• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Wii U US sales up 200% in September, 3DS best selling platform

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
VG247 said:
Pre-empting the release of general sales figures by the NPD Group, Nintendo issued a press release announcing that Wii U hardware sales increased more than 200% month-on-month in September.

The significant sales surge is almost certainly the result of a price cut, which saw North American retailers drop the price of the Deluxe bundle by $50 to match the Basic, but may have been helped along by the Wind Waker bundle.

The 3DS also had a good month, managing to be the territory’s best-selling console for the fifth consecutive month; the launch of Pokémon X & Y and the 2DS in October is likely to see that trend continue this month.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/17/wii-u-sales-up-200-in-september-3ds-best-selling-us-console-npd/

That would put the Wii U at (going by popular rumors):

~31K * 3 = 93K

Into

Not great, but its a good sign, and much needed positive news. You have to take what you can get with Wii U.

Hopefully that momentum will carry over, though there don't seem to be many big releases in October for Wii U from what I've seen. Wii Party U and Mario 3D World are both next month, right?

Elija2

Obligatory "200% of zero is still zero" comment.

I'm still not optimistic about the Wii U situation this holiday, but at least the 3DS is doing great.

Draconian

Hopefully that momentum will carry over, though there don't seem to be many big releases in October for Wii U from what I've seen. Wii Party U and Mario 3D World are both next month, right?

Wii Party U is at the end of this month. Sonic also comes out this month.

So it went from catastrophic to terrible. I guess it's a start. Now double that and maintain it after 3D World and this thing might reach GC LTD.

Maybe 90k now?

MormaPope

Banned
3DS steals a lot of WiiU's audience I feel. Nintendo is kind of competeing with itself.

I would disagree completely. Portable hardware from Nintendo has almost always outsold their home console hardware. There is an audience for Nintendo handhelds, Nintendo consoles, and there's a huge overlap of people that buy both.

The 3DS/2DS is making Nintendo easy and fast cash.

Yawnier

Banned
200% increase is 3x, so about 90K.

But yeah it's still pretty low.

There was Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, and a price cut last month and I may be missing a game or two or something but that was about it. That increase in HW sales doesn't seem that great to me heading into the holiday season here but its obviously an improvement over July and August.

Mr. West

Banned
It still surprises me that the 3DS does so well in North America. You'd think looking around that all the kids have switched over to iOS gaming.

syko de4d

I must say after a year of disinterest for the WiiU and the NextGen hype sth. has changed for me. Now i have disinterest in NextGen, will stay with PC and WiiU sounds really interesting.

I hope the numbers stay up :)

Into

There was Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, and a price cut last month and I may be missing a game or two or something but that was about it. That increase in HW sales doesn't seem that great to me heading into the holiday season here but its obviously an improvement over July and August.

And the month is counting 5 weeks i believe, and not 4. Which further explains the higher number

So yeah, but again we have to take ANY positive news we can get with the Wii U, cannot be picky now

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Well, its positive momentum considering the game was just a remake.
3DS is continuing to do amazing though.

Amir0x

Banned
You go Wii U!

I hope it can get through the holiday and settle on at least an OK 160,000+ a month. I want a healthy Nintendo platform because I think Wii U is a little more my flavor than Wii was and feel they should be rewarded for it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
90k from where they started would be pretty decent for a 50 dollar price cut and a HD remake. Nothing great of course.

Daingurse

Decent numbers, much higher than I'd have guessed. Will be interesting to see whether the Wii-U will carry any of that momentum into October. What major titles are coming out? Sonic Lost World is all I can think of.

Augh, if only they'd had like...Mario in October and DK in November or something, could've really picked up more momentum. I guess Sonic is something...

Good news, but needs to keep this trend going.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And the month is counting 5 weeks i believe, and not 4. Which further explains the higher number

So yeah, but again we have to take ANY positive news we can get with the Wii U, cannot be picky now

September 5 weeks, am I missing something is this something to do with how NPD tracks?

areal

Some context:

61jf.png

syko de4d

Decent numbers, much higher then I'd have guessed. Will be interesting to see whether the Wii-U will carry any of that momentum into October. What major titles are coming out? Sonic Lost World is all I can think of.

New Mario 3D game? I heard people like that game ^^

UNCMark

Banned
No numbers given, must have not been very good.

200 percent is a number. And since they know we know last month's number, they basically told us is around 90k, which still isn't anything to write home about. I imagine PS3 and 360 beat it, which has to be embarrassing to Nintendo. Being the only current next gen console for a year now and never once selling more than the competition.

Top Bottom