• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony issues PS4 "blinking blue light" advice as customers report DOA

A number of North American PlayStation 4 owners have reported their consoles dead on arrival.

Following the North American launch of the console on Friday some customers reported their console failed to send a signal to their television. Instead of a white light, which indicates the console has entered the powered on state, they get a blinking blue light.

Videos of the problem have flooded YouTube, and there are now 600 one star reviews on Amazon, with many complaining about the inconvenience of contacting customer support to arrange for a replacement or a refund.

Last week Sony said it was investigating reported issues with PS4, but insisted the number of affected systems represented less than 0.4 per cent of shipped units to date - a number "within our expectations for a new product introduction". Over the weekend Sony announced it had sold over one million PS4 units in 24 hours following the North American launch.

Now, Sony has issued troubleshooting advice to those who have the dreaded "blinking blue light". It lists four possible causes:

TV compatibility
Issues with PS4 power supply
Issues with PS4 hard drive
Issues with other PS4 hardware

more here:

Copenap

Hope we'll get more info on the failure rate, if the 0.4% remain true it's really a good start but I have the feeling a lot of FUD is spread at the moment which could have a negative impact on the PS4s image.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doesn't say much but I believe firmly that TV compatibility issues are playing a role here.

Krakn3Dfx

Isn't the TV compatibility thing an hdcp issue? If so why wouldn't it have affected ps3 owners?

No issue here on my Mitsubishi, LG or Hisense either way, thankfully.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Laugh. People blaming the TVs. That's sorta already been shot down cause a number of gaffers had bad units got it replaced and it worked just fine on their "shitty US TVs".

heh_zps490c2e80.png

quest

Not Banned from OT
I am a "PAL guy" and I really dont get how the "US guys" are testing for the "guys" that will buy 2 WEEKS after (ie, they are the same machines)

Hopefully in next 2 weeks get firmware update that fixes some of the hard locking issues of thePS4. Those IMO are the pisser of the launch. The rest of the failures for most part seem to be in line with normal launches.

Gammacide

Failure rate is acceptable. Entitled children assuming everything they buy will work properly. They probably assume Best Buy employees know what they are talking about too. Christ. It's simple: if humans are involved in the production of your goods then there will be errors.

Failure rate is acceptable. Entitled children assuming everything they buy will work properly. They probably assume Best Buy employees know what they are talking about too. Christ. It's simple: if humans are involved in the production of your goods then there will be errors.
lol what is this?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah. So fucking entitled to think a 400 dollar machine should work. Brats.

There is definitely a quality issue with the hdmi port. Mine locks in tightly, but I lose video at the slightest touch. Just the weight of the cat5 cable laying on the hdmi cable kills it.

angrygnat

Back when the 360 first came out social media consisted mostly of MySpace and YouTube. Now you have outlets upon outlets for anyone who wants to post something. People are really apprehensive about the new consoles, and with good reason. The fact that the 360 had some kind of 4 in every ten failure rate at one point proves that a major company when pushed will release junk on its unsuspecting customers in the name of beating a competitor to the punch. In this gens case, both consoles have been pushed. Fanboys eat rumors like this up and surely aren't above fanning the flames. I think Sony has a legitament problem with their HDMI output. Other rumors have come and gone, but the HDMI out problem rumors have persisted. When the xb1 comes out there's going to be wild claims of network problems and Green Rings of Death. Were gonna be tossing those around till the end of the generation. It'll be months before we get any solid impressions that you can actually hang your hat on.

Well, fack.

iRWKWRPgNoGut.jpg

Edit: that would explain why many consoles die within minutes, if the current is too high the circuits can be permanently damaged pretty quickly.

I work for my money, thanks.

T.O.P

Banned

oh wow

HarryKS

Forgive me for saying this but this is not a well-thought out statement. The onus is on the manufacturer, not on the consumer. Always side with the consumer, always. As much as you might like a company, you can't support them when they do something wrong. When someone's going in to pay hard-earned cash to buy a piece of tech, it is not out of a sense of entitlement that they expect it to work. It should work. You're not supposed to have the fear of god. When it doesn't work they have a right to be angry or disappointed.

Marleyman

Banned

lol

This has to be bait. There's no other logical conclusion.
Well, fack.

iRWKWRPgNoGut.jpg

Edit: that would explain why many consoles die within minutes, if the current is too high the circuits can be permanently damaged pretty quickly.
Amazon tuning their own power supplies now? What a weird statement if that really came from Sony.

I think that the failure rate is acceptable considering how many units are out there and it seems like Sony is doing a really good job with the customer service based on people's comments. There's really no need for excessive damage control.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
0.4 per cent of shipped

I'm surprised it's a low of that given the amount of failures reported.

Anyway. I hope Sony can sort this out soon and resolve this before the Euro launch.

Pain

Banned
Laugh. People blaming the TVs. That's sorta already been shot down cause a number of gaffers had bad units got it replaced and it worked just fine on their "shitty US TVs".
Then for THOSE people it wasn't a TV issue.

TV is only 1 of the possible 4 issues Sony has identified.

Top Bottom