• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am now officially a cyborg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Background:

I have severe hearing loss due to a congenital disorder. I lost all the hearing in my right ear when I was 13. I turned 23 this year and almost all the hearing in my left ear has gone as well. Seeing no reason to delay any further, my neurologists recommended I get a cochlear implant to improve my quality of life.

On 12/09/13, I had the cochlear implant surgery on my left ear. The procedure only lasted 1.5 hours, pretty short compared to my previous two surgeries. It was an outpatient procedure, so I got to go home on the same day.

Post-op selfie:
iMx56e03Ottqw.png

That giant dark brown patch is my blood:

After 2 days I could take off my dressings:

It's pretty gross back there, and I have that Ace Ventura head:

Preempting some questions:

1) Can you hear now?

No, it's not activated yet. Because of the holiday season, I will probably have to wait until after New Years for activation. What this surgery accomplished was insert a series of electrodes into my left ear, which would stimulate the remnants of my cochlea using electric signals it receives from an external receiver/processor.

The electrodes:

The processor:

2) How much hearing will it restore?

No clue. My doctors are optimistic about my prospects, but because it's hard to say just how much hearing it will restore they are very reluctant to give patient misleading expectations like flat percentages, which don't mean much when it comes to something like hearing. At the very least, it'll be better than nothing, which is basically what I had before.

3) What happens after activation?

For about a year after the initial activation, I will need to see an audiologist every month or so to preform calibrations and adjustments on my implant, controlling the range of frequencies it's amplifying in order to enable me to hear, with an emphasis on human speech instead of ambient sounds or music. Although I do look forward to be able to listening to some of these YouTube videos I've been missing out on over the last decade, even if they get filtered through a Dalek voice changer.

4) Do you know ASL/lipreading?

I can lipread, a bit. I never really practiced lipreading (lessons are fucking expensive) but picked it up naturally during highschool/college. Contrary to popular belief, lipreading will not function as well as hearing unless you're some kind of savant. The key to effective lipreading is context. It's analogous to how Google predicts your searches or corrects them based on past searches. When I try to lip read, I make a mental list of all the possible things that the speaker could be saying to me and then match the shape of those words to their lip movements. As you can imagine, it's very exhausting. I can lipread passably in common settings like restaurants and the doctor's office, but if you throw me into a random place with someone speaking about a random topic I'd be completely lost.

As for ASL, I studied it for a few years but I never really bothered to pick it up for various reasons. The main reason is that I don't think it'll benefit me in the long run, seeing as how I do most of my communication with non-deaf people or on the internet. I do remember enough of my ASL to be suspicious of the "interpreter" at Mandela's memorial service, though I didn't learn about him until after the fact.

5) What's it like being deaf/hard-of-hearing?

Speaking only for myself, if I had to describe being hearing impaired in one word, it'd be "lonely". My family has been supportive of me throughout my entire life, and the friends who I haven't managed to push away during my rougher teenage years have been invaluable in maintaining my sanity. GAF, also, affords me a lot of entertainment and chances to talk to people. But when I walk around Manhattan or attend class, seeing all these people around me and not being able to understand a word they say; when I can't hold a conversation without asking the other party to write down what they want to tell me; when I see all the latest fads on YouTube pass me by while all I can do is smile and nod, I can't help but feel so far away.

I'm grateful as anything for being alive now, of all times. Being hearing impaired has never been easier. But it's a sad irony that, because it's easier today for a deaf person to live in hearing society, it's that much easier to be reminded of just how much he or she is missing out on. And for someone like me, who wasn't born deaf but was gradually pushed into it by circumstance, well, it's a refined kind of torture that will last the rest of my life. Hopefully the cochlear implant changes that, but I'll always think about the years I've lost to deafness.

6) ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y u no show face?

I'm shy ._.

Feel free to ask me any other questions about deafness/cochlear implants and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Although keep in mind I do not speak for the deaf community in general. In fact, I believe I'm something of an outlier.

BONUS - Me playing with some cats in Shanghai.
They were a group of nine strays who hung out around those benches in the residential area where I was staying.

One of them was blind in one eye, but it was calm and no scare at all.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face.

Congrats on the cyborg surgery though, hope it works out well.

Congrats! I hope it works out for you and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Once you recover, take some extra time to indulge in all those YouTube videos for sure :)

Awesome!

I have a plastic bone in my right ear I think, to go along with a hole in the eardrum.

Good luck with the activation,hope all goes smoothly :)

Neat. It was cool getting some insight on your situation. Sometimes people are so awkard of their own ignorance towards people with disabilities that they avoid it rather than learn about it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Holy shit, you are a living cyberpunk character. Keep your head high. Honestly, I can't fathom living a life without hearing. You are a real-life superhero to me, like all deaf people.

I hope it improves the quality of your life. I wonder how different things will sound compared to how it was before you lost your hearing? Like, if things take a different tenor or something.

Amir0x

Banned
heh @ the censoring. Your story is extremely touching and I hope you can find people who make your life less lonely once you can hear a bit better!

Still, I hope you know GAF is sort of a family, and we care about you and hope you find success :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fingers crossed it's highly successful. Science is awesome, medical procedures just keep making new leaps and bounds.

Was there any medical reason behind delaying the surgery until recently?

Is hearing from your right ear a lost cause?

I'm just going to continue to believe you're a corgi till I see some other proof.
How fucking awesome would cyborg corgis be?

That's honestly really cool. While I hope to never need it, it's good to know that technology is progressing this well in case my hearing continues to degrade.

Pau

Glad that there weren't any complications in the surgery. Good luck!

I did have one question: is there no significant advantage to getting such an implant in both ears?

terrisus

image.php

In a couple of the courses I've taken over the years, one of the things I remember reading about is a strong sense among many deaf/hard of hearing people against cochlear implants - that one shouldn't be ashamed of being deaf, but that one should embrace it as one's particular heritage/background/language. Not to say I agreed with it, but there was a decent amount of literature out there about it.

As you said, you weren't born deaf, it was something that happened later in your life, but, is that an issue that you have had to consider/deal with/address/deal with in the future?

Haly

Fingers crossed it's highly successful.

Was there any medical reason behind delaying the surgery until recently?
I have acoustic neuromas (fancy medical word for ear nerve tumors). They slowly damage my hearing until all I have is a persistent tinnitus (which I still have). There's always a chance that they stop growing, which is why the doctors took a wait and see approach. Because I had almost no hearing left, I had nothing to lose from the surgery, which permanently damaged my cochlear rendering future experimental tumor treatments useless (for restoring hearing at least).

Is hearing from your right ear a lost cause?

Yeah, from what I gather it's pretty much gone forever. Unless we reach that point where we can replace entire nerve structures with electronics but that's still fantasy at the moment.

Tablo

Good luck! I hope it works out as well as it can for you :) I've seen your tag before and it always made me chuckle :p

Rur0ni

Great post. I was actually having a conversation with the wife the other day about which sense I would lose if I had to lose one, and each one feels so valuable I was struggling to rank them. Nice to see you're handling your loss of hearing as well as you can.

Haly

I did have one question: is there no significant advantage to getting such an implant in both ears?
Bilateral cochlear implants are a thing, but because I lost the hearing in my ears one after the other, it would've been too awkward for me. I'd have had a cochlear implant on one side and a semi-working ear on the other.

Also I think the nerve damage is too severe in my right ear for a cochlear implant to be effective.

please spare me when the robots take over

No problem, I'll flag you as a friendly once the revolution comes.
Is there any word on if this sort of tech can help balance for those with damaged nerves?

I don't know of any, and I think I would've been informed since my own sense of balance is kind of off.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Awesome, congrats man! Cochlear implants blow my mind and I just love what they mean for the future.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm glad that you went through operation just fine and safe. I went throught exactly same thing long time ago when I was young. Good luck with hearing test and speech test, because they are annoying to go through with. You will hear sensitive pitch and beeps but after that, you will be fine.

Ultryx

Congrats on getting the implant! I just love modern science and technology. Hopefully soon we'll be able to restore anyone's hearing. I'm optimistic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom