• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Game Studio and XB360 Rep Here Taking Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to introduce Arne who is an official Microsoft representative that will be posting information and can answer questions regarding games from Microsoft Game Studios, the Xbox, and the upcoming Xbox 360. So please welcome him and appreciate the opportunity that we have here to get the official word on games and the launch of the 360. Thanks.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
is every single 360 title going to be internally rendered at 720p, then scaled to fit whatever resolution your tv supports?

Amir0x

Banned
Ya seriously, keep it legit boys and girls.

Fuzzy: I'm guessing because it was a sudden thing

but I dunno, maybe it will go to interview boards later

AirBrian

What games will be backward compatible at launch? And if you don't know or are not willing to say, when will MS release the list?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Is he going to be able to respond negatively about 360 stuff if things aren't great, or is he just a glorified, allowed viral marketeer?

Which ermm...I guess would be a marketeer.

Jeff-DSA

-With all of the attention Rare is getting, and assuming their two launch titles are going to be big sucesses, can we expect to see their more well-known franchises making comebacks? I know a lot of us are eagerly awaiting another Banjo game or another Killer Instinct.

-For how long after launch will Microsoft continue to work on backwards compatibility support? Can we expect niche titles such as Panzer Dragoon Orta or Phantom Dust to be supported at some time?

Because it's not an interview. He's a MS rep who will be here on the boards posting and replying. This announcement is just to certify that he is legit and that he is in the know of what's going on.

pxleyes

Banned
So who do I contact about the horrible "judging" of www.hex168.com. I would like to file a formal complaint against the judges who couldn't even set some sort of standard by why they chose the winners. They also didn't follow the rules according to the criteria. They chose funny ones, not the ones based off the official criteria...

123rl

Hello Arne

I'd like to ask when will we know:

- what games are available on launch day
- how many machines will be available at launch
- how soon before the second batch of consoles will be available?

why do the 360 Kiosks have the xbox version for NBA2k6 trailers?

What is with this "launch window" crap i mean honestly how is this diffrent from regular games that come out 3 months after a regular system launch? do you feel that a buzzword will somehow make the Launch window line up that much better?

How do you respond to the allegations that Microsoft is creating this supply shortage for launch in an attempt to create demand for the system?

roughly how many systems can be expected to be in NOrth america at launch?

thnx.

Striek

How can you claim the X360 launch to be worldwide when you neglect to launch in Australia? We may not be the biggest country in the world but we generally have consoles launched with or before Europe, and Xbox was well recieved here (certainly sold more than it did in Japan and most European countries).

As a follow-up, when is the Australian X360 launch, officially?

1. What resolution and frame rate is PGR 3 running at?
2. What titles will be available for purchase at launch?
3. Is Perfect Dark Zero running at 30fps?
4. Which launch titles (if any) make use of the hard drive?

Amir0x

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Because it's not an interview. He's a MS rep who will be here on the boards posting and replying. This announcement is just to certify that he is legit and that he is in the know of what's going on.

Ah, that's what I was wondering.

arne

Ha. Yeah, this is legit and here I am. Thanks for the intro Marty!

I hope everybody can at least tolerate my presence! (I hope.)

So what can I say about me real quick? I'm here and doing this work because I love video games first and foremost. I just happen to work in the industry and I just happen to have ties to Xbox that make me a community rep. But I'm really on here because I never stopped playing video games for a second since I started back in 1980 (yeah, that dates me hehe). I play just about everything but lately I've stuck to FPS, driving games, some sports games and, like many folks, feeding my addiction to MMORPGs (I'm on FFXI).

Anyway, I'm here to try to answer your questions as best I can, listen to your comments and anything else that I can do that I can't think of -- I may not always have all the answers, but I'll do the best I can.

arne

Amir0x said:
Ya seriously, keep it legit boys and girls.

Fuzzy: I'm guessing because it was a sudden thing

but I dunno, maybe it will go to interview boards later

[EDIT] Marty answered this for me already.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Arne,

There is a recent thread here on GAF discussing the ability/inability of the Xbox 360 being able to handle 4 corded controllers. Can you comment on this and if there is a solution in order to allow 4 wired controllers?

Jim

Please everyone... keep this civil :) Or risk being banned.

Arne has been nice enough to dedicate some time at GAF to answer questions and directly discuss the various Xbox/Xbox 360 topics.

Thanks!

What is the warranty on the 360 going to be in the US? Lifetime right? :)
What is the expected battery life with the wireless controllers? Using both the battery pack and just using AAs.
Any cool features on the dashboard that haven't been widely publicized yet?
Any word on Marketplace content on day one? Demos, gamertiles and such?

GhaleonEB

Microsoft has made clear that the XBox 360 experience will be an HD one - which comes with minimum specifications that 360 games will perform to. One of them is that all games will be rendered in 720p as the minimum resolution. There is a thread that began today claiming that PGR3 is being rendered by the system at less than that, and then upscaled to 720p. This is causing many, including myself, to question how committed Microsoft is to their advertised standards.

Can you address the claim in the thread I linked to, and speak to how serious MS is in general about these minimum standards?

Thanks.

HokieJoe

Hello Arne, welcome to GAF.

Please comment if you will, on whether all games will be rendering internally at > 1280 x 720; or will some games be rendered internally at lower resolutions and then scaled up to a 720p or 1080i resolution?

