• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution's audio commentary is a new gold standard for video games

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally got around to booting up my copy of the Director's Cut, playing through with audio commentary as I'm already very familiar with the game. I've always loved this kind of stuff, like in Valve's games, as a way of giving you insight into the overall design philosophy, development process (what worked, what didn't), as well as giving away little secrets and homages you may not have noticed.

In Human Revolution the implementation is a bit clumsy. Activating is easy. If you're in the right location, or looking at a contextual object, the screen will display a commentary cue and all you have to do is press a button. Issue is there's no pause-play option, meaning some commentary will overrule cutscene dialogue or seem a bit intrusive during in-game sequences (like having guards to deal with). Plus there's no indication if you've listened to commentary cue yet, leading to easy replays.

That being said, the actual content of what they're discussing is truly outstanding. So far the commentary has been made up of Mary DeMarle (lead writer), Jonathan Jacques-Belletête (lead artist), Jean-François Dugas (director), and Steve Szczepkowski (audio director), and each has been honest, upfront, and highly critical of what they created. Each commentary recording is not like a paragraph or something, it's a full conversation between the group on whatever is relevant.

Before finishing the first mission, the one where you have to infiltrate the Sarif Industries manufacturing plant taken over by Purity First rebels, I've learned:

- All CGI cutscenes were supposed to be in-engine, letting you look around. They had a prototype of at least one working (when Jensen is attacked at the end of the prologue), but technical and time issues prevented implementing them.
- The intro was originally conceived as a playable tutorial in which Jensen would play a false break-in on Sarif Industries to test the new security system.
- When it was changed to the walk-and-talk intro they originally wanted to do the Half-Life thing where your fight through Sarif Industries after the terrorists attack would take you through the first areas, but couldn't do it due to many gameplay technicalities (like bounding boxes) not being programmed into the environment.
- Megan's necklace was intended by the writers but missed by the artists, eventually thrown over her finished outfit at the last minute. The team hated her "I need to pea" idle animation at the start of the game, but didn't have time to change it.
- The joke Final Fantasy XXVII poster had to be shown directly to Yoichi Wada, and leading artists on the Final Fantasy team, before it could be improved for in-game use. The team did this as it was drawn up shortly after the Square-Enix acquisition, and didn't want to cause problems.
- Stephen Shellen, who voices David Sarif, came across as charasmatic and friendly but not originally what they intended for the character. They kept him on as they liked his style, and it was early enough in development that they could construct his dialogue and persona to suit the actor.
- Faridah Malik was written as a Muslim American who'd mix Arabic language (like swears) with English, and intended to cast an actress who'd fit this criteria. They didn't, so they cut it. Oh, and her beauty spot isn't a beauty spot. It's a Monroe piercing.
- Detroit was chosen as the epicentre for Sarif Industries to symbolise the city's historic role in the automotive history, particularly economically and the impact it had on America, drawing parallels with the augmentation renascence.
- Scattering yellow paint cans all over the game world was the team's in-joke over the black-and-gold colour theme.

There's just so much stuff to listen to, and if you're into that "behind the scenes" kind of content it delivers in spades.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yep, the commentary is great .. but some of the "sessions" are WAAAAAAAY too long. Very insightful though. Considering they just ported the same game over a year, it's understandable that they had a lot of time to do these kind of things, since there was no new content created etc.

thejazzking

Neo Member
This is excellent! Thanks very much for posting. It has inspired me to revisit Human Revolution before I trade in my PS3 later this month.

Edge recently inspired me to revisit original Deus Ex too :D

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds great! Sold me on the £3.99 steam upgrade

jimi_dini

Haven't bought the Deus Ex HR Director's Cut yet (will do, on Wii U).

But I also love those technical commentaries with in depth information about development etc. I would be really happy in case more games had such a feature.

Even games that feature Making-Of (as a Limited Edition bonus) don't go into in-depth mode most of the time. I guess people creating those think that noone wants to listen to such information.

