• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #131 - "Tour"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme: Tour

Word Limit: 1800

Submission Deadline: Friday, October 18th, by 11:59 p.m. Pacific

Voting begins Saturday, October 19th, and goes until Monday, October 21st at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Alternate Paths
Something that can be explored thematically... or even formally (let's all do Choose Your Own Adventure stories!).

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

Ashes

Banned
I reckon this might be the last one before NANOWRIMO. Not sure really. So alternate paths is kinda apt.

kehs

Banned
I just took two vacations that had me dealing with how I would do things.

I'm gonna make alot of you cry.

Mike M

Nick N
Oh no!

It's always saddest when a member of WritingGAF goes down.
Depends on context, it could mean hot WritingGAF on WritingGAF action.

I am so, so sorry I said that

EDIT: Oh damn, didn't see that kaepernickehs caught a ban. Now I look like an ass.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Just read some stories from previous threads and was really impressed!
Will try to come up with something for this week's challenge.

What's a NANOWRIMO?

Ashes

Banned
You entered the wrong topic, lady. I've got my game face on and I'm gonna write circles around you.

(I'm a dead man)

No, that's Irish.

What's NANOWRIMO?

It's a gig for writers to write a novel in the month of November. NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth.

The red wizard will have the thread up in a week or so, and normally, the creative writing thread closes for the month.

hey writing-gaf, so I have a friend who loves writing and is actually working on a novel right now. Anywho I told her about this thread you guys have and would love to join, I had her sign up for an account but she's not approved yet, is there anyway I could submit her work just for critique until she gets approved?? BTW you guys are amazing writers, I waste so much time reading the older stories at work :)

Ashes

Banned
hey writing-gaf, so I have a friend who loves writing and is actually working on a novel right now. Anywho I told her about this thread you guys have and would love to join, I had her sign up for an account but she's not approved yet, is there anyway I could submit her work just for critique until she gets approved?? BTW you guys are amazing writers, I waste so much time reading the older stories at work :)

It's fine. If you're reading older stories, you should note that Tangent's stories were posted by Cyan for the longest while.

Mike M

Nick N
I *really* want to do a Choose Your Own Adventure, but I can't possibly do it justice in only 1800 words...

Are there any content restrictions or the like I should be aware of? I read through the FAQ again briefly but didn't see anything and want to make sure I don't run afoul of any commonly accepted guidelines. One of my ideas could end up being fairly explicit, so I'll avoid it if that would be pushing things too far.

Ashes

Banned
Are there any content restrictions or the like I should be aware of? I read through the FAQ again briefly but didn't see anything and want to make sure I don't run afoul of any commonly accepted guidelines. One of my ideas could end up being fairly explicit, so I'll avoid it if that would be pushing things too far.

Mods don't enter the writing threads. So you're good.

Not to pick on anybody, but have a read of something like:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73102316&postcount=107

And see how you go from there ;)

Well except Cyan, but he hardly counts. Doesn't even put in requests for tags for us.

Careful Cyan has banned me twice already. Although to be honest I was kind of asking for it.
I asked for it.

As for this challenge, I'm hard at work on it today. It isn't going to be great writing, but I'm having a heap of fun with it.

Ward

The writing thread!

I remember when I used to have time to read it... even posting on occasion.

I hope that in posting I commit myself to entering. The last few I've started but not finished.

UraMallas

I want to start writing. We'll see how it goes.

Is Dropbox what we have to use if we want to link to a story? Is there a way to do it through SkyDrive and Word? If I start writing I want to chronicle my journey.

Is Dropbox what we have to use if we want to link to a story? Is there a way to do it through SkyDrive and Word? If I start writing I want to chronicle my journey.

Can use whatever you like, so long as we can all read it at the end.

Good luck!

Mike M

Nick N

Dropbox isn't at all necessary, however you want to host and share is up to you.

Okay. I wasn't sure if there was a preferred format. Thanks!

Also, I'm not quite sure what the secondary objective means.

You could do a literal interpretation -- if someone is on a museum tour, there are alternate paths.

You could do a thematic interpretation, with a character considering options.

You could do a formal interpretation and write a gd choose your own adventure story because awesome.

Or some other spin on it -- basically, whatever makes sense for your story, if something does (it's optional!).

"What Comes Next"

Unfortunately I just realised you will need the RTP package at http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages for it to work (free download, or own RPG maker VX of course). It is a ~180MB download and I'd struggle to say it is worth the effort. But if you do, thankyou ;)

capture19ktu.png

No password and it is a self-extracting file.

If anybody could tell me if it works for them, that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom