• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl throws a 21st birthday party with an African theme to it. The KKK showed(G/A/F)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia wins!

http://jezebel.com/racist-21st-birthday-party-gleefully-documented-faceboo-1449394880

A young white Australian woman turned 21 and decided to have an "African" themed birthday party. After the festivities, she posted photos to Facebook. Ignorance, insensitivity and racism ahoy!

As Heben Nigatu writes on Buzzfeed, Tumblr user Black in Asia posted the shots, incredulous: The girl posted the pictures proudly and flatly refused to take them down when confronted by another individual about how they were racist apparently. Pictures were reported to facebook weeks ago and they still have not been taken down The elephant is okay. Gorilla? Fine. If you must. Everything else is revolting and offensive. (WTF with the KKK getup? WHY.)

I say, minorities should throw a European party, and have smelly people dressed in animal skins throw poops at one another. cuz that's how Europe used to be

stilgar

tumblr_muukm7FuON1rmhoofo2_500.jpg

Go home saturn, you're drunk.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
For some reason this reminded me of our own Japanese wedding thread with the infamous "golden niggas."

I can confirm that every Australian was at that party. I'd like to tell you guys that not all of us supported the obviously ignorant and stupid attempts at racist humor on display there, but let's face it, we're Australian.

Poyunch

I can confirm that every Australian was at that party. I'd like to tell you guys that not all of us supported the obviously ignorant and stupid attempts at racist humor on display there, but let's face it, we're Australian.

It's like you guys think topsy-turvy.

HiiiLife

Lmao that's crazy. I remember someone dressed as a Klansmen member for Halloween & went Trick or Treating in my neighborhood when I was 13-14. I didn't know how to react.

Rezbit

I never underestimate the amount of ignorant morons in this country. That "party" seems like quite the gathering of them.

How Aus-gaf how racist are Australians? They give off the impression of being on par with the US.

The general populace is fine, but we have a buttload of the above. Not that it's a competition, but racist occurrences that happen here usually make the news, such as this, racists on buses, etc.

lexi

Banned
I don't think there's anything wrong with having an African themed party, I place the blame squarely on the deadshits who came in blackface.

The Klansman was probably trying to be funny.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having an African themed party, I place the blame squarely on the deadshits who came in blackface.

how do you have a theme party for a continent that's bigger than most countries...combined?

Coreda

So an unknown, random girl throws a 21st, people come dressed/painted as 'Africans', animals, etc, and people are complaining, what, that she didn't kick them out at the door?

To reiterate, I was cleopatra and did not encourage my guest to wear anything racist simply to come as something African Inspired.

The KKK costume is awful, and the minstrel-like body paint poor taste, but no one would know about this but for Facebook. Hardly seems something worth blowing up about.

You can have an african themed party, you can dress like africans even stereotypcially but what the hell is with the blackface and the kkk getup?

WTF?

What. Why not? You are seriously offended by continental-themed parties??

because said continents have had their people perpectuated as backward and still tribal living by the media for the past hundreds of years?

Or said continent have had their people enslaved to help build up white cities?

Really?

THRILLH0

Banned
how do you have a theme party for a continent that's bigger than most countries...combined?

Australia is enormous. If someone hosted an Australian themed party and people came dressed as lifeguards I wouldn't bitch about the fact that not everyone lives by the beach.

Non-issue apart from the kkk moron.

sohois

Yeah I'm not sure why the article is criticizing the host so much, seems like she had no idea a bunch of fools would turn up in blackface and as KKK members.

Enzom21

Not defending the costumes, but expecting someone to take the pictures down is silly as hell.

No, they should be left up! Name and shame all of them!

Even without the blackface, an African themed party that is meant to ridicule and demean is not okay. I think they crossed the line between celebrating and ridiculing.

jediyoshi

because said continents have had their people perpectuated as backward and still tribal living by the media for the past hundreds of years?

Really?

So actual racist imagery aside, all of African imagery is off limits because bad things occurred there? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume elephant dude just made the 1:1 connection that there were elephants located there.

stilgar

Really?

So you really ARE offended because they did not show the diversity of tha african continent at 21 year old girl's birthday party.

So actual racist imagery aside, all of African imagery is off limits because bad things occurred there? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume elephant dude just made the 1:1 connection that there were elephants located there.

oh i have no issue with the elephant costumes. some of the other ones though...

Dead Man

Really?

The Africa theme is the wrong thing to be angry about, it is the costumes that suck.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
You can have an african themed party, you can dress like africans even stereotypcially but what the hell is with the blackface and the kkk getup?

WTF?

the blackface isn't even a problem in my opinion. it's an african themed party, you dress as an african and try to look like them, including the colour of their skin. i don't think there's anything inherently racist in painting your face a darker colour.

the kkk costume is out of place though

If someone hosted an Australian themed party and people came dressed as lifeguards I wouldn't bitch about the fact that not everyone lives by the beach.

Non-issue apart from the kkk moron.
pretty much

Irminsul

Wait, it is racism to paint your skin black?
Seems to be a thing in the UK and the US, apparently.

You can see that it's quite different e.g. in continental Europe because recently, all players of an Italian football team painted their faces black to protest against racist chants against one of their players.

It's one thing to dig the imagery of tribal Africa. I'll admit to liking the look and feel of it. I guess it's unfortunate that it's still the go-to association with the word "Africa". It'd be like throwing a Swedish party and every comes dressed as a viking. It's ignorant and insensitive, but I suppose I get it to a certain extent. Contemporary culture is getting too homogenised on a global scale that traditional imagery simply is more interesting and recognisable for a dress-up event. Maybe they could have worded the theme a bit better.

...But then we have the bodypainting, which make things uncomfortable and starts pushing it in the unacceptable territory. The KKK costumes are just flat out disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom