• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEVICE 6 - A surrealistic, multimodal text adventure for iOS

dream

DEVICE_6_06_retina-600x800.png

Simogo, the developers of the superb Year Walk, just released their new title Device 6. Because it literally just went live, I can't actually post reviews or, well, anything meaningful beyond Simogo's description of the game:

A surreal thriller in which the written word is your map, as well as your narrator.

DEVICE 6 plays with the conventions of games and literature, entwines story with geography and blends puzzle and novella, to draw players into an intriguing mystery of technology and neuroscience.

Anna wakes up in a castle on a remote island, with little recollection of how she got there. All she remembers is an unusually unpleasant doll...

Why are there two identical castles on the island? Who is the mysterious man in the bowler hat? And above all, what is the purpose of the tests Anna is put through?

Read, listen and peek into three-dimensional photographs to solve the bizarre mysteries of DEVICE 6.

and a cryptic interview with the lead designer of the game, where he explains

The interplay between the game and the text was part of Simogo’s inspiration for Device 6. “A lot of games today want to present worlds in a very visual way, but with DEVICE 6 we want present a world in way that tickles the imagination in a way that books, or imagining how places look when you look on a map, do.”

I've only played a bit of it, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Formally, it reminds me a lot of House of Leaves, with ostentatious textual playfulness that actually impacts the way the narrative is told. You scroll through the text, as if it were a visual novel, while the pagination changes or provides cutouts that add visual representations of what the narrator sees as she tells her tale.

device_6_screen01_thumb.gif

Which doesn't seem like a big deal, but the way it's executed is almost like a subversion of the dominant mode of the game, allowing you to glimpse things that should be--and are--just outside of your field of vision. There are also puzzles and questionnaires, though I'm not sure how they impact the narrative (if at all)

screen568x568.jpeg

DEVICE 6 is up now on the App Store for $3.99. I realize it's a bit of a hard sell, but I'll update this OT with reviews and the like once they start hitting.

edit: reviews are in!

Eurogamer (9/10).

The dependable structure - the back and forth between travel and challenge as you burrow your way deeper into the narrative - provides some necessary orientation in such a strange and disarming game. It also allows Simogo to place its biggest mysteries outside of the moment-to-moment puzzling itself. Shifting from smirking puns at the creakiness of modern progression systems to a finale that's actually quietly devastating, Device 6 is designed to linger in the mind long after the last code has been cracked and the last sentence read. Spy stories - even traditional ones - often haunt their readers' dreams once they've been completed. It's only appropriate, really. Is that a final full-stop or a microdot? Is this the end of the affair or an invitation to go deeper?

PocketGamer (Gold).

While the navigation is daring and unique, the puzzles are far more traditional. They're the usual logic conundrums and riddles we've seen in games like The Room and Simogo's own Year Walk.

So you might come across a computer that can take a four-digit number, and you've got to scour the environment for possible passwords.

The clues for each puzzle might be hidden in the text, shown in the black and white images that flank the sentences, or even read out over gramophones and tape recorders.

But while they might be traditional, they are exceptionally well-made puzzles that require clever, multi-step solutions, a notepad, and some other hardware that we won't spoil.

They are some of the smartest puzzles since Cing's DS games - better than anything in Year Walk - and they'll make you feel like a genius when you finally figure out the answers.

Modojo (4.5/5).

The Good
Device 6 looks like nothing else - a maze of text where a single sentence will take you around corners, send you trailing back on yourself, and give handfuls of strange, interactive glimpses of the game's peculiar universe. The whole thing's a joy to look at, and well-designed puzzles make it a joy to play too, as you crack codes, hunt for secrets, and slowly reconstruct your own past.
The Bad
When the adventure's this exciting, you can't help but wish for more. Device 6 will keep you busy for an afternoon, but it will almost certainly leave you wanting more at the end of it all.
The Verdict
Simogo's come up with another unmissable game - an ingenious slice of puzzling adventure that's as imaginative as it is stylish. Whether you played Year Walk or not, you can't let this one pass you by.

