• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE CONGRESS - the best movie of 2013 for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
iHCxGpp1kaYzx.gif

ibeUlaceVOhFaV.gif

It's only been an hour since I finished seeing The Congress as part of the BFI London Film Festival with my sister. It was her birthday, so I guess this could be considered a gift for her and she loved it as much as me.

As some of you might know, Waltz with Bashir is my favourite movie of all time. So of course, I was hyped to see the next movie from the same director, Ari Folman. The trailer for it looked great, I wanted to be immersed in that animated world, but I was wary of the acting in the live action and wasn't sure if it could have the emotional impact of his previous movie.

After having seen it, this is possibly the best sci-fi/fantasy movie I've seen from this generation.

Comparisons: It's like a mix of Being John Malkovich, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Matrix, and Synecdoche New York.

If Ari Folman stopped making movies now, he ended on a high note. He doesn't need to make anything else. If you liked more thoughtful and emotional sci-fi like The Fountain, Solaris, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, this is a no brainer. Mindblowing, profound, and tragic. After it finished, I had completely forgotten my other favourite movies of the year! It's packed with a lot of ideas. What a new Hollywood could bring with the digitisation of actors, what if every part of a celebrity became a commodity that you could literally drink and transform into, the humanity we lose in dream worlds, and how powerful motherhood can be. I came very close to tears at quite a few moments, pretty much the last 30 minutes were really emotionally devastating.

Robin Wright (a failed 45 year old actress), Danny Huston (head of Miramount Pictures), Paul Giamatti (my favourite character actor), Harvey Keitel (Robin's agent) were all fantastic. There's one brilliant scene in which Harvey Keitel and Robin become a mess by the end, where he is trying to convince her to go through as many emotions as possible for the scanning process to be completed with a personal anecdote on how he's always been the inner demon agent commodifying a person's weaknesses for gain. A big reason why I was so emotionally involved was because of the music (you can hear it in the trailer), which was composed by Max Richter who also scored Waltz with Bashir.

If there was a possibility to own this movie right now, I'd easily pay upwards of £50-100 because I want to see it all over again. If another well-known director had made this, Oscars and other awards would be dropping at his/her feet.

The first act is pretty much build-up to the animated zone of Abrahama. The real world has a very muted colour palette, so when you get to the animation which is the majority of the movie, it's like BOOM HOLY FUCK MY EYES THE GOGGLES THEY DO NOTHING! Waltz With Bashir had a more graphic novel rotoscope art style, here it's a "looney toons playground". I was not expecting this huge a jump from Waltz with Bashir which was on a much smaller scale, animation-wise. They go all out on the surreal imagination from the backgrounds and landscapes to the human characters. The characters specifically, it was like the "where's Waldo" of early 80s famous figures in animated form. There is one character cameo that had everyone in the audience laughing (you'll know by the teeth).

One of the strongest scenes is when Robin is in the animated hotel of Miramount Pictures, and she sees what she looks like in animated form for the first time. She's a middle-aged actress, and looks are unfortunately the most scrutinised part of the job. She imagines herself looking much older and it keeps on getting worse until she bashes her head into the mirror. It made me think, if you could be in an animated world where you imagine you appearance, body image issues (especially women's) would raise through the roof as all your fears would manifest right in front of you that would just make you break into a thousand pieces.

What sets this movie apart from other movies' depictions of virtual worlds is, the point of no return. Especially live action ones like Inception, The Matrix, or eXistenZ are still believable where I can't see many people completely losing their whole life to such a plane of existence. Here though, with the vivid animated world, I could see the brain not being able to accept all this audiovisual stimuli. Where you can hallucinate anything. So, being able to escape back to the real world would be much harder. We talk about how the future would be like with Oculus Rift and other virtual reality advancements, this movie is the ultimate cautionary tale for that.

It can be a hard movie to follow because of all that is going on, so it'll be ideal for rewatches. I can't wait to see it again with a general audience. And with that...
iN7q0bQaDAwDe.gif

peakish

Looks nice, although I don't quite understand what it's about. With any luck it might play at my local film festival soon, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I really liked it. It has that trademark awkwardness in execution you see in a lot of these sorts of psychedelic animated pieces, reach slightly exceeding their grasp sort of deal, but I came out of the cinema with a big smile on my face.

I really liked it. It has that trademark awkwardness in execution you see in a lot of these sorts of psychedelic animated pieces, reach slightly exceeding their grasp sort of deal, but I came out of the cinema with a big smile on my face.

Did you see it there or in another film festival? Man, I had this kind of high after coming out and wanted to watch it again so badly :p

Did you see it there or in another film festival? Man, I had this kind of high after coming out and wanted to watch it again so badly :p

Melbourne International Film Festival, a couple months back. I came out wanting to catch up on the director's other work... I should really get around to watching Waltz With Bashir sometime soon.

ЯAW

Banned
It's great movie, and best movie of 2013 for me as well. Ari Folman and Kaufman should team up for a animated movie. Too bad this is probably going to be Folman's last animated movie :( Quality animation is fading away.

