen than next-gen."
Thanks Eurogamer

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If true, that's good.
It would be in line with what the system is (more similar to the current gen than the next one, but slightly better)
Hopefully it will be good in using the gamepad, and hitting the shelves in time

Yup, I would say that this is expected. Doesn't the Wii U have for example 1GB memory for games? (far less than the other next gen consoles, but still more than current gen)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This and ACIV are going to be a fascinating DF comparisons. PS3, 360, Wii U, PS4, XBO, PC. Each version may wind up looking fairly different.

Busty

Banned
With all the lod in the pa4 vids is say it will be fine.

xqYNEav.gif

daman824

Knowing how recent unisoft games run, if they can get te ps3/360 version locked at 30fps on the wii u that would be good.

-Horizon-

So in between, leaning more towards current gen but still somewhat beyond it. Its what I expected. Now, about that GamePad use.

Allforce

I feel like a big portion of this games appeal is going to be bleeding edge graphics, but I guess if you only have a WiiU at least you get to play it.

I feel another Assassins Creed scenario coming on. Great graphics, interesting concept and world, terrible story and repetitive gameplay. Yearly releases.

daman824

Well after one year of "inferior to ps360 games" trolling, it is good to hear. In fact, I'm just relieved that this version exists, I feared that Ubi would drop a "CoD" on us.
Dont get too excited, wait until the first batch of dlc.

I bought injusctice for the wii u expecting to get the same treatment that everyone else was getting. But then patches and extra characters started coming out.....

I feel like a big portion of this games appeal is going to be bleeding edge graphics, but I guess if you only have a WiiU at least you get to play it.

I feel another Assassins Creed scenario coming on. Great graphics, interesting concept and world, terrible story and repetitive gameplay. Yearly releases.

Then that's a terrible reason to want a game...a big part of the appeal was what looked like true emergent gameplay and the hacking, which should be amazing using the Wii U gamepad

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ubisoft taking the WiiU version serious is nice to hear - hope it sell well on the system.

MarkusRJR

Guess I'll pick it in February when it drops to $20 like all Holiday Ubisoft games over the past 4 years. Hopefully the framerate/pop-in is fine. Wii U has more RAM than the PS3/360 and a better GPU, but the CPU is worse and the RAM is way slower. In an open world game that sounds like a bad situation.

Might just pick up the Xbox One version it I get one by then.

Zalman

Between current and next gen sounds good, but what I'm really interested in is how the game will use the GamePad. That's going to be the deciding factor for folks who own multiple consoles, I believe.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Needs a "Shocking News" in the title.

True, if we just dind' have tons of topics and posts about how the Wii U is inferior to PS360 HW (not the Wii U versions of PS360 ports, that is another topic)

The thing I'm most interested into at the moment, do we know anything about it?

This...unfortunately nothing sure yet.
They simply said: "well it's quite obvious how we will use it"

Hoo-doo

Banned
I can't help it, by the way, but since playing GTA5, Watch_dogs looks like a complete joke to me. In gameplay, in story, in characters and in setting.

I hope this game is truly something special because open-world games have to step up big right now.

Allforce

Then that's a terrible reason to want a game...a big part of the appeal was what looked like true emergent gameplay and the hacking, which should be amazing using the Wii U gamepad

"was" being the operative word here. The latest vids make it seem less emergent and more full of scripted scenarios. And a checklist of "things to hack" that are largely superfluous.

Would the gamepad actually improve the gameplay or would it just be a gimmick with touch screen minigames? I think most would prefer better graphics tbh. I don't see any third party dev doing anything special with the gamepad.

sörine

Banned
Probably a NFS:MW type scenario where it's roughly the same geometry, but better textures?
Improved lighting too maybe? Wii U seems to lean toward more current generation performance with more next generation lighting and rendering models.

It will be interesting to see how this and AC4 turn out technically on Wii U with a year of getting to grips with the hardware under Ubisoft's belt. People nitpick AC3 a lot but I felt it was a pretty great effort for launch.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There was lots of shadow lod pop in and model lod pop in.

Like you see a low res shadow and walk toward it .. Then it "pops" to a higher res one.

Doesn't that mean that the Wii-U version will have it even worse then? Or no shadows at all? How is this in any way related to the above statements?

Guess I'll pick it in February when it drops to $20 like all Holiday Ubisoft games over the past 4 years. Hopefully the framerate/pop-in is fine. Wii U has more RAM than the PS3/360 and a better GPU, but the CPU is worse and the RAM is way slower. In an open world game that sounds like a bad situation.

Might just pick up the Xbox One version it I get one by then.

the CPU is not worse its just different (in some ways its beaten by and in some ways it can handily beat the 360's) and memory speed has been stated by developers not to be an issue at all

pixlexic

Banned
Doesn't that mean that the Wii-U version will have it even worse then? Or no shadows at all? How is this in any way related to the above statements?

Because people are comparing the versions here. They say it's between next gen and current gen. I am just setting the mark for next Gen versions . They are not as far from current gen than you may think.

PusherT

I can't wait hopefully this game has some cool Miiverse integration in it. Like Ingame Miiverse messages popping up or Miiverse streams . Ubisoft did an amazing job on Splintercell using the Wiipad so I'm confident they will nail that . The graphics if they are using the Wii U power will be a nice step up from Xox 360.

FreeMufasa

LOL doubt it.

I remember ubi saying (n showin some fake pics) splinter cell double agent Wii being inbetween the xbox and the 360 version. Looked worse than both. Lol smh

I bought injusctice for the wii u expecting to get the same treatment that everyone else was getting. But then patches and extra characters started coming out.....

asscree 3 got the DLC

and maybe i'm wrong but wouldn't the dlc likely be all the extra content they're throwing in with the like 20 different special editions of the game, that are all confirmed for wii u

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't know but this sounds good to me. Means they at least cared enough to not just do the bare minimum and throw the ps360-level assets/effects in there and call it a day.

Hopefully they do the same with AC4.

LOL doubt it.

I remember ubi saying (n showin some fake pics) splinter cell double agent Wii being inbetween the xbox and the 360 version. Looked worse than both. Lol smh

Obviously it's exactly the same situation now, right?

D-e-f-

Banned

And all of them landed on Wii U. Just took them longer to get their act together.

I don't know but this sounds good to me. Means they at least cared enough to not just do the bare minimum and throw the ps360-level assets/effects in there and call it a day.

Hopefully they do the same with AC4.

?

well with watchdogs we know the wii u version has been in development a lot longer than the ps360 versions, I don't imagine that will have been the case for asscree4 so don't expect it to look any better, but i'd like to be wrong

Top Bottom