AppSpy (5/5)

DEVICE 6 not only explores the boundaries of narrative storytelling, it also demonstrates the creative potential of touchscreen gaming. Though its subject matter may be bleak, the game's ambition and intelligence make it a joyous and truly singular experience.

Edge (9/10)

Simogo’s greatest triumph, perhaps, is to intensify the potency of the written word. In using its text both as narrative and as geography – and through its impressively restrained use of illustration and sound – it generates an almost unrivalled sense of place. It isn’t embarrassed to allow Device 6 to be a game when it needs to be, and yet it knows precisely when to let the story take over. The result is a sharp, striking mystery that is at once provocative, extraordinarily stylish and altogether essential.

And a special thanks to Tunesmith for the use of his graphics!

crashen

Thanks for posting this. Year Walk is fantastic, and definitely my favorite iPad game. I had no idea this was out... downloading it now.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Loved Year Walk (and Beat Sneak Bandit before it), so Simogo gets an insta-buy. Unfortunately I can't sink into this immediately but it's already installed. Skipping summaries and videos this time, I want to go in blind.

dream

When I call this a "multimodal adventure," it really is that. There are pieces of the narrative that you have to stitch together by synthesizing a combination of text, visual, and aural clues and cues. It's really a very unique game, and I hope it gets more attention despite the genre it belongs to.

Heel

Just finished the first chapter. I think I'm going to like this game.

"Thank you, Player249. You have earned 100 points."

I wonder if your name is assigned in the order of people who purchased the game, completely random, or has something to do with a puzzle later...haha.

Adam J.

I got 'stuck' on this at the very beginning. Lol.

Got a feeling I'm going to have to look up how to get past parts :p

Mr. F

Banned
Dipped into chapter 1, things are already weird in a way I'm really digging. Sound design is top notch. My only (personal) issue is that I sometimes have a hard time concentrating on reading with background noise/music, but I'll manage.

PittaGAF

Buy worthy if not for the intro alone.
Great OT, thanks!

I'll come back after I've completed the game tough...I do not want to read absolutely anything about the game before experiencing it.

But I already know I'm in love.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm scared to read anything about this game out of fear of spoiling what it is or how it plays. Still I have to post here to try and encourage anyone to not overlook this. After Year Walk I trust these guys blindly.

Bought it last night and am looking forward to playing through it. Year Walk is one of my top games of 2013 and I bet this will be just as good, if not better.

mclem

Calender?

I'm a big fan of text adventures, and most designers would hate themselves for a typo like that. Well, assuming they don't actually mean a calender, but I'm not quite sure how that would proclaim the date.

That kvetching aside, I'm rather intrigued. I don't have an iOS device, but should this appear on Android, I suspect I'll be there.

Calender?

I'm a big fan of text adventures, and most designers would hate themselves for a typo like that. Well, assuming they don't actually mean a calender, but I'm not quite sure how that would proclaim the date.

That kvetching aside, I'm rather intrigued. I don't have an iOS device, but should this appear on Android, I suspect I'll be there.

Nice catch. That's an old screenshot, and it's been corrected in the game :)

dock

Is this game suited to iPhone play, rather than iPad?
Lots of these types of game are really only suited to iPad.

I haven't bought a Simogo game since finding Cosmo Spin to be pretty terrible. It's tricky to gauge how good a studio's games are when people are so smitten by the lovely artwork. I love that they're going for this mature approach to design and making the best of their skills.

Zia

I haven't bought a Simogo game since finding Cosmo Spin to be pretty terrible. It's tricky to gauge how good a studio's games are when people are so smitten by the lovely artwork. I love that they're going for this mature approach to design and making the best of their skills.

I did not like Kosmo Spin, and I felt that while Bumpy Road was a better game, it received a bit of a pass because it was so damn charming. Then, Beat Sneak Bandit came out of nowhere for me, incredible stuff (I've made several comparisons to DC-era Sega's best work), and Year Walk is the best adventure game I've played since Grim Fandango. Their games, while absolutely aesthetically stunning, and progressive, also always seem to be as meaty as the concept will allow, they are unbelievably polished for a two-man outfit (they are Nintendo freaks) and the games always respect the player's intelligence without being intentionally obtuse.

I think they're the preeminent indie right now, and would not be at all surprised if they ended up in the top 10-15 of Edge's next developer ranking. They're on a special kind of roll.

PittaGAF

WOW.

Just WOW.

I'm really blown away (and already stuck :p).

The number of clever and original ideas so well put togheter with this grade of polish is mind blowing.

Those 'words maps' we read about in the interviews make so sense playing the game now.
Also....KILLER sound production.

I can't belive they are just 2 people.
Simogo, you are geniuses.
This is Art (While being a game too).

I smiled at the OP's "I know this is a hard sell...."

All I needed to hear was that this was from The Year Walk, folks, and I ran to iTunes. Year Walk was one of the very best games I played all year.

PittaGAF

I think the game is particularly well suited to iPhone (but I won't say more).
I have both iPhone and iPad.
While I preferred Year Walk on iPad...I'm actually playing Device 6 on iPhone.

mclem

Nice catch. That's an old screenshot, and it's been corrected in the game :)

I did get distracted by a reverie of imagining a situation where that *is* in fact a calender, and realising that it's not simply a typo is a crucial puzzle in the game. Heck, I think there's an IFComp entry buried in that concept.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I did get distracted by a reverie of imagining a situation where that *is* in fact a calender, and realising that it's not simply a typo is a crucial puzzle in the game. Heck, I think there's an IFComp entry buried in that concept.

i21hl9u.png

dock

I did not like Kosmo Spin, and I felt that while Bumpy Road was a better game, it received a bit of a pass because it was so damn charming. Then, Beat Sneak Bandit came out of nowhere for me, incredible stuff (I've made several comparisons to DC-era Sega's best work), and Year Walk is the best adventure game I've played since Grim Fandango. Their games, while absolutely aesthetically stunning, and progressive, also always seem to be as meaty as the concept will allow, they are unbelievably polished for a two-man outfit (they are Nintendo freaks) and the games always respect the player's intelligence without being intentionally obtuse.

I think they're the preeminent indie right now, and would not be at all surprised if they ended up in the top 10-15 of Edge's next developer ranking. They're on a special kind of roll.
Interesting. I remember a bunch of people losing their shit over Kosmo Spin, and since then I've expected similar from later games. Charming, delightful, but shallow and unexciting.

Perhaps I should dig out my Ipad 1 and play Year Walk, as it sounds as though that's still the Simogo game of choice, and might warm me to picking up Device 6.

dream

Here's Eurogamer's review (9/10).

The dependable structure - the back and forth between travel and challenge as you burrow your way deeper into the narrative - provides some necessary orientation in such a strange and disarming game. It also allows Simogo to place its biggest mysteries outside of the moment-to-moment puzzling itself. Shifting from smirking puns at the creakiness of modern progression systems to a finale that's actually quietly devastating, Device 6 is designed to linger in the mind long after the last code has been cracked and the last sentence read. Spy stories - even traditional ones - often haunt their readers' dreams once they've been completed. It's only appropriate, really. Is that a final full-stop or a microdot? Is this the end of the affair or an invitation to go deeper?

And PocketGamer (Gold).

While the navigation is daring and unique, the puzzles are far more traditional. They're the usual logic conundrums and riddles we've seen in games like The Room and Simogo's own Year Walk.

So you might come across a computer that can take a four-digit number, and you've got to scour the environment for possible passwords.

The clues for each puzzle might be hidden in the text, shown in the black and white images that flank the sentences, or even read out over gramophones and tape recorders.

But while they might be traditional, they are exceptionally well-made puzzles that require clever, multi-step solutions, a notepad, and some other hardware that we won't spoil.

They are some of the smartest puzzles since Cing's DS games - better than anything in Year Walk - and they'll make you feel like a genius when you finally figure out the answers.

Modojo (4.5/5).