ЯAW;85871389 said:
It's great movie, and best movie of 2013 for me as well. Ari Folman and Kaufman should team up for a animated movie. Too bad this is probably going to be Folman's last animated movie :( Quality animation is fading away.

Is it? If it is, he went out on a high note for this style.

Waltz with Bashir, Chico and Rita, Persepolis, and this live-action/animation hybrid are the reason why the animation category in the Oscars needs to be stricken away. These are movies as good or even better than the usual Oscar bait, and yet they're relegated to a field where Hollywood just throws a bone to Pixar/Dreamworks because they're the only animated studios the academy knows. Even the nominations in this category get pathetic and it's only based on brand recognition.

Congrats to Robin Wright for winning the Golden Globe on House of Cards. She is absolutely amazing and heartbreaking in The Congress, which I hope gets recognised when more people get to see it.

The Congress won for european animated feature in the European Film Awards
"This film has been made in 6 different countries by 270 animators, so I you want to talk about coproduction..."
988380_599137826806627_2076847418_n.jpg

congress.jpg

Ari Folman describes the scanning scene in detail here in a video (done in one take, 8 minutes):
http://www.spiegel.de/video/regisse...e-aus-the-congress-video-1295136.html#ref=rss

INCREDIBLE film.

Where's the love, gaf? It's a near future scifi plot with amazing animation. Hard to believe this thread isn't longer.

ЯAW

Banned

Self quote: apparently Folman will continue to work with animation movies and his next work if film about Anne Frank.

Sepp

Banned
I have to watch this one.

Waltz with Bashir was ok. The best animated movie I've seen in a long time was Persepolis.

KalBalboa

Banned
Caught this as the Boston Underground Film Festival. I loved it for its original concept and ambitious-as-sin approach. I didn't find it to be perfect in terms of execution, but it's hard not to give the movie some applause for pointing out the direction we're taking entertainment in.

This film did seem like an examination of that idea years ago that actors would get replaced by CGI. With the way how brand/corporate loyalty is in entertainment businesses with certain artists, could be a logical dystopian step.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What's the rough live action:animation ratio in this? The premise is interesting, but I'm not especially interested in seeing an animated movie; I'm hoping it's more live action with some animated scenes here and there.

Anth1888

What's the rough live action:animation ratio in this? The premise is interesting, but I'm not especially interested in seeing an animated movie; I'm hoping it's more live action with some animated scenes here and there.

It's literally a 50:50 split.

My local Cineworld played this last week and with my Unlimited Card I checked it out. Now, it was a tale off two halves for me and I went into the film completely blind. The first part of the film I loved with Wright's moral struggle about the contract and the realisation of identity, profit and free will. After that and we enter the animation world and it sky dived for me. It was like a completely different film (the first hour flew by) and there was quite a lot of walkouts during the animation sequence in the cinema, I mean it was a bit of a muddled mess losing the original vision of the film turning into an LSD trip that was confusing at times.

I really wish the unique premise of the film had continued throughout the screenplay and stayed in the present as it was intriguing and unusual - with Robin showing the emotional control of identity, family, capitalism and technology. It really was a two films meshed into one incoherent mess.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's literally a 50:50 split.

The first part of the film I loved with Wright's moral struggle about the contract and the realisation of identity, profit and free will. After that and we enter the animation world and it sky dived for me. It was like a completely different film

Ah, sounds like a pass for me. Maybe I'll just pick up a copy of the Lem book that apparently (very, very loosely) inspired this.

A film this colorful shouldn't be so drab, boring, and lifeless. Animate a hallucinogenic trip and narrate it with two of the most bland, sleep inducing voiceovers ever recorded by Robin Wright and Jon Hamm. Listen to them drone on about exposition and interesting things that may have happened somewhere else in the same monotonous register, all ability to act subtly and with nuance drained from their performance by the fact that you're staring at their exaggerated caricatures.

When 90 min into a 2 hour movie, when a character said they were about to embark on a "long journey", my wife and I randomly turned to each other and groaned.

Just recently saw this. Sorry about the bump, but I have to comment that it comes out on Blu Ray in my country in December.

I'm damn well buying it.

Anyhow, it felt to me like the type of post apocalyptic movie that Ralph Bakshi wishes he had the talent to make.

The movie does have a heavy air of depression, but it's exactly the kind of film that the Matrix was.
Except in this world, our enslavement serves no purpose other than consumerism, there are no wicked robots, just people on drugs. It's like a beautiful mix of "A Brave New World," "Vurt," and others. I loved that.. when she faded from the world she saw to the world she was in... it was people lost, vacantly staring.

Eventually, she chose
the illusion of being together over being honest. Comfort over real freedom and clarity. Except, it wasn't rats strapped to her face (like 1984), but the emotions of attachment.

I hope the Blu Ray has a commentary track.

One more thing, I thought the
exaggerated acting near the beginning was to cue in that slight sense of disbelief in the "real world" and thus make the push toward caricature more "pure."

phaonaut

Rented this today based off this thread, I really enjoyed it. Still sort of confused about some of the things that happened at the hotel and where they fall in the spectrum between the two worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom