• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Valve inventor Jeri Ellsworth Kickstarts CastAR glasses

mocoworm

Old?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/castar-the-most-versatile-ar-and-vr-system

Ex-Valve inventor Jeri Ellsworth Kickstarts CastAR glasses - Augmented and virtual reality all in one.

More than half-a-year after being let go by Valve, Jeri Ellsworth, noted inventor, and fellow former Valve colleague Rick Johnson, programmer, are ready to begin gathering the crowd-funds they need to make their CastAR augmented and virtual reality glasses a big scale reality.

CastAR needs $400,000 on Kickstarter and initially seems to be off to a confident start.

CastAR are lightweight glasses that project 3D images onto a reflective sheet to produce a holographic scene in front of your eyes. There's head-tracking so the scene moves with you, and there's a joystick wand thing that allows you to interact with what you see.

CastAR becomes VR when you clip an additional attachment over the top. "With this component, you will have no need for any other head mounted display," the blurb reads - a sure dig into Oculus Rift's ribs.

CastAR is already fully formed enough to have been demonstrated to the public at events in America this year, where it received very positive responses.

The Kickstarter money will go into refining the hardware both functionally and aesthetically to make it ready for shops.

A CastAR starter kit requires a $189 - or higher - pledge.

ido

I know people on MTBS3D have mentioned using micro projectors to create an HMD, but this is the first time I am seeing this idea actually done.

I'd be very interested in giving this a try, even though I am skeptical whether or not it can compete with the Rift. The FOV doesn't look like it can be as high, given the design of the glasses, and the resolution will probably be nowhere near the consumer Rift.

Looks neat, though.

This is the kind of thing I'd love John Carmack to give his opinion of. Guess he's only allowed to talk about Oculus products now.

eznark

Banned
5381a2cf1199ee14f03cf08f33b97ca8_large.png

nah

Zoc

Seems cool but also like it could never have very good picture quality. I really care a lot about that.

HariKari

Does she really need a label of "ex-valve", she has more achievements than just being an ex employee of valve.

Well, this particular technology belonged to Valve as it was created while she worked there. Newell let her and her partner/team keep it because they decided to go in another direction (likely Rift) and cleaned house a bit. She was salty when she left because her pet project didn't get picked and said some things she probably shouldn't have, given Newell's nice gesture.

I thought the reason Valve dropped the project was due to lag/latency.
Is this fixed; is 120 hertz enough:

Each projector independently refreshes at 120 hertz...

Here is a link to the Valve blog relative to VR/AR which might show some insight on the potential issues related to VR/AR and why they dropped the project. Ramblings in Valve Time

What use is the Precision RFID base, wouldn't you want all of this done in AR/software to look cooler/isn't that the point of adding AR?
Precision Bases have a custom circuit board that allows for both RFID tracking as well as two-way communication. The two-way communication can be used for such things as increasing the precision of the position tracking or to control small motors and other miniature electronics. For example, you could have a dragon miniature with a Precision Base that has a tiny smoke generator and some red LEDs attached to it. The software could then tell the base to turn on the smoke generator and the red LEDs, providing an illusion that the dragon is breathing fire.

I don't have a rift but am hoping/waiting for the 1080p consumer version to grab one. This (castAR) doesn't look like it would (initially) compete with the FOV of the rift but excels (if it works as advertised) in latency, headtracking/6-DOF (the Rift is going to add depth/motion tracking correct?), the addition of AR, and cheaper currently.

Has anyone tried one out, have any thoughts?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is the kind of thing I'd love John Carmack to give his opinion of. Guess he's only allowed to talk about Oculus products now.

I don't see why he couldn't. Thing is, watching Jeri's explanation of the technology, it's really nothing like Oculus, and vice versa. Both pieces of technology are going to cater to entirely different types of virtual reality experiences, worlds apart. As Jeri put it, this technology is aimed at a more casual virtual reality, people sitting or standing around a table and interacting together. Oculus Rift leans heavily towards AAA / first person virtual reality, the kind of games Valve makes, where you're totally enveloped the game's visuals, transported to that reality alone.