The Good
Device 6 looks like nothing else - a maze of text where a single sentence will take you around corners, send you trailing back on yourself, and give handfuls of strange, interactive glimpses of the game's peculiar universe. The whole thing's a joy to look at, and well-designed puzzles make it a joy to play too, as you crack codes, hunt for secrets, and slowly reconstruct your own past.
The Bad
When the adventure's this exciting, you can't help but wish for more. Device 6 will keep you busy for an afternoon, but it will almost certainly leave you wanting more at the end of it all.
The Verdict
Simogo's come up with another unmissable game - an ingenious slice of puzzling adventure that's as imaginative as it is stylish. Whether you played Year Walk or not, you can't let this one pass you by.

AppSpy (5/5)

DEVICE 6 not only explores the boundaries of narrative storytelling, it also demonstrates the creative potential of touchscreen gaming. Though its subject matter may be bleak, the game's ambition and intelligence make it a joyous and truly singular experience.

markao

Not an iOS gamer, but I saw the game review on Edge (online) this morning and they seam to like it a lot.

Device 6 review - Edge (9)

Simogo’s greatest triumph, perhaps, is to intensify the potency of the written word. In using its text both as narrative and as geography – and through its impressively restrained use of illustration and sound – it generates an almost unrivalled sense of place. It isn’t embarrassed to allow Device 6 to be a game when it needs to be, and yet it knows precisely when to let the story take over. The result is a sharp, striking mystery that is at once provocative, extraordinarily stylish and altogether essential.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'll try to pace myself a bit between chapters. Just beat chapter 1, very satisfying. Fantastic presentation and atmosphere, the
moment you see the mannequins in the dining hall coupled with the music was so eerie
. The way it asks you to pay attention to different sources to memorize and combine clues is very unique, like dream said:

When I call this a "multimodal adventure," it really is that. There are pieces of the narrative that you have to stitch together by synthesizing a combination of text, visual, and aural clues and cues. It's really a very unique game, and I hope it gets more attention despite the genre it belongs to.

Draft

Year Walk was short and beautiful and exactly what I want from an iPad game. If Device 6 is half as good it's a must play.

I couldn't get past the first puzzles in Year Walk so solving the first puzzle here this morning made me feel goddamned invincible.

Phenomenal game.

giapel

Finished chapter 1. Outstanding so far. I wish people that go "iOS gaming, lol" would give games like this a chance.

Mr. F

Banned
Finished chapter 1 this morning, felt smart! The second puzzle took me a few tries, had me going back and forth quite a bit haha. Note to self; play with a notepad nearby.

Looking forward to Chapter 2!

Wat is this I don't even.

Text adventure meets puzzler meets Alfred Hitchcock.

The "text as geography" threw me for a loop initially, but the overall effect is brilliantly executed, imo.

Just finished Chapter 2. Wonderful stuff.
The various dialogue from the bears gave me chills.

The game mechanics I feel are opaque enough that it's been a great recommendation to my non-gamer friends that shirk away from "gamey games" but yet love to read, enjoy a good mystery and sorting out puzzles.

Year Walk and now this? I AM IMPRESS.

I can't wait til y'all get to the later chapters!!!!

I definitely prefer playing it on my 5C than on an ipad, but I think its still great on both.

IMO this is one of the most special, most interesting games on iOS. Oh and its so f'n stylish and the music is utterly perfect.

putermcgee

Just finished the first chapter. I think I'm going to like this game.

"Thank you, Player249. You have earned 100 points."

I wonder if your name is assigned in the order of people who purchased the game, completely random, or has something to do with a puzzle later...haha.
It's not.

I'm stuck at the very beginning.
2001+1946+56?
1946 is not the number found between "hope" and "lies"

Finished it today, then played through again to see some things I might have skipped over on accident. I had some trouble on Chapter 3, but no enough to give up. I feel like the puzzles in this game are similar to Year Walk in that they're not *too* tough, yet you still feel smart when you solve them.

After that, I remembered I never got Beat Sneak Bandit, and immediately rectified that mistake.

Also, pretty sure this game will finish 2013 as one of, if not the best reviewed iOS game of the year. Which makes me feel good about earth.

Top Bottom