• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

DBT85

Updated 08/12/2013

OK, Tested.com has a great video where they measure load times of KZ, Knack and Resogun, and load actual levels of each game, using Samsung SSD, Seagate SSHDD and stck drive.

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459128-tested-playstation-4-hard-drive-vs-ssd-vs-hybrid-drive/

There's a massive speed increase in level load times on a KZ level (they actually tested with Ch 2.2) with SSD and SSHDD compared to stock. It also shows that SSHDD lags only a second behind pure SSD, making it a clear choice for this purpose:

39s SSD
41s SSHDD
59s Stock

How to change your HDD.

The lastest 1.51 full firmware (It's European, but IIRC they are all identical)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those of you fortunate enough to have a PS4 in your possession, would it be possible for you to take a few moments to detail some of the following information for us.

I DO NOT WANT TIMES TO PS LOGOS OR SPLASH SCREENS

HDD Installed (model # & size):
Cost of HDD:
Boot from cold to menu time:
Boot from standby to menu time:
Game boot times (from XMB to menu/start, Disk/Digital):

Obviously copy the game boot time line for all the games you have tested since each will be different.

RULES!!!
  • All games must be ENTIRELY installed onto your drive, please do not post a time while it is still installing the game in question or any other game.
  • Please ensure you have your settings set for standby. See below for instructions.
  • There are two Standby boots, one while the PS4 is active and one while it is dormant.
  • If you skip a splash screen, tell me.
  • Vidoes showing your times are best!

Thanks for helping :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is some kind of disparity in how different people are measuring it makes it almost impossible to get a real gauge of where things stand. Clearly the only reliable way to gather this kind of information is to have one person do it with multiple drives. Or at least get recordings of every test by every person so that they can all be looked at and judged by one person to the same standard each time.

Here is the update. I've done what I can but frankly it's all over the shop and we don't have nearly enough data. The other issue of course is that games could be designed to get to the menu quick but have longer load times for saves and stuff. Those are things that matter more than the initial boot.

MHkARDj.png

Updated 08/12/2013

leehom

I'll do this once I get my PS4 from Amazon. I have a Seagate hybrid shdd ?

Edit.

HDD Installed (model # & size): Seagate Momentus XT STBD750100 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive -Retail kit
Cost of HDD: $130
Boot from cold time: 21 Seconds to xmb
Boot from standby time: 25 seconds to xmb.
Game boot times (from XMB to actually playing): COD:G (disc) - 17 seconds, Contrast - 5 seconds, Resogun - 11 seconds, AC4 (disc) - 12 seconds.
Shut down - 31 seconds.
Boot from soft standby with background downloading - 4 seconds.

Maybe performance will be better in the future, but right now it doesn't look like it's much of an upgrade.

Edit2. Redid the boots times and it seems to be better than yesterday. Updated my times. Btw, I don't stop the clock until the xmb appears. Don't know if some people are stopping it at the safety message which would be roughly 2-3 seconds before the xmb starts loading.

Awesome....this is the thread I have been waiting for. Still 2 weeks until the PS4 releases here so hopefully there is plenty of feedback in here so we can get an idea on what does what and how much quicker it does it.

Subbed :)

Tsundere

Banned
Will test SSHD when I get back home.

I installed my SSHD (1tb) when I got my console this morning and installed the firmware update and it was fairly quick.

wow some of ya spending more on a drive than the console lol.

Quite curious how different drives perform because on pc, ssd's benefit the snappiness of the os the most, while for games, you save maybe a few seconds of already short loading times at most, was most definitely not worth the extra dough.

nynt9

So I have not yet received my PS4, but I'll be getting it in a few hours. I already have a SSHD. What are the steps I need to follow to install it? Do I set the console up and then do some stuff, or can I just set it up with the new drive?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
First of all thanks for setting up the thread (I wouldn't be able to keep on top).

Shouldn't the game boot times differentiate between Disc based and Download? i.e. not all Killzone boots will be the same so you would want to highlight this, otherwise it could distort results.

Also is it worth noting the space used at the time of testing? This is because someone testing Resogun on a SSHD with a NAND large enough and nothing else installed could be booting it straight from solid state, however if they had 200GB of other games installed then it could alter the boot speed?

DBT85

So I have not yet received my PS4, but I'll be getting it in a few hours. I already have a SSHD. What are the steps I need to follow to install it? Do I set the console up and then do some stuff, or can I just set it up with the new drive?

You can out the new drive in straight away and get the 800 of MB file to boot with on a USB stick. Personally I'd try the existing drive for a few hours to just check everything is OK before I fiddle with it.

th4tguy

For those testing, make sure you provide results for games that are fully cached to the hdd. Loading has been said to be longer while the game is still caching to the hdd so that could skew results if times are recorded for both systems don't have the same testing scenarios.

DBT85

Also is it worth noting the space used at the time of testing? This is because someone testing Resogun on a SSHD with a NAND large enough and nothing else installed could be booting it straight from solid state, however if they had 200GB of other games installed then it could alter the boot speed?

The issue with the SSHD times is that they could constantly fluctuate if person a only plays Killzone and person B plays 5 different games.

I'd personally avoid 7200rpm drives because of heat concerns, but I'm pretty conservative, especially with new hardware.

Cheapest bet is around $90 though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875&ignorebbr=1

Not that I know much of anything about this stuff, but I'm not seeing much of a difference in temperature if I look at the spec sheet of the 1TB 7200rpm drive from Hitachi and the 5400rpm 1.5TB or the 1TB SSHD from Seagate. In fact the latter 2 seem to be anywhere in between 5-10°C hotter than the first if I looked at it correctly at least.

At any rate, hope to see some benchmarks for all the drives. I have no idea which one to get atm.

My question is: what should I use? A 7200 RPM drive or an SSHD? I would think that the 7200 RPM drive would give more consistent results, as I wouldn't be held back by the cache. I think the cache would work well if I played one or two games but what about 6 or 7?

nynt9

You can out the new drive in straight away and get the 800 of MB file to boot with on a USB stick. Personally I'd try the existing drive for a few hours to just check everything is OK before I fiddle with it.

Where do I get the boot file from? Is it something I need to download from somewhere?

First of all thanks for setting up the thread (I wouldn't be able to keep on top).

Shouldn't the game boot times differentiate between Disc based and Download? i.e. not all Killzone boots will be the same so you would want to highlight this, otherwise it could distort results.

I'm very interested to see these results, however, as Boganglez has noted, there are some key factors that need to be taken into consideration.

Games need to be fully installed before any kind of speed tests are done, otherwise we're going to just be looking at disc speed streaming to and then from the hard drive for every disk based game. And it is likewise well put that the game's size will play a definite role, as SSHDs would definitely show their greatest strengths with the smallest games.

If people are honest and specific, this will be a great thread. If people aren't careful however, it will be entirely useless.

Where do I get the boot file from? Is it something I need to download from somewhere?

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/pc_update/index.htm#installationSteps

Your guide to putting in a new hard drive and a link to the new hard drive install files all in one place, Sony approved.

Sickbean

Oh boy, I don't know if I should feel like I wasted money though since I'm even sure that they make SATAII SSHD/SSDs. Either way it'll still be faster than a standard 5400 drive.

It takes pretty fast SSDs in a PC to saturate SATA II. You'll still get a big difference.

mobius006

Thanks for the advice.

Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression SATA III would not work?

Sata is backwards compatible.

I have a sata 3 256 ssd in my ps4 now. Was 188 gb after formatting. Boot times for games is fantastic. Much faster then the 5200 standard drive.

nynt9

I'm very interested to see these results, however, as Boganglez has noted, there are some key factors that need to be taken into consideration.

Games need to be fully installed before any kind of speed tests are done, otherwise we're going to just be looking at disc speed streaming to and then from the hard drive for every disk based game. And it is likewise well put that the game's size will play a definite role, as SSHDs would definitely show their greatest strengths with the smallest games.

If people are honest and specific, this will be a great thread. If people aren't careful however, it will be entirely useless.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/pc_update/index.htm#installationSteps

Your guide to putting in a new hard drive and a link to the new hard drive install files all in one place, Sony approved.

Thanks!

Rizzilio

Neo Member
Thanks for the advice.

Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression SATA III would not work?

SATA III speeds aren't supported, but SATA III drives will work.

This is what I have running in my PS4, it's SATA III capable but runs just fine in my PS4; just uses SATA II speeds. I'll try and post up some speeds in this post later, and edit in more games as I test them.

*Edit*

HDD Installed (model # & size): HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (model 0S03563)
Cost of HDD: $70 (was a sale on amazon, currently $90)
Boot from cold time: 20 seconds (from first beep until the first text shows up on screen)
Boot from standby time: 3.5 seconds (from first beep until main screen)
Game boot times (from XMB to actually playing, Disk/Digital):

Resogun: 12 seconds (from pressing start until first text appears)
Killzone: Shadowfall (disk): 10.1 seconds (from pressing start until splash screen)
Contrast: 5 seconds (from pressing start until first splash screen)

Posted this last night.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So far cold boot - 17-20 secs from the beep
Complete shutdown - 28-32 secs

Standby shutdown - 20-22 secs
Standby boot - 18-20 secs

All with auto login. I tested it a few more times and the results change a little. Sometimes a little less or sometimes a little more. I can update tonight to see if anything major changes but those were the most common numbers i was getting.

eXx

Neo Member
I bought the Seagate ST1000LM014 1TB SSHD. When I get off of work I'll edit this post to share my cold boot times and cold game start times for Killzone, BF4, and NBA 2K14.

nynt9

Wait, I don't see any information regarding hard drive changes. That link only has instructions for update 1.5

Sinfamy

For 1TB the only 2 choices are the HGST Travelstar or the Seqgate SSHD. I'd advise against others like Toshiba or Samsung as they have either stopped production or have higher than normal defect rate.

If you want a HDD with pure speed, I'd advise to sacrifice the space and get the 750GB Scorpio Black, as the Travelstar seems a little bit slower.

As for the SSHD I'm afraid of strange seek times when switching between platter and NAND, thought I did order it, and will test.

What about "The Playroom" after the disc upgrade???
I'm pretty sure that it exists on the 900MB recovery, though I will test. Otherwise it could be on the store.

Wait, I don't see any information regarding hard drive changes. That link only has instructions for update 1.5

Those are the directions on how to install the new software on a new hard drive. It's a different file from the 1.5 update. This is for new hard drives and is a 859mb file as opposed to the much smaller update, and it requires a flash drive. If you want the hardware installation directions, GameSpot did a video about it. (They get to the software aspect near the end, but never give you a link to the files you need.)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-install-a-playstation-4-hard-drive/1100-6416162/

Top Bottom