Is the voice actor for David Sarif still around? I love his voice but his career seems to have ended with Deus Ex HR, according to IMDB.

FyreWulff

Yeah, I wish commentary would be a more consistent feature in games. Downside is you either have to do it as a new edition (needs your game to sell well) or do it in the original game (requires you to record commentary and implement it, and the game itself might be coming in so hot that you can't do it).

Patching in is possible, but that requires post-ship money. Maybe it'd be cool if a future console had built in hooks where all developers would need to do is program it as an alternate audio track the console will play in "commentary mode".

Really, really interesting, thanks EatChildren!

- Faridah Malik was written as a Muslim American who'd mix Arabic language (like swears) with English, and intended to cast an actress who'd fit this criteria. They didn't, so they cut it. Oh, and her beauty spot isn't a beauty spot. It's a Monroe piercing.

Works much better as a beauty spot really.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Is the voice actor for David Sarif still around? I love his voice but his career seems to have ended with Deus Ex HR, according to IMDB.
I think the guy went cray-cray after Deus Ex, you can find vids of him on youtube where he's discussing conspiracy theories.

Droop

Neo Member
They have some interesting things to say, but it is kinda poorly implemented. They do talk quite a bit about how poor their engine was so that probably has something to do with it. It will start over if you load, it will sometimes stop if you hack and other times it won't. And some of the session are really, really long. You also have to just stumble upon the zones where the commentary is, because there are no in-game highlights.

In regards to Letitia, they talk about the unexpected controversy and how the character was not written as a black woman. They also wanted her to look a lot more like a bag lady. She was black in the game because they only had access to a certain voice actress at the time, I believe.

A lot of their initial plans sound so cool. They had Upper Hengsha as a city hub, and they original idea for the ending was to
have Jensen really wounded and crawling towards blow up Panchea button while Eliza was walking calmly next to you.

Someone uploaded a sample of the commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dGTKxx4dk

Oh and, expect a lot of french accents :>

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, it's hard to find the commentary, and you do have to sit through it. Nodes would be the smarter choice, showing up on your map. I could see how it would be extremely easy to miss commentary in the current form.

Still, the quality makes up for it, in my opinion. Like, I just learned that the hacking mini-game was the first major gameplay component they ironed out, originally designed as some super detailed, obtuse CPU management system in excel spreadsheets and eventually simplified to the UI we got in the game.

Agree 100%, though I'd like to stop the commentary, or maybe even pause it. Also why not have the commentary accessible once you "pick it up" so I can listen to it later.

Zampano

Love stuff like this. The MGS4 podcasts were really cool. Enjoyed wandering around some of the levels finding out about Easter eggs as the designers reveal them.

NEO0MJ

Muslim-American? What's that supposed to be?

EatChildren

Muslim-American? What's that supposed to be?

Iono. Someone who identifies as an American citizen but is also a practising Muslim, or perhaps grew up in an Islamic state? I don't remember if they said explicitly "MUSLIM AMERICAN", but she was supposed to be Muslim, and she is also American.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, spent $5 on the PC because of the commentary and the game doesn't even start. Wonderful.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'll get around to revisiting Detroit as soon as I finish my reromp in the Mojave.

I did love the developers commentary in Valve games. Sad it is not done a whole lot of times, but it is a bit harder to do since you also have to implement a decent system to show the commentary. Would be easier for the developers to just have a video of a playthrough or something, but that would be boring for viewers.