I hope this kicks off. It would be a lot more suited to stuff like board games and other social experiments than Oculus.

tokkun

So how does it work that multiple people wearing CastAR can project on to the same screen without their images interfering? Do all the shutters have to be synchronized, and if so does that decrease the brightness?

Related, if you look at someone while wearing CastAR, will your projected light shine into their eyes?

daveo42

Banned
I hope this kicks off. It would be a lot more suited to stuff like board games and other social experiments than Oculus.

Yeah, the 'D&D' game they had in the video is something I know my friends and I would be really excited about trying out. The use for any table top game would be great.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why was she let go?

Valve saw that VR was gaining a lot of traction, chiefly thanks to Oculus Rift, while AR was struggling to be proven as anything more than a neat gimmick and so it put a pin in what Jeri's team was working on. Perhaps to apologise for pursuing and then rather quickly dropping her, Valve allowed Jeri's team to take their work with them, which is presumably what CastAR is.

In Michael Abrash's blog, he goes into great detail about why AR is really difficult, with latency and overlays causing all kinds of optical problems. I'm sure CastAR is trying to address them, but I suspect it is an even less of a complete solution than the Rift is to VR.

Nice to see both AR and VR products gaining support.

JackDT

So how does it work that multiple people wearing CastAR can project on to the same screen without their images interfering? Do all the shutters have to be synchronized, and if so does that decrease the brightness?

Related, if you look at someone while wearing CastAR, will your projected light shine into their eyes?

The material shines light back in the direction it came from so everyone sees their own images. Crazy stuff!

The best information is in her personal youtube pitch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc2NQVQK69A

She also gives her side of the story for why Valve dropped it: At Valve you have to recruit other employees to your project. She had trouble convincing others it was a viable product -- they couldn't get ignore the massive size and weight of the early prototypes (the 'headcrabs') no matter how much she promised they could get the size way down eventually. Software culture not used to how ugly hardware prototypes could be, esentially.

That said, even if that wasn't a problem, Valve probably would not have funded this. This looks like it could make some really cool tabletop and boardgame experiences. That's a decent size market with people willing to spend deep for miniatures and such, but... it's much smaller than what Valve does. You will never sell 5 million virtual roleplaying tables. You might sell 5 million Portal 3 or Steam Controllers.

I have tried this btw. The images you see are not ghostly images -- there is some dimming but overall they are comparable to a 3D movie screen with active shutter glasses.

You could probably port any Rift supported game and get it playing - but it won't be as good as a Rift for pure VR. It's like using a monitor while earing 3D shutter glasses, and also TrackIR system. The tracking works from more angles than a TrackIR though. The types of games and experiences thing will excel at haven't been created yet and are the things that would simply not be playable on a Rift.

LordCanti

Without the FOV, this isn't an OR competitor. It's the same story with those guys doing the DLP-esque micro mirror display thing. I want VR to take off, but I don't want it to take off in the direction that some seem to be taking it.

Musolf815

I remember reading an interview where someone saw a tech demo at Valve of aliens walking around the room with AR glasses, I'm guessing that was part of what CastAR tech is?

I'm very interested, next gen seems really interesting with all these new styles of play from companies like this.

Nearly hit its funding goal in less than tree days, very nice. I've seen quite a few videos in the past where Jeri talks about CastAR, it looks quite cool going by the videos.

I'm not surprised that this is getting funding so quickly though, pen and paper/ table top board games are actually quite big on Kickstarter. There are a lot of them that get funding and some reach up into the one to two million dollar mark. A device like this that can bring augmented reality to board games is going to get a lot of attention from those crowds. There's also some applicable use in video games too, so it is going to draw in that crowd as well. Though also having a former Valve engineer as a lead designer will turn some heads too.

Now, I wonder how long it will take for someone to make this a reality?:
Dejarik_Falcon.png

Azih

Ah it's been up for a few days? I thought it came on only today. In any case.... FUNDED!

No interest in being a guniea pig for any of this personally. I'll wait for a fully polished product in a few years and/or a killer app.

Top Bottom