• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
What is GOG? 100% DRM free games of the past and present available for Windows and Mac. Pay a few bucks, download an installer and play!
Past threads: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
JdL0s8j.png
Week 22, 2014
- Where is My Heart? (2014), Action / Puzzle
- Among the Sleep (2014), Adventure / Horror
- SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition (2003), Simulation
- A Story About My Uncle (2014), Adventure
- Paper Sorcerer (2013), RPG​

zXE6nf5.png

XaEB8XI.png

Week 21, 2014
- Chronology (2014), Adventure
- Bad Mojo Redux (2004), Adventure
- Always Sometimes Monsters (2014), Adventure
- Vertical Drop Heroes HD (2014), Action
- Last Door: Collector's Edition, The (2014), Adventure​

Week 20, 2014
- CLARC (2014), Adventure / Puzzle
- Bionic Dues (2013), Strategy
- Ascendant (2014), Action
- Screamer 4x4 (2000), Racing​

Week 19, 2014
- 1849: The Gold Rush (2014), Simulation
- F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0 (1991), Simulation
- RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition (2014), Adventure
- Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure (2014), Adventure​

bh2VZcU.png

llDqfrO.png

RHGtLED.png

Week 18, 2014
- Sir, You Are Being Hunted (2014), Adventure
- Pinball World (1995), Simulation
- Consortium: The Master Edition (2014), Action​
Week 17, 2014
- Dracula 4+5 (2013), Adventure
- Blackwell Epiphany, The (2014), Adventure
- Sudeki (2005), Action
- FRACT OSC (2014), Adventure​
Week 16, 2014
- The Samaritan Paradox (2014), Adventure
- The Last Federation (2014), Strategy
- Redline (1999), Shooter
- Moebius: Empire Rising (2014), Adventure
- BlazBlue Calamity Trigger (2014), Action​
Week 15, 2014
- Journeyman Project 1: Pegasus Prime, The (1997), Adventure
- Risen 2: Dark Waters Gold Edition (2013), Action / RPG
- Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians (2013), Action​
Week 14, 2014
- Broken Age Season Pass (2014), Adventure
- Risen (2009), Action / RPG
- Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe (2013), Action
- Age of Wonders 3: Deluxe Edition (2014), Strategy​
Week 13, 2014
- Unholy Heights (2013), Simulation
- Slave Zero (1999), Shooter
- Ether One (2014), Adventure
- Escape Goat 2 (2014), Action​
Week 12, 2014
- Hitman 3: Contracts (2004), Action
- Stick it to the Man (2013), Action / Adventure
- Luftrausers (2014), Action
- Braveland (2014), Strategy​
Week 11, 2014
- Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender (1992), Adventure
- Journey of a Roach (2013), Adventure
- Windforge (2014), Action
- 1954 Alcatraz (2014), Adventure​
Week 10, 2014
- Harvester (1996), Adventure
- Sword of the Samurai (1989), Action
- Tower of Guns (2014), Shooter​
Week 09, 2014
- The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas (2007), Simulation
- The Guild 2 (2006), Simulation
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall (2014), RPG
- Fractured Soul (2014), Action
- Summoner (2000), Action​
Week 08, 2014
- Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers (2006), Simulation
- Full Spectrum Warrior (2004), Simulation
- Banished (2014), Strategy
- 7th Legion (1997), Strategy
- Doomdark's Revenge (2014), RPG​
Week 07, 2014
- Eschalon: Book III (2014), RPG
- SteamWorld Dig (2013), Action
- Dark Fall 3 - Lost Souls (2009), Adventure
- Downfall (2009), Adventure
- Red Faction 2 (2002), Shooter
- Red Faction (2001), Shooter
- Kentucky Route Zero Season Pass (2013), Adventure​
Week 06, 2014
- Jazzpunk (2014), Adventure
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (2010), Shooter
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (2008), Shooter
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (2007), Shooter
- The Banner Saga (2014), Strategy
- Depths of Peril (2007), Action
- Risk of Rain (2013), Action​
Week 05, 2014
- Octodad: Dadliest Catch (2014), Adventure
- SiN Gold (1998), Shooter
- Deadlock 2: Shrine Wars (1998), Strategy
- Deadlock: Planetary Conquest (1996), Strategy​
Week 04, 2014
- Flatout 2 (2006), Racing
- Silent Service 1+2 (1985), Simulation
- Blackguards Special Edition (2014), RPG
- DROD 1 + 2 + 3 (2005), RPG / Puzzle
- Zombie Shooter 2 (2009), Shooter​
Week 03, 2014
- SpellForce 2: Demons of the Past (2014), Strategy
- Sid Meier's Covert Action (1990), Simulation
- The Ballads of Reemus: When the Bed Bites (2012), Adventure​
Week 02, 2014
- BloodNet (1993), Adventure​

6FZ36pS.png

VEPFi5t.png

MztcO2I.png

Blackwell Epiphany

9N8qebN.png

EczJi9O.png

s8kUOPB.png

ibu084N.png

sX49MEw.png

OK6j5YZ.png

gcmP25D.png

S4xWyBz.png

AZO6v8x.png

ptqHAvm.png

3ZZQBo7.png

XaEB8XI.png

bh2VZcU.png

iuBpT9z.png

OXtvl8P.png

BO1gAtm.png

Xvo6lj7.png

zXE6nf5.png

e01ecZZ.png

3HCDDPK.png

rhMjGGW.png

BhwDw0x.png

zfvUrTM.png

nd3VC5q.png

BcOn205.png

llDqfrO.png

bjork

This year I will actually buy the Ultima games because I want to play them. Also some Sierra stuff. I always forget to check GOG regularly, but I'm going to start.

Let's hope Disney notices their goldmine of Lucasarts titles this year are collecting dust and need to be bought by everyone.

mclem

Last year was too much indies and not enough old games.

Actually, wasn't the quantity of old games - depending on where you place the cutoff, of course - about the same as it has been in previous years? I don't think it's actually *that* far down.

Arthea

Last year steam sales stopped me form buying some games on gog, let's hope this year will be gog's year again!

Rlan

Have GOG ever expressed getting good old console games on their service before? It feels like the sort of thing they'd get into at sone point, and i'm sure sega'd be all over it..

Minsc

Gold Member
We got Wing Commander V, though!

And don't forget Privateer 2! Though some people probably would prefer to, but I still really like it. And we got System Shock 2, Wizardry 8, and quite a few other notable older games.

I think mclem is right, the number of the older games probably didn't decrease too much, just the amount of newer/indie games really, really took off.

Average game releases on GOG have gone up from the first years' 1-2 games a week, to 3-5 games a week, to now it's not uncommon to see over 5 games a week, and most of them are newer games. So for those people who mostly cared about the older, unavailable games, it seems like things have gotten a lot worse, when maybe they haven't changed all that much from when GOG first started if you just remove out all the extra games they release now.

inm8num2

A user at the GOG forum maintains a log of GOG releases. See his thread here.

Direct link to his spreadsheet.

• 2008 had 65 releases, 29 (45%) of which were pre-2K ones.

2009 had 114 releases, 47 (41%) of which were pre-2K ones.

2010 had 79 releases, 35 (44%) of which were pre-2K ones, and 36 (46%) being 10+ years old.(Baldur's Gare 2: Complete being 10+ years old, but not pre-2K)

2011 had 85 releases, 48 (56%) of which were pre-2K ones, 57 (67%) being 10+ years old, and 1 (1%) day one release (The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings)

2012 had 160 releases, 48 (30%) of which were pre-2K ones, 64 (40%) being 10+ years old, and 24 (15%) being day one releases.

2013 had 183 releases, 45 (25%) of which were pre-2K ones, 59 (32%) being 10+ years old, and 52 (28%) being day one releases.

Looks like their release rate for "old games" has been steady, and they've just added releases of newer games in between.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Have GOG ever expressed getting good old console games on their service before? It feels like the sort of thing they'd get into at sone point, and i'm sure sega'd be all over it..

Its funny you say this because that quote from Gog reminded me of what Mobygames hinted at before switching the site from PC only to everything.

wazoo

I do not care about indies on gog, in fact I do not care about new games on gog, their delivery system is not compatible with the need of auto patching that new games require, you need to constantly monitor the web sites to see updates. For old games, things are frozen and that is much easier. Even that, we discover that some versions are changed (like overseer or one pinball recently) without any notice.

We will see what 2014 will give us.

I do not care about indies on gog, in fact I do not care about new games on gog, their delivery system is not compatible with the need of auto patching that new games require, you need to constantly monitor the web sites to see updates. For old games, things are frozen and that is much easier. Even that, we discover that some versions are changed (like overseer or one pinball recently) without any notice.

We will see what 2014 will give us.

I don't care about new indies on gog as well.

Looking at the post a bit above though it doesn't seem to have slowed their release on older things, so I don't particularly mind. If that changes however I can't say I'd be particularly happy. There are still tons of older games that should be released.

inm8num2

Quote from GOG's marketing head, Trevor Longino:

The number of classic titles has, indeed, dropped a bit this year. This is largely in part due to the increased difficulty of signing new classic content. If you like, you can think of our first four years of operation as us gathering the "low-hanging fruit" of our industry. We continue to chase all of the best classics that we can find, but the changing nature of the industry can make this challenging.

We haven't given up on working with anyone out there that you can think of, but it *is* harder to bring those partners on. If we hadn't expanded out into indie games, we very well may be struggling to release two games a week this year, and next year would be worse.

All I can offer is patience. We keep hoping that we'll have a big announcement for you guy soon-ish. Maybe one of these weeks that will actually be true. :)

It's expected that the availability of classic titles they can sign has gone down, as complicating licensing and IP issues make it quite difficult to keep a steady stream of games flowing.

What GOG needs is a big new publisher on board. LucasArts, Take Two, Microsoft, Zenimax, or someone else.

It's expected that the availability of classic titles they can sign has gone down, as complicating licensing and IP issues make it quite difficult to keep a steady stream of games flowing.

What GOG needs is a big new publisher on board. LucasArts, Take Two, Microsoft, Zenimax, or someone else.

I'm going to dream that they were just inches away from signing that LucasArts deal and then the Disney buy snatched it away.

We were so close. Damn you mickey.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Microsoft would be grand, because even after they put out Age HD, there are still games that they have that won't see the light of day otherwise.
Close Combat comes to mind immediately.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This year, I hope to actually play the games I have on GOG. I have like 115 games, and I've played about 20.

As far as stuff I want on GOG... More stuff that came out in the early 2000s. There was a lot of strong action fare back then that we kinda lost as PC games became more and more consolized.

Jawmuncher

Really hope they can get a big company on board to release some classics.
For me that's what GOG is all about. Hate to say it but I don't much care for indies on the platform. Though I know they need something so that releases aren't barren.

Here's hoping they can snag some more classic content. I'm looking at you, LucasArts!

I'd also like to see them diversify to classic content from other computers and maybe even pre-NES consoles and early arcade games.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
One of the main missing developers/publishers is SSI. There are only a few SSI games available on Gog right now. There are like another 50 or so SSI RPG titles alone that currently unavailable anywhere. All of the Gold Box games, the Eye of the Beholder games, Buck Rogers series, Ravenloft series, Dark Sun series, Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.

There is still much, much, more in the old DOS well to draw from. Then there is always the outside chance of doing other computer plaforms.. Atari, Commodore, Amiga. This is an untapped goldmine.

Jawmuncher

I'm personally really only waiting on Darkseed 1 and 2 (Who the hell owns the rights to those) and Jurassic Park Trespasser. I'm sure if someone ask Dreamworks/Universal would let anyone grab that for rerelease.

Ruze789

I don't think I've ever checked out the site, until I saw in the Steam thread that Riddick was on sale. Bought that, and now I'll echo all the sentiments about wishing for some classic LucasArts releases!

SSI, LucasArts, Westwood, Legend Entertainment, a few Sierra, the list is long

Along with Dynamix and the older Microprose games. And it would also be awesome if they could get some classic licensed titles like the old Star Trek games, though the rights for those might be too tangled.

inm8num2

There's still a whole bounty of Sierra titles that have yet to be released. I sometimes wonder if GOG is sitting on those for moments when they don't have other new contracts, or if Activision is being fussy with releasing more of that older catalog.

Part of me is hoping for a Steam-like client. Would gona long way for ease of use, installation and organization. That said, I think this was debunked by GOG earlier last year, right?

terrisus

Last year was too much indies and not enough old games.

This.

I told them in their survey a year ago that I didn't mind them focusing on newer stuff as well, as long as they continued the same strength of the older games which are why I go there.
This past year has been kind of disappointing (yes, they have still continued to add more old stuff, but I can't help feel like it could have been even more without so much focus on indies and newer games)

Lime

I'm hoping for another great year for GOG. They are definitely the best DD service out there, imo.

inm8num2

An optional Desura-like client would go a long ways for GOG.

Their patching for newer games with large installer sizes can be cumbersome when you have to redownload them. Having a patcher/updating utility would make that process more smooth, and it might make people more willing to buy newer games there.

Hellers

One of the main missing developers/publishers is SSI. There are only a few SSI games available on Gog right now. There are like another 50 or so SSI RPG titles alone that currently unavailable anywhere. All of the Gold Box games, the Eye of the Beholder games, Buck Rogers series, Ravenloft series, Dark Sun series, Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.

There is still much, much, more in the old DOS well to draw from. Then there is always the outside chance of doing other computer plaforms.. Atari, Commodore, Amiga. This is an untapped goldmine.

I would buy the shit out of the SSI RPG back catalogue. Agreed about other formats too. I'm hoping they're working on this.

CMDBob

Along with Dynamix and the older Microprose games. And it would also be awesome if they could get some classic licensed titles like the old Star Trek games, though the rights for those might be too tangled.

I'd be totally down for that, would love a lot of the old Star Trek games (oh man, a good Klingon Academy and Starfleet Command release would make my day).

bender

What time is it?
My biggest hopes are MechWarrior 2 & 3 and the NOLF games. I doubt we will see them.

I don't mind newer games being released on the platform. GoG is my preferred digital distribution service. Patching could be better but I'm sure that's something they are thinking about. Bring on Witcher 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom