• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek defends Warface's sexy female armor, says driven by regional taste

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm sorry, but this was too funny not to post.

Blatant honesty like "Well the players asked for it and we like money so..." can be refreshing though.

At the link, he did reveal what the region preference in gun recoil was between Russia and China, but didn't go into further details in the difference in sexual taste between the regions.

Wired said:
"They were very comfortable with the fact we have these very realistic-looking men but they wanted the women to be not what we would think of as realistic at all. Up to and including running round in high heels which is just silly, right?"

Joshua Howard is talking about the female character models that were recently added to Warface, the free-to-play shooter he has been working on as executive producer at Crytek.
It's a global online gaming proposition and the discussion he and Wired.co.uk are having centres around how the game differs from region to region around the world.
"The female skins [are] a good example of how we see how culturally the different regions approach the same game in different ways," he says. "The skins we're showing right now are the skins that basically came out of our Russian region. They're not what our players at first requested in the Russian region. They tended to be considerably more extreme that what we ended up shipping with."
"You get these little differences you have to adjust for. The idea we were going to come up with one set of female skins across the world was clearly blown out of the water as we started to talk to more of our players and partners from different regions."
"We leaned a little Russian in these characters but we're doing another set of characters for our Chinese market, for example, and those are leaning in a different direction. It's interesting to see they are also somewhat unrealistic as compared to the males but differently than the Russians. [...] You look at the Chinese models and they're also disproportionate but in a way that's more... Chinese? I don't even know what language to use for that but they're different.
"Are you tempted to say, that's not right -- we're going to do it our way and you either get on board with this or you take your misogynistic views elsewhere?" I ask.

"There's a tension both ways," says Howard. "Early on we said we want to make this game appropriate for the different regions while maintaining a cohesiveness that's still Warface.
Coca Cola is Coca Cola all over the world even though honestly speaking that mix is different in many different countries. [...] There are some products that are 100 percent identical in every region of the world and that was not something we wanted to do with a shooter because people around the world play shooters very differently."
Source: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/07/warface-joshua-howard

Anyway here are how Russian Warface players prefer their female characters to look. If I remember, I'll bump the thread when we get the Chinese models and the North American models so you can compare.

female-soldier-warfacwjl7i.jpg

soldiers-warfacemeafs.jpg

Gbraga

The female sniper is a cool design actually, easily the best among those four.

Their reason is awful though and it really doesn't make any sense.

Amir0x

Banned
ok that is pretty offensive. how the males gonna be decked out with gear but the female character is all "yerp derp how do you body armor?"

Stop fucking conceding to ridiculous or backwards philosophies for "regional" reasons.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The female sniper is a cool design actually, easily the best among those four.

Their reason is awful though and it really doesn't make any sense.

The blatantness of their answer is what is really hilarious to me.

They didn't go "This is the vision we had.", but "Well we basically took the focus group approach and want to cater to each region's sexiness preferences for women."

iammeiam

I guess it's semi-refreshing that they're openly admitting to pandering to anyone and everyone, instead of pretending this is a deep cultural issue of artistic integrity?

JDSN

Banned
Sad thing, this is a relatively restrained female character model.

Now lets hear about how we shouldn't question this design choices and that society is obsessed with PC.

Hexa

So I'm now interested in this game again...

Wait... the skins are Russia only? Nevermind.

They didn't go "This is the vision we had.", but "Well we basically took the focus group approach and want to cater to each region's sexiness preferences for women."

I don't think it's too surprising though. It's a F2P game, so you better do whatever it takes to make people want to play or keep them playing. I think F2P games are a type where the developer has to basically bend over backwards to fulfill whatever players want.

IWKYB

Banned
Cleaveage is wrong when it looks good right ladies? By ladies I mean dudes that aren't honest about things like this and seem to rather bitch about every little thing.

This might as well have said "Feminism? No1curr".

JordanN

Banned
I'm not understanding this. So did Crytek make the models first for the Russians or did the Russians ask for the models and Crytek then made it?

If it's the first, then meh. If it's the later, that's just business no? I think if females asked for sexualized dudes and Crytek said "no" then that would be a case of sexism but I don't know if they asked.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think it's too surprising though. It's a F2P game, so you better do whatever it takes to make people want to play or keep them playing. I think F2P games are a type where the developer has to basically bend over backwards to fulfill whatever players want.

Oh I'm not doubting their given reasons are truthful, but I'm just surprised they didn't try to like... sugar coat their answer a bit or something.

Just saying that people want tits so they gave them tits would have been way more honest and it would have saved everyone quite a bit of time. Instead we have this cringe-worthy article.

IWKYB

Banned
I'm honestly not sure how to react to such honesty, it's kinda disarming.

"Hey, we're not sexist, we're just doing this because our audience wants to see some cleavage."

It's also despicable.
Nothing wrong with honesty. Lying to appear sensible is horrible though and well beyond despicable actually.

It's like I'm looking at screenshots from two different games.

I think it looks pretty cool. Hardly like the dental floss bikinis we see in many other games. What is the issue?

The men look like they're going to war, the women look like they're going to a photo shoot.

jediyoshi

Was wondering if they were going to add female characters to this. Warface has been my COD-like guilty pleasure for a while now.

I have no opinion on those designs.

So what happens if they released the sexy Russian female skins and another version that played well with female focus groups?

Would that be wrong?

Discuss

Top Bottom