EatChildren

- Early versions of the game did not use praxis kits for XP points, and Jensen was not fully augmented. You would go to LIMB clinics to buy augs, and cutscenes would show the operation of surgeons removing your organic parts and replacing them with augs.
- Team frequently debated whether or not you should be armed in neutral zones, like LIMB clinics and Sarif HQ. They wanted players to have the freedom to cause chaos everywhere as that is the spirit of Deus Ex, but it was a technical nightmare getting it right in important neutral zones you were prone to revisiting, so the forced holstered choice was made.
- Letitia was added late in the game, during the Beta build, when the team only had access to a pool of four actors, and only one available for scheduling. Intention was for Letitia to be a "hardcore hobo" bag lady style character, and was actually the actresses choice to voice her the way she did (and she was African American). At the time they didn't see it as an issue, but after comments cropped up post-launch felt bad about it, and believe the character would have been better perceived had more time been spent making her look the part.
- Oron petrol station was named after the same location in Nigeria, as reference to the country's exploitive oil politics.
- The only prostitute with a name is Charlotte, named as a homage to Iron Maiden's Charlotte The Harlot.
- Originally planned to have "events" happen in the game between NPCs and the game world that wouldn't be categorised as side quests, but simply things that you could chose to involve yourself in or not. These were cut for two reasons: technical engine and production. Former because the engine had a hard time handling complex stuff like this. The latter because they proved to be a complicated production requirement given the Deus Ex philosophy of allowing you to play how you want with so many variations in augs and equipment. They wanted to ensure players would always be satisfied with the payoff for their play style, and this is why the attention shifted exclusively towards structured side quests.

Maxrunner

Been playing this on the wiiu, great game, the only thing i'm really missing here is the wiimote support, the cover system in this game would be perfect for wiimote+nunchuk....shame...

Terra_Ex

The commentary is great but it really needs some way to skip aleady-played pieces, some of them are so long...

What was most interesting was the piece where they were discussing choices and consequences and it sounded like the game was pretty close to shipping with zero consequences for player actions (like when they were discussing how you could screw around in Sarif Industries and the hostages would be dead on arrival.) Really insightful to learn that divergence for instances like that wasn't even planned or accounted for at that stage of production, especially when the internet was divided pre-launch as to whether this was gonna be a good game or fall flat on its face, if they hadn't made those changes I'd imagine it would have received a very different reception upon launch.

I'm most looking forward to the commentary that explains the rationale behind the lacklustre ending, that and the lack of closure between Jensen, Megan and Sarif was main issue with the game, an oversight which is all the more surprising since they seemingly had dedicated writers on the team and went into great detail in some aspects of establishing these characters (Adam's apartment being a great place for commentary snippits). Great commentary regardless though.

I found it amusing in that listening to the commentary talking about how they added in the consequences of wasting too much time at the Sarif building last minute in development, I almost ended up facing the consequences of wasting too much time at the Sarif building. I loved the commentary, great group to listen to on the various insights of what they had to face creating the game, the world, the audio. A very candid, humble group.
And they still didn't change the arrangement on Sarif's chessboard.

I just kind of wish they incorporated the commentary itself a little better, being able to skip ones you've listened to (or even knowing beforehand that it was a commentary you listened to), maybe having actual visible nodes in the world that you could see instead of sometimes playing a Where's Waldo of quickly passing by the cue and trying to walk back and find the exact spot to bring it back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, spent $5 on the PC because of the commentary and the game doesn't even start. Wonderful.
Figured it out. The problem? The integrated graphics chip. While I use a GTX680, I left the HD4000 (or whatever it is) integrated chip enabled/installed despite not really using it. I simply disabled that in device manager and, viola, the game starts. How bizarre.

One of the things that I never even realized was how the camera in the elevator during the intro and the Intellicam at Sarif after Adam gets augmented were supposed to be
Eliza watching Adam all along.

Xander51

I'm glad to hear that the commentary in this is good, I should probably pick it up some time. Loved the commentaries in Riddick and Alan Wake.

Oublieux

I still need to pay this, would it be too weird to have a first play through with the commentaries?

I highly suggest you play the game at least once before heading off into commentary as they heavily insinuate future outcomes/consequences of the game early on. Plus, it gets in the way of gameplay at times.

One of the things that I never even realized was how
the camera in the elevator during the intro and the Intellicam at Sarif after Adam gets augmented were supposed to be Eliza watching Adam all along.

I would spoiler tag this...

bhlaab

Weird, I'm playing this right now and the commentary message didn't appear at all for Letitia.

One of the things that I never even realized was how the camera in the elevator during the intro and the Intellicam at Sarif after Adam gets augmented were supposed to be
Eliza watching Adam all along.