Thank you

EDIT:

Ghaleon beat me to it. :)

Redbeard

Banned
If MS feels there are enough people without HD sets that they're willing to release a version of the 360 without the necessary cables, then why is every game required to be rendered in 720p (PGR3 fiasco aside for a moment), especially since people like Carmack have criticized the requirement saying that he'd rather have the choice to make a game in standard res with more effects?

VALIS

Liquid said:
hello Arne! For the love of god can you please clear up the whole shipment numbers/allocation thing? :D

That's my most pressing question right now, too. If there are certain chains who are getting more units per store than others, by all means please tell us so those of us without pre-orders can find a 360 on the 22nd. And welcome, Arne.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I'm curious as to Microsofts exact roles in these MGS developments. Take Silicon Knights and Too Human for example. Now obviously MS is funding these ventures, but what other assistance does MS offer these developers?

Lakitu

st5fu
I should just like to say thanks for joining us :D I would ask a question but I don't want to add to GAF's ever growing list. :p

GhaleonEB

neptunes said:
Backwards Compatibility!!!!1

To be more clear: What games work out of the box, what games with download, at launch.

Speaking of lauch, it's in 12 days. What games will be available on the 22nd? Still lots of confusion out there.

123rl

Oh, I just thought of another question that I REALLY want an official answer about...

You can stream 720p material with an Xbox360. But the Xbox doesn't have HDMI or DVI with HDCP. So what will happen if you try and play something through the Xbox360 that requires DRM or HDCP protection? Will it play back at a lower resolution (480p) or will it just not play at all?

Liquid

Banned
Hey again Arne! Lots of gamers out there are worried about MS choosing th DVDformat for the 360. Just how do you guys plan on getting the most out of DVD capacity?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Hi arne. First of all, thanks for taking the time to do this. While I'm certainly not a big Xbox fan (but I am an owner), it shows some good commitment to the gaming community that MS representation is on GAF.

My biggest concern about the 360 library is that I don't really see many games that appeal to me, as I'm not a fan of the typical epic, photorealistc Western developed titles that we've seen a glut of on the original Xbox.

Q: What is MSGS doing to court developers who are willing to try new, original, genre-creating software? I realize we only have launch window to go by at this point, and a few offbeat titles (Senko no Ronde for example) are in the works, but where do you go from here? I feel like I'm stuck somewhere in between the casual, XBL Arcade crowd and the hardcore Gears of War crowd. What's in the middle?

Wolffen

Arne,

Thanks for offering this opportunity. A few quick questions, if you can answer them.

(1) Any word on when we'll finally have a list of titles the 360 is backwards compatible with come the 22nd?

(2) Will we be able to access custom soundtracks ripped to the 360 hard drive in Xbox games that support custom soundtracks (Burnout 3 or 4, for example, assuming they were backwards compatible)?

(3) Will the ability to stream music/photos from a USB device include using a USB hard drive or thumb drive?

(4) Any news on Shadowrun you can share?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dr_Cogent said:
If this is legit guys, could we please not turn it into some idiotic circus with stupid posts? Thanks.

Waay too late.

I'd like to get official confirmation on exactly which titles will be available during the launch day... not the launch window.

newsguy

Hi Arne, again, thanks for taking the time to take our questions. Many games (including Halo 1 and 2) had brightness issues, particularly when playing on large screen HDTVs. Will developers be required to have in-game brightness/contrast adjustments much like PC games do? It's disheartening to get home and pop in an epic game only to realize that it's way too dark and adjusting your display's brightness only washes out the image. Thanks.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Wait, wtf? We don't even know launch games yet? That's unbelievable!

Ermm...to make this a bit more on topic, I'd like to ditto geek's question.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
OK, I've deleted the dumb posts (c'mon guys, seriously now) and Jim has put the rest of you comedians on notice. Carry on!

Burger

Hi Arne,

My question is why is Microsoft calling the 360 a 'worldwide' launch, without Australia and New Zealand ?. This market has obviously been a bigger one for Xbox than say, Japan which is getting much more attention than our corner of the world (again, for obvious reasons).

When is Microsoft going to announce a launch date for Oceania and why wasn't it part of the mislabeled "Worldwide Launch" ?

123rl

Will it be possible to rip CDs using CD-Rs? I ripped my entire CD collection my Xbox and it took ages :lol It would have been MUCH more convenient to have been able to rip a few custom CDs and put them on the XBox, instead of having to do every CD.

Can the 360 play WMV-HD DVDs like Terminator 2? WMV on DVD-R? DTS 5.1 CDs? WMA 5.1 (on disc or through network share)? Is Neon available when playing these surround audio formats, and others like Dolby Digital 5.1 from DualDisc DVDs?

Does the digital A/V output have digital video that could be converted to HDMI without an A/D conversion?

Is the system dash, including the voice channels, available when playing Xbox 1 games?

Is there a way to transfer save files from the Xbox 1?

Do any Xbox 1 games include 360 code to enhance graphics? Is the emulator capable of reducing framerate slowdown?

Hi, Arne, thanks for your time. Will the Xbox 360 and the new Live allow cross-platform gaming in the future? Unless I'm imagining it, I seem to vaguely remember reading rumors/info along the lines of PC gamers being able to connect to Live and play with/against Xbox 360 users at some point.

Also, shortage (haha)?

Mason

Hello Arnie!

During the current generation, Microsoft converted me from a Nintendo fan and MS skeptic to a regular Xbox player. However, the Xbox 360 doesn't excite me in the least and I don't plan on buying one; at least not anytime in the near future. I suppose you could say I've become an Xbox skeptic all over again. What would you say to someone like me that isn't seeing a whole lot of promise in the Xbox 360 so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom