• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screens from XBLA Hoopworld (56k bad)

element

My pals over at Streamline Studios are making this game for XBLA. The game uses UE3, but these shots might not be from a newer build. Looks nice. I guess it is like an NBA Jam-ish type basketball game.

desktop_a_1024.jpg

desktop_i_1024.jpg

desktop_f_1024.jpg

desktop_b_1024.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Looks GREAT.

Link to the site: http://www.hoopworldgame.com/

Link to an interivew: http://articles.gaminghorizon.com/media/1132809419.67.html

Hector Fernandez said:
HoopWorld is a three-on-three multiplayer trick game that rewards gamers for playing competitively, cooperatively, and creatively. What that basically means is that the more show-boating, ass kicking, and tactics you perform as a team, the more points you earn. HoopWorld’s game mechanics emphasize team based tricking. Gamers are rewarded for both their individual and joined skills. Essentially, the more you play with others, and the better the tricks you make, the higher your team scores, regardless of whether or not you have the ball. In HoopWorld, gamers have the ability to battle-it-out “old-school arcade style” while simultaneously earning points for victory. Movement, tricks, and attacks are all one and the same. For instance, the other day, I ran across a wall, flipped off it, threw a Red Hot Shot at an enemy, went into a dunk, and caught the ball off the rebound and took it to the hole with an Alley-Oop. This isn’t scripted. It’s something the control system naturally allows. We call this BASKETBRAWLING!

We’ve evolved the locations from typical indoor / outdoor basketball courts to over-the-top interactive locations that complement the gamer’s tricking arsenal. The court shapes reflect parts of platform gamming, taking inspiration from Mario 64’s controls and le Parkour’s flowing movement. “Move Enhancing Items” (MEIs) are thrown into the mix, so that players can customize their team’s abilities and give their own unique flavor to the game play. MEIs range from fire-gauntlets, (imagine throwing fire-balls from your fists!) to Devil’s wings, (150 foot Ally-Oops!). We leave it open for gamers to decide how to best combine the MEIs together to fit their own personal playing styles.

Looks like the island all the Pokemon are left at in the short movie before Mewtwo's Revenge.

Okay how the FUCK did I think of that? o_O....Have I even SEEN Mewtwo's Revenge?!

Mr Jared

LakeEarth said:
I've asked before, but any word on how much these "advanced" XBLA games will be?

1200 points says the official site. Though something like this seems worth it, as opposed to say Backshot Billiards.

dorio

Banned
Wow, seems like the 360 is getting more xbla games than regular games. I want to see this in motion.

jedimike

It does look good. XBLA has restored my faith in gaming. Sometimes the huge budget games just lose their appeal. Maybe I'm just looking for a change of pace... I rented CoD2 the other night and I played it for about half an hour and went back to playing my XBLA games.

I found myself doing that with a lot of Xbox games as well. I bought a ton of games and would hardly play them. I can't put my finger on what is happening. It just seems like epic games are too much work and the arcade games are more fun.

dorio

Banned
jedimike said:
I'm not grasping what the game is about either, but it does look good. XBLA has restored my faith in gaming. Sometimes the huge budget games just lose their appeal. Maybe I'm just looking for a change of pace... I rented CoD2 the other night and I played it for about half an hour and went back to playing my XBLA games.

I found myself doing that with a lot of Xbox games as well. I bought a ton of games and would hardly play them. I can't put my finger on what is happening. It just seems like epic games are too much work and the arcade games are more fun.
Yep, it's nice to have a pick up and play game that doesn't require a huge time and brain energy investment.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Redbeard said:
Isn't UE3 a little expensive to be licensing for a XBLA game?
That what some of us assumed but it seems like Epic already has a indie license cost aside from the usual 1 million for the big developers. This makes two games for XBLA that use UE3, this bodes very well for XBLA.

puebla

xbla is going to be incredible.

that's just beautiful, i didn't really expect this type of graphics for the arcade games.

jedimike

I would think that they qualify for a different pricing tier than the average developer. Who knows how these things work... maybe MS has a sub-licensing agreement for developers of XBLA.

raYne

VALIS said:
Look in the last shot, against the nets on either side of the rock island you see see backboards and hoops.

hoop7lg.jpg
*blinks* I see..

olimario said:
Looks better than Kameo.
You never fail to lower my faith in humanity with every post. Well done.

dorio

Banned
olimario said:
It has a better, more unified style than Kameo. It's also nice and clean.
I quite like what they've done.
Unified style? Of course, it's showing only one level and Kameo is nice and clean.

FightyF

Banned
Looks great!

But I really wonder how the economics of this will work. I'm guessing the budget for this game wasn't that high, outside the UE 3.0 licensing fees, which I gather are real high.

And this game is being released for nearly free (cost is 1200 points), isn't it?

How easy/cheap is it for an independent developer to obtain a UE 3.0 license for strictly XBLA use? That would be awesome if it was cheap, as that would mean a lot of independent developers could have a crack at making high quality, nearly free games and have it distributed to a large audience.

You probably can't say much, element, but I'd love it if you could shed a bit more light on this!

sangreal

Looks great! Too bad it isnt coming out till Spring '06

Fight for Freeform said:
And this game is being released for nearly free (cost is 1200 points), isn't it?

I wouldn't call $15 "nearly free," personally. It is a reasonable price for a high quality game (read: not bankshot billiards) though

FightyF

Banned
sangreal said:
Looks great! Too bad it isnt coming out till Spring '06

I wouldn't call $15 "nearly free," personally. It is a reasonable price for a high quality game (read: not bankshot billiards) though

Oh I totally miscalculated, I had the impression that it was around $5.

Still, that's cheap for a game based on an engine which costs quite a bit. UE 2.0 costs $250,000 with 3% royalty and $750,000 royalty free.

UE 3.0 must cost the same if not more. I'm betting on far more. :p

sangreal

VisionaryQuest0 said:
So is this a multi-tiered basketball game? Meaning it isn't just a straight run left to right?

The interview talks about a big aspect of the game is mastering the levels, so that would seem to be the case.

I guess online multiplayer is a given..?

Yes

Damn, the concept is very reminscent of that Bouncers SCD game. Weird. Looks very nice, almost too nice. Now I want to see that 1on1 Japanese basketball/action game updated for XBLA. I loved that fucked up game.

Top Bottom