Yeah, that's sort of a huge problem with the game. I'm all for making the player piece together the details out on their own but they got way too subtle with even the most basic plot information at points. That, in addition to the huge chunks of cut content meant I had no idea wtf was going on in my first playthrough.

Finally got around to booting up my copy of the Director's Cut, playing through with audio commentary as I'm already very familiar with the game. I've always loved this kind of stuff, like in Valve's games, as a way of giving you insight into the overall design philosophy, development process (what worked, what didn't), as well as giving away little secrets and homages you may not have noticed.

In Human Revolution the implementation is a bit clumsy. Activating is easy. If you're in the right location, or looking at a contextual object, the screen will display a commentary cue and all you have to do is press a button. Issue is there's no pause-play option, meaning some commentary will overrule cutscene dialogue or seem a bit intrusive during in-game sequences (like having guards to deal with). Plus there's no indication if you've listened to commentary cue yet, leading to easy replays.

That being said, the actual content of what they're discussing is truly outstanding. So far the commentary has been made up of Mary DeMarle (lead writer), Jonathan Jacques-Belletête (lead artist), Jean-François Dugas (director), and Steve Szczepkowski (audio director), and each has been honest, upfront, and highly critical of what they created. Each commentary recording is not like a paragraph or something, it's a full conversation between the group on whatever is relevant.

Before finishing the first mission, the one where you have to infiltrate the Sarif Industries manufacturing plant taken over by Purity First rebels, I've learned:

- All CGI cutscenes were supposed to be in-engine, letting you look around. They had a prototype of at least one working (when Jensen is attacked at the end of the prologue), but technical and time issues prevented implementing them.
- The intro was originally conceived as a playable tutorial in which Jensen would play a false break-in on Sarif Industries to test the new security system.
- When it was changed to the walk-and-talk intro they originally wanted to do the Half-Life thing where your fight through Sarif Industries after the terrorists attack would take you through the first areas, but couldn't do it due to many gameplay technicalities (like bounding boxes) not being programmed into the environment.
- Megan's necklace was intended by the writers but missed by the artists, eventually thrown over her finished outfit at the last minute. The team hated her "I need to pea" idle animation at the start of the game, but didn't have time to change it.
- The joke Final Fantasy XXVII poster had to be shown directly to Yoichi Wada, and leading artists on the Final Fantasy team, before it could be improved for in-game use. The team did this as it was drawn up shortly after the Square-Enix acquisition, and didn't want to cause problems.
- Stephen Shellen, who voices David Sarif, came across as charasmatic and friendly but not originally what they intended for the character. They kept him on as they liked his style, and it was early enough in development that they could construct his dialogue and persona to suit the actor.
- Detroit was chosen as the epicentre for Sarif Industries to symbolise the city's historic role in the automotive history, particularly economically and the impact it had on America, drawing parallels with the augmentation renascence.
- Scattering yellow paint cans all over the game world was the team's in-joke over the black-and-gold colour theme.

There's just so much stuff to listen to, and if you're into that "behind the scenes" kind of content it delivers in spades.
Holy shit! Director's cut has audio commentary? I didn't even know that games did that!

Weird, I'm playing this right now and the commentary message didn't appear at all for Letitia.

Yeah, that's sort of a huge problem with the game. I'm all for making the player piece together the details out on their own but they got way too subtle with even the most basic plot information at points. That, in addition to the huge chunks of cut content meant I had no idea wtf was going on in my first playthrough.

They actually admitted that they dropped that background detail and forgot to flesh it out throughout the game.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit! Director's cut has audio commentary? I didn't even know that games did that!

Hi, and welcome to Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Director's Cut. Please let me know what you think after you have had a chance to play. I can be reached at ajensen@sarifindustries.com. I get about 10,000 emails every time I hack Pritchard's firewall, and while I can't read all of them, I do mark all of them as spam. Finally, my favorite class is the Spy. Thanks, and have fun!

Top Bottom