• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCALE - Grow and shrink anything, explore worlds, solve puzzles

E9mx58J.jpg

Developed by CubeHeart
---
Kickstarter
Official Site
---
Scale gives players a tool for uncovering the secrets and hidden beauty of everyday objects. Experience the impossible joy of growing and shrinking with a simple handheld device. Everything can be scaled: world, objects, creatures, and inhabitants. Discover secrets within secrets within secrets.

So that means you can do things like this:

409ec1602e96d5d51d72753b3ba40740_large.gif

bcb3ce3b21f566f53136848826de7f3c_large.gif

----

Screenshots from 2015/2016, including the redesigned scale gun and art style

----
You play as young physics savant Penny Prince, inventor of a device which can suck the size out of one thing and shoot it into another. SCALE begins as Penny awakes in prison, convicted of 9,322,591 counts of Depraved Heart Murder for accidentally destroying the east coast. Someone has confiscated her cat. Against the express advice of the rehabilitative therapy coordinator now living inside her brain, she hastily reconstructs her device using materials from a nearby cellphone recycling bin and embarks upon escape in an attempt to regain her freedom and her cat.

1a81f493bf577f37c0b969d1eb6fa23d_large.jpg

You wield a device that can make any item any size. A tree, a wall, an enemy, a passing cloud, even the levels themselves are all "SCALEable". Space is relative in the game so progress is as much conceptual as it is physical. The unique mechanic of SCALEing is inspired by games like Portal and The Swapper. Progression through the game is freeform and open like Mario 64 or early Zelda overworlds. It’s all about exploring and discovering secrets!

Some stretch goals:
100K - Oculus Rift support
Due to how we’re making the game, it should be pretty easy for us to add support for the Oculus Rift, which is why Oculus support is our first and lowest Stretch Goal.

125K - Unlock Dale’s SCALE custom companion comic
Dale’s writing the game by using up the last jot of love and passion in an otherwise cold and robotic heart. But with some extra money we could activate his for-profit subroutine and tap into a rich dark vein of wild SCALE-themed comics undreamt of in this modern age. Dale experts tell us it’s dark magic would create a special companion comic for the game that would go with you wherever you went.

150K - Hire Additional 3D Artist
An additional 3D artist means we’ll not only be able to have more art in the game, but we’ll be able to have better art, as there will be more time refine for the artists to refine their work.

175K - Level Editor
With a level editor, you’ll be able to build the worlds you’ve always dreamed of, and then make them really, really big or really, really tiny and watch your friends play them. However, you’ll need to supply your own Zoolander style “what is this, a _____ for ANTS?!?!” jokes.
---
And yes, you can climb into a grown frog and out its asshole:
11fdebba482d9ef91dbf8fef4e04a121_large.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cool concept. Trying to remember anything similar, almost surprised if no one's done it before (?)

Rift support could be pretty trippy with the scaling.

syko de4d

ha was a great idea. This could be the new Portal Gun, from a creative standpoint.

I hope it will reach the Rift support lvl, could be funny in VR :)

Nice! That level shrinking is just so cool. So much potential here for cool puzzles.

And I love the scene in the video when the player grows the chest and climbs inside. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in a game before

mclem

Looks interesting, but I'm going to need some proof-of-concept puzzle designs before I'll have faith in the potential of this; I fear there's a good risk of most puzzles boiling down to "make object X the right size to bridge a gap", and that would get tired quickly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Any word on a Steam version? 10 dollars is not asking a lot but he's only at 31k~ of his total goal. Looks really compelling and fun.

To be fair to this KS, it just started.

Any word on a Steam version? 10 dollars is not asking a lot but he's only at 31k~ of his total goal. Looks really compelling and fun.

To be fair to this KS, it just started.
According to the KS page, you get a DRM-free version and Steam key for the $10 tier

This is the main deal! If you pledge right now, you’ll get a DRM free copy of SCALE and a Steam key

Second update video, showing off the desert level mechanic

Also this:
We’re exceptionally pleased to announce that we’ve added bonus games in the form of GAME PACKS at two (2) new reward tiers! Now you can select a $15 dollar tier (“SCALE + Inputting Edition”) which includes SCALE and a copy of Steve’s game, Inputting, which was previously only available in the LA GAME SPACE Game Pack. At the new $20 tier (“SCALE + Friends of Scale Pack”), you’ll get SCALE, Inputting, and STEAM KEYS for four additional, incredible, award-winning games by friends and members of CubeHeart: Noitu Love 2, Electronic Super Joy, Incredipede, and Osmos.

So according to the dev on KS, each world will have its own twist on the scaling mechanic. So for example, in the desert level, your gun has become so powerful that it can scale the entire world at once, but not individual objects.

Saw this in an extremely early state at some indie game convention a few years ago. It was really awesome. I'm totally gonna back this.

wildfire

Banned
I'm tempted to back this project. I've been avoiding backing projects after this summer to reduce my exposure to risk of failures. But this project is just way too cool and has so much potential. I will need to know more about the developer.

daveo42

Banned
Seems like a pretty neat idea and hope that they do a lot of awesome things with. Currently considering kickstarting it.

PR3nI9t.png

I completely agree game. Not wanting to go through that frog ass either.

wildfire

Banned
Alright I'm impressed. Developers have completed projects in the past. World enlarging portion demo is just stage 2. DRM free copy. Designers who I have confidence in making a fun game. Backed it.

Some cool things from the AMA:
well, mass scales with size of course. We'd also like to experiment with the non-linear nature of physical laws, like how surface area is proportional to size-squared while mass is proportional to mass-cubed. So aerodynamics change w size, eg. big butterflies can't fly. At small sizes, surface tension dominates, eg. big things sink while small things float on water. etc.
Might be a joke but...
If you're inside an object - a House or a moose, for example - and you shrink it down...you'll be crushed and explode in a hilarious shower of gibs.
In response to "What are you going to do differently than all the other gaming Kickstarter campaigns that failed or are failing?"
For starters, we don't just have a concept, we have a working prototype and have proven out our core mechanic-- a good chunk of the game was playable at PAX, which is what has Adam Sessler so pumped in this interview. He know's scaling is a hard problem in games, and he's seen tons of games, so trust his excitement when he thinks we've cracked it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLF4kNr_Bk0
Second, we've run the numbers and are asking for the money that will give us the time we think we need to make the game good. We're not going to pull a Dark Matter, and even if we were, we wouldn't save it as a nasty surprise for people who bought the game. We want to keep our backers informed and bring them along for the ride with us.

From the new update:
We’re officially working with Valve and SCALE will be released on STEAM! Your pledge will entitle you to both a STEAM key or DRM-free version of the game on Windows, Mac, or Linux, and because we’re supporting Linux, we’re aiming to support the SteamOS/Steam Machines as well. SCALE will support gamepads/controllers natively, too!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Stretch goal for a PS4 version announced:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1188957169/scale/posts

It seems like the moon scaling video we did yesterday is catching on. HOT DIGGITY. The big news for today is that we can officially announce that we are partnering with Sony to potentially bring SCALE to PS4!

I say potentially only because porting games is expensive! It takes a lot of our time to make the game work well and feel good on additional platforms. The unfortunate reality is that development time equals money. If we can reach our stretch goal of 200k, we can make SCALE on PS4 a reality. I figured we should announce that now while there’s still plenty of time left to hit that goal.

9 days left.

Top Bottom