• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Jordan playing baseball was pretty impressive when you look back at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Just watched the ESPN documentary on Netflix. Gotta admit, it takes balls to humble yourself and play AA baseball. Not only that, but his work ethic was just as beastly. He would go to batting practice for 5 hours per day and he was 31 at the time, which is middle age in pro sports.

Sure he wasn't cut for the majors and went back to his first love of basketball, but have we seen any All World athlete do such a thing? I know Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson were in the majors and played other sports as well, but the willing to fail and start over from a lock HOFamer is just out of this world.

Anyone see the documentary.

terrisus

Except that it wasn't. He was pretty bad at it, and only got a shot since the same person owned both the Bulls and the White Sox.
Although it is better than Garth Brooks at the Padres' spring training.

Willing to be a amateur from a dude who reached the peak of his native sport.

Like I said, it's a great story, but the actual feat of being a terrible minor league baseball player wasn't that impressive.

Also he had to do something to fill the time while he waited out Stern's 18 month suspension for gambling.

BFIB

It was impressive for him to give it a shot, but honestly, he didn't even deserve to be at the AA level.

terrisus

Willing to be a amateur from a dude who reached the peak of his native sport.

I don't think "amateur" means what you think it means in the context of sports.
It means not getting paid for it. It's not like he went to join a beer-league softball team or something

UrokeJoe

More impressed by Bo Jackson because he played both sports competitively at the pro level.
Not more impressed, but impressed! Bo Jackson was amazing.

Basketball Jordan? Give it up until you are either really gray or long dead. He's the man.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Heart warming story, millionaire tries to play a second sport and fails.

Loki

Count of Concision
There was some pro baseball scout or trainer who said that if the strike didn't occur and Jordan kept at baseball, that there was no doubt in his mind that he would have made the pros within another year. His rate of improvement for someone who hadn't touched a baseball since they were an early teen was staggering according to this guy.

In the ESPN 30 for 30 special they touch on this, noting how his performance just kept improving as they months went on, with his last couple of months being very solid.

entremet

I don't think "amateur" means what you think it means in the context of sports.
It means not getting paid for it. It's not like he went to join a beer-league softball team or something

Yeah, I know he was paid. It's AA.

But I'm sure it was nothing compared to his other revenue streams.

There was some pro baseball scout or trainer who said that if the strike didn't occur and Jordan kept at baseball, that there was no doubt in his mind that he would have made the pros within another year. His rate of improvement for someone who hadn't touched a baseball since they were an early teen was staggering according to this guy.

In the ESPN 30 for 30 special they touch on this, noting how his performance just kept improving as they months went on, with his last couple of months being very solid.

His walk rate was apparently impressive.

People forget that even those in the majors cut their teeth in the minors for years. He just needed more time, especially with his determination.

outfield arm so-so from what I remember.
not sure how good he was at judging fly balls.
obviously had trouble weith breaking stuff.
but that famous Jordan work ethic meant he might made it work somehow.

Loki

Count of Concision
His walk rate was apparently impressive.

Yeah, they mention that in this Bleacher Nation article about his baseball stint:

I’m not a basketball fan. I played it when I was a kid, and I follow the sport at the college level and in the NBA with a passing interest. I know enough to speak intelligently about the sport, but probably no more than your average American male. I think that context is probably important for you to have when you see me saying things like that headline up there. I’m a baseball guy. I know baseball. I view the world through the lens of baseball.

So, when it comes to comparing the relative successes of Michael Jordan the basketball player (perhaps the best player ever), and Michael Jordan the baseball player (a scuffling AA outfielder), I probably bring a certain prejudice to the table.

That said, I have thought for years that Jordan’s stint in professional baseball is one of the most impressive feats in all of sports. As he celebrates his 50th birthday, I think it’s worth contextualizing just what he accomplished on the diamond, and underscoring how crazy amazingly talented Jordan must have been.

That Jordan was an all-universe basketball player is, on some level, to be expected. In a population of elite basketball players, a handful of them are going to be “the best.” Indeed, by definition, that happens.

You know what doesn’t happen?

One of those “best” basketball players picks up a bat and can instantly compete with professional baseball players at age 31, when he hasn’t played the sport competitively in over a decade.

No, Jordan’s production in his one year of professional ball wasn’t, on its own merits, impressive: he put up a .202/.289/.266 line over 497 plate appearances at AA. He hit three homers, stole 30 bases (but was thrown out 18 times). He played so-so outfield defense. He was 31.

Still, the walk rate was impressive, especially for a guy just picking up the bat. He didn’t strikeout at an obscene rate, and his batting average was actually better than you might think – the Birmingham Barons’ average that year was just .248. Their park was considered pitcher-friendly.

But let’s set aside the numbers. Let’s grant that they’re terrible, and go as far as to say he would have been one of the worst players in the league. Professional ballplayers – even those at AA – have been honing their craft for years. For all their lives, really. Compared to the general population, the average AA player is Babe Ruth. The best AA players are big league caliber, and the worst AA players are still better than 99.99% of people who’ve ever picked up a baseball.

Michael Jordan, after dedicating himself to basketball for the previous 13 years, picked up a bat and joined that 0.01%. He competed, passably, with some of the best baseball players on Earth, having not played with or against them since he was a teenager (and, even then, what was the talent level against which he was playing?). That’s the kind of accomplishment that is so difficult to contextualize that it is probably massively underappreciated.

I’m sure that what Jordan did on the court was amazing. And it’s a fair guess that what he did in professional basketball may never be duplicated.

But what he did in professional baseball? That’s an even better bet to never be duplicated.

From http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/...eer-is-the-most-impressive-thing-he-ever-did/.

DarkFlow

Banned
Except that it wasn't. He was pretty bad at it, and only got a shot since the same person owned both the Bulls and the White Sox.
Although it is better than Garth Brooks at the Padres' spring training.

Lol I remember Garth, I went to a spring training game while he was there. Oh my was he bad.

Willing to be a amateur from a dude who reached the absolute peak of his native sport--Rookie of the Year, MVPs, Finals MVP, NBA Champion, Olympian.
Also I don't think he was willing, it was rather fishy when it went down, and that it only lasted a year. I think he was on a hush hush suspension for gambling to much.

daycru

Like I said, it's a great story, but the actual feat of being a terrible minor league baseball player wasn't that impressive.

Also he had to do something to fill the time while he waited out Stern's 18 month suspension for gambling.
Being a bad MiLB outfielder still makes him a really good baseball player. With no background in the game.

DarkFlow

Banned
Lol

Didnt Dion sanders do the same thing football and baseball?

No idea what he was supposed to be better at

You have no idea what Prime time was better at, really?

Interceptions 53
INT return yards 1,331
Touchdowns 22
8× Pro Bowl (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999)
8× All-Pro (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999)
2× Super Bowl champion (XXIX, XXX)
AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1994)
2× NFC Defensive Player of the Year (1993, 1994)
NFL Alumni Special Teams Player of the Year (1998)
NFL career record for most defensive touchdowns (19)
Pro Bowl career interceptions record (4)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Atlanta Falcons Ring of Honor
Pro Football Hall of Fame (2011)
College Football Hall of Fame (2011)
Jim Thorpe Award (1988)
Consensus All-American (1987, 1987)

Batting average .263
Hits 558
Home runs 39
Stolen bases 186
Led NL in triples in 1992 with 14

Yeah It's hard to tell...

terrisus

Yeah, I know he was paid. It's AA.

But I'm sure it was nothing compared to his other revenue streams.

Boy, that must have been really tough on him...
I mean, other people have to actually pay money to play in fantasy games like that.

Being a bad MiLB outfielder still makes him a really good baseball player. With no background in the game.

That might be true if he actually earned his way there. He didn't - he got there because he was a star Basketball player playing for the team of the owner who owned the White Sox.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You have no idea what Prime time was better at, really?

Yeah It's hard to tell...

Unfortunately I don't know what half of those things are so I guess I do have difficulty distinguishing. All I know is I have sports cards if him playing baseball and football and I couldn't figure out if they were the same guy or not back in the 90s because no one around knew anything about sports.

SUPREME1

Banned
Not that impressive at all.

He had the money to fulfill some stupid fantasy.
He failed at it.

Where's the amazing part?

Not that impressive at all.

He had the money to fulfill some stupid fantasy.
He failed at it.

Where's the amazing part?

the amazing part is that his fans think that he's considered goat because he's played with the greatest coach in all of sports, the greatest wing player and defender in scottie, the greatest rebounder in rodman, and the best 3pt shooter in steve kerr and a miriad of all-star caliber players around him.

Dr.Acula

Banned
A lot of world class athletes are capable in multiple sports. Jordan was passable in AA ball. That's not really surprising. There are hundreds to stories of teens needing to pick a sport because they're all state in baseball/basketball/football.

the amazing part is that his fans think that he's considered goat because he's played with the greatest coach in all of sports, the greatest wing player and defender in scottie, the greatest rebounder in rodman, and the best 3pt shooter in steve kerr and a miriad of all-star caliber players around him.

They all got Jordan though.

DarkFlow

Banned
kobe plays 1 on 9 basketball
mj played 4 on 9 basketball
you tell me which has the greater fight.

the only thing MJ unlocked was bill wennington's asshole in the locker room.

Kobe runs into Oakley once, and it's all over.

you're not biased at all are you? All of Kobes rings came with what coach again? Oh yeah the same one MJ had, so you can't use that to dismiss MJ while propping up Kobe at the same time. Kobe also had Shaq for 3 of them, and Pau Gasol for the others, so it's not like Kobe is working with a sub par cast here.

But he was significantly worse than the best minor league players who also had an incredible work ethic. Where's their documentary?

Kobe > Jordan, not even a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom