• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP 999 | 9 Posts 9 Thread 9 Gaffers | GAF was right!

TheChaos0

DSCLAIMER: Buy the game. Play the game. May contain spoilers...do not spoil yourself... just buy the game...play the game...all hail GAF.

Holy shit...excuse my language but wow, I just got the true ending and I'm not sure what to say.

I learnt of 999 - 9 Hours 9 Doors 9 Persons from GAF, from both numerous LTTP threads that pop up quite often and constant mentions that you should play 999 before VLR. It was such a highly praised game that I had to play it. And I did, through all the possible ending and now through the true ending.

Now a Visual Novel became of my greatest games that I have played and I'm not really into VNs. I have only played Katawa Shoujo before (only 1 route) and while it was good...999 was something else. In short amazing.

I know there's another 999 LTTP thread going on but it's also about VLR so I'm not sticking my head in there. Plus, I think there should be as many of these thread as possible, the story is amazing, everyone should experience it.

While it's still fresh in my head (mega spoilers):

Did I understand it correctly, Akane was Zero... or to be precise will be Zero? It almost feels like she wasn't actually there and it was just a morphogenetic projection, considering she was a transmitter...(then maybe is Zero). This explains somwhat the fevers when deviating from the path she was on the ship in the past and also why she didn't recognise her brother... although it's a bit weird... she recognised Junpei.

I assume VLR continues the story...somehow... I have played the demo but don't really remember much apart from there were some similarities. A big guy that has lost his memory...that sounds familiar. Given that 999 was a Prologue... VLR is the main story, there's going to be an Epilogue or does it wrap things up.

The last puzzle was amazing... well sudoku as last puzzle was amazing in its own right but the presentation that lead to the puzzle and during the puzzle was...emotionally powerful... such a good use of 2 screens... and when you had to literally flip your DS around and you had the image of tearful Akane and the sudoku puzzle....ahhh I was actually in a hurry to solve it.

There's one thing that's bothering me... Lotus, there's not a whole lot known about her by the end, she worked in a security company and her daughter was in the experiment 9 years ago. Was she wearing a dancer's outfit... why did she act so indifferent and unmotivated sometimes.

Oh, right at the end..that was Alice? What the hell is going on in here!? Hahahahahahha...

Serrato

That game is simply amazing. Story over everything else, but that's what it was going for.

Also, some great puzzles. The only thing that got on my nerves is that on replays you had to redo each puzzles which could get tedious when you redo the cabin puzzle for the 12 times.

Virtue Last Reward is almost or as good! Get it!

Nibel

Welcome in our world

3WmPscv.gif

Glad that you've enjoiyed it! Get VLR :)

Sorian

Banned
Can I do open spoilers?

Ah well, I guess I'll tag, in regards to your spoilers:
You seem to have missed a beat. June recognizes her brother and, as a matter of fact, her brother was the 0 that ever had any type of physical presense (kidnapping them, throwing the smoke into the room during safe ending, etc.). Your theory on the fevers is correct. Anytime they deviated from the correct course, she got a fever because her death was becoming true in that reality. Her death was by fire which is where the fever comes from

Oh and 999 was retconned into the beginning of a trilogy. It was originally supposed to be a one off but now it is part 1 with VLR being part 2 and the final game hopefully coming soon.

Every time there's another LTTP 999 thread, the world factually becomes a better place.

Onto VLR! No fancy gameplay tricks and having to worry about routes or whatever, just make sure to never save in a puzzle room.

i like ever17, though it takes ages to get to the point where the story goes really mindblowing.
I loev though how the abject boredom due to familiarity by the time you're finishing up the fourth ending plays so beautifully into having your world turned upside down once the true ending starts up.

Frost_Ace

One thing that I don't see praised enough about this game is the OST and the sound mixing, every song is amazing and comes up always at the right time, no game made me so terrified with so little at their disposal. This is an aspect that I found lacking in VLR, they overused some tracks, and they weren't as effective as the first game.

Anyway amazing series, can't wait for ZE3.

-Horizon-

I have only played Katawa Shoujo before (only 1 route) and while it was good...

Ok, yes 999 is an amazing game. But more importantly, I think you need to go and fix this. Also important, whose route did you finish? This will determine my opinion of you on GAF.

TheChaos0

Get VLR. Now.

Soon, I was holding off because I didn't play 999 but I don't think my mind is ready yet...

After playing VLR go play Ever 17, if you think 999 and vlr are mind bending wait til you play e17

I have heard of that one... I'll try to remeber the name.

Can I do open spoilers?

Ah well, I guess I'll tag, in regards to your spoilers:
You seem to have missed a beat. June recognizes her brother and, as a matter of fact, her brother was the 0 that ever had any type of physical presense (kidnapping them, throwing the smoke into the room during safe ending, etc.). Your theory on the fevers is correct. Anytime they deviated from the correct course, she got a fever because her death was becoming true in that reality. Her death was by fire which is where the fever comes from

Oh and 999 was retconned into the beginning of a trilogy. It was originally supposed to be a one off but now it is part 1 with VLR being part 2 and the final game hopefully coming soon.

Hmm, during the final incinerator, the inner monologue of Akane (?) said something like I was Zero...no not yet, I was less than Zero. My mind was melting by that point though.

I only figured that it was a trillogy because, when they were on the boat it was mentioned that this was only a prologue.

One thing that I don't see praised enough about this game is the OST and the sound mixing, every song is amazing and comes up always at the right time, no game made me so terrified with so little at their disposal. This is an aspect that I found lacking in VLR, they overused some tracks, and they weren't as effective as the first game.

Anyway amazing series, can't wait for ZE3.

This tune, this fucking tune...and of course the first comment is a spoiler.. to VLR I guess.... thanks Internet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjNi14fKSow

Ok, yes 999 is an amazing game. But more importantly, I think you need to go and fix this. Also important, whose route did you finish? This will determine my opinion of you on GAF.

If it wasn't
Rin
then disappointed father GAF has no son.

Sorry, I do mean to play through it but I can never find time, while my life is incredibly uneventful and boring, work takes a lot of time away, what's left isn't much. One day.

And it was Emi. I was doing a blind run, so I wasn't going for anyone in particular, just going with the flow.

And it was Emi. I was doing a blind run, so I wasn't going for anyone in particular, just going with the flow.
Honestly that's the best way to play any visual novel. Making your decisions for yourself versus a faq is what makes the story immersive.

It's the second time that you look up how to do the true ending or whatever.

Congrats OP! Welcome to the fold :) Thanks for playing it.

Definitely play VLR, but don't be in too much of a hurry. Let 999 soak in for a bit. VLR isn't quite as good as 999, but it's still certainly worth playing.

TheChaos0

Honestly that's the best way to play any visual novel. Making your decisions for yourself versus a faq is what makes the story immersive.

It's the second time that you look up how to do the true ending or whatever.

The only reason to use a FAQ is if the to get to the route/true ending/whatever you need to think illogically or takes ridiculous amount of effort. Incidentally, I never done this but I'm planning to use a FAQ for true ending playthrough of Atelier Totori. :)

Congrats OP! Welcome to the fold :) Thanks for playing it.

Definitely play VLR, but don't be in too much of a hurry. Let 999 soak in for a bit. VLR isn't quite as good as 999, but it's still certainly worth playing.

That's my plan. I don't think I can play VLR right now. Probably begining of next year, that's enough time. :)

KiraFA37

So many weekly VLR/999 threads. I've done the same OP only played KS, VLR and 999 so far but they are a great introduction in to VN and got my appetite going.

Oh, right at the end..that was Alice? What the hell is going on in here!? Hahahahahahha...

Play VLR to find out... NOW!

Soon, I was holding off because I didn't play 999 but I don't think my mind is ready yet...

You will never be ready, but take your time.
Advanced quantum theory and Luna will wreck your heart and brain.

Can I do open spoilers? ..
Your theory on the fevers is correct. Anytime they deviated from the correct course, she got a fever because her death was becoming true in that reality. Her death was by fire which is where the fever comes from

Damn why do I only see this now? Should've read the TVtropes when I finished just like I did with VLR.

This tune, this fucking tune...and of course the first comment is a spoiler.. to VLR I guess.... thanks Internet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjNi14fKSow

Perfection. Hearing that gets me going.

-Horizon-

Sorry, I do mean to play through it but I can never find time, while my life is incredibly uneventful and boring, work takes a lot of time away, what's left isn't much. One day.

You also got Emi on your first run through? OP, you're good in my books :)

KmA

As much as I love 999, I feel like the only person who loved VLR way more. The voice acting and streamlined mechanics definitely add a lot to the experience.

JimPanzer

I only finished one ending
knife
but from what I've seen I don't understand the hype. yes, it was a fun time, but doesn't justify the hype around that game.

should probably finish the other endings before I draw a final conclusion.

knife
but from what I've seen I don't understand the hype. yes, it was a fun time, but doesn't justify the hype around that game.

Ummm yeah, that ending doesn't give you a true glimpse of how great this game is.

-Horizon-

knife

Yes, yes you should lol.

TheChaos0

Now read the Q&A and play VLR. *O*

Thank you for the FAQ. It answered all my questions I had on my mind. I can sleep easy tonight.

Looking back at other things, I really liked all the characters, how they were portrayed and how they interacted with each other. They didn't feel like they fit the anime archetypes, i other words... and I really hate this word but it's used often enough here... they didn't feel cliche.

The OST was great (especially the Morphogenetic Sorrow) and really contributed to the atmosphere. This is where visual audio medium trumphs over a plain book (books have their own advantages though). Music and general sound in the game plays such an important role to me, that sometimes it can easily make a worse game better, or a good game - great. And I don't understand people who would mute their games, while playing... unless it's a multiplayer game... It just feels wrong.

Sorian

Banned
Hmm, during the final incinerator, the inner monologue of Akane (?) said something like I was Zero...no not yet, I was less than Zero. My mind was melting by that point though.

June and Santa are both 0. It's all June's ideas but Santa is the physical being putting everything into play. To this day I still don't understand how exactly June going in and out of reality worked. I just kind of hand waved it because the rest of the story is top-notch.

TheChaos0

June and Santa are both 0. It's all June's ideas but Santa is the physical being putting everything into play. To this day I still don't understand how exactly June going in and out of reality worked. I just kind of hand waved it because the rest of the story is top-notch.

My understanding is this. June with them is the real thing, that is because Junpei saved her in the past through morphogenetic resonance. Whenever Jumpei was straying from that path that Akane saw in the past, she would get a fever. That is because she was nearing to the very end that she has escaped in the path, that being incinerated, hence the fever,

Now how she disappeared in the end, that's unclear... you could say that when they left the incineration chamber that she was still in the same place where she was resting. That's most the likely explaination.

knife

Are you not intrigued? Who is Zero? What does he want? What are all these people doing on the ship in the first place, why were they kidnapped? Is there a door 9 and if yes, what's behind it.

That was enough for me. It's a really good mystery. I also failed to mention that I couldn't put the game down, or play anything else.. or watch anything else... Literally, just the game,

Even if you need to look at the FAQ to get to the endings you need, I would recommend to do so. Don't miss out.

JimPanzer

yea sure, but I guess the answers won't statisfy me and add even more room for plot-holes. the whole setting is a bit too constructed for my taste, it requires too many complicated mechanics to deliver its "message" (e.g. just explaining how RED's and everything surrounding them work is probably 1/3 of the game).

Cody_D165

Banned
Welcome to the weekly Zero Escape-GAF thread! We hope you enjoy your stay.

OP, you gotta find a way to play VLR at some point (although you'll probably just end up in the "Excruciating wait for Zero Escape 3 club" with the rest of us, so no rush I guess!)

Just as a possible heads-up, if you end up with a physical 3DS cart of VLR, it's a good idea to not save in the puzzle rooms. There's a save corruption bug in a couple of them. Vita version and digital 3DS version don't have this issue AFAIK.

Audioboxer

This seems like one of the most recent LTTP threads, hope I've done you proud GAF (bought this solely based on GAFs word - I knew VLR existed, but didn't know they were connected nor did I plan on buying it (missed it on free PS Plus)).

I only bought my 3DS XL after Christmas and so far it's been an Animal Crossing simulator, so this will be a nice change.

999.jpg

This seems like one of the most recent LTTP threads, hope I've done you proud GAF (bought this solely based on GAFs word - I knew VLR existed, but didn't know they were connected nor did I plan on buying it (missed it on free PS Plus)).

I only bought my 3DS XL after Christmas and so far it's been an Animal Crossing simulator, so this will be a nice change.

999.jpg

Good job. Feel free to keep us posted while you play the game, and let us in on your thoughts!

Marcus

has there been any new information regarding zero escape 3? i remember the director wanted to reveal some more details before the end of 2013.

Top Bottom