• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS : hackers found a way to get rid of region-locking

L~A

Just saw this on Twitter :

This new trick enables you to play a legit imported cartridge on your system. Again, this is not for piracy whatsoever and it does not play ROMs, just retail games.

Like most 3DS hacks lately, you need a 3DS with v4.5 firmware or older, so if you have updated your portable in the last nine months, you’re out of luck. By using a DS or 3DS flashcard compatible with the legacy firmware, you can run a special patched launcher file that modifies your system to load cartridges from other regions. You can even install more recent firmware afterward to play imported games that require it (with a few caveats for online play that might require game patches from region-specific eShops).

Short story : you take a flashcard compatible with the 3DS 4.5 Firmware, you put a special file on it. It then modifies the game launcher, allowing you to use cartridges from a different region than your console's. Apparently, you can also update the firmware once you've used the hack to get rid of region-free

More info at this link. Source (Tiny Cartridge).

NB : this is not for pirated game, it's for legally purchased game. You don't download any game, you just use your regular game cartridges. Becareful though, because it modifies your system, which means you can potentially brick your console or get locked out our some online games.

Set my region to "Lock land" if old. I'm not sure if the link is ok, but please remove it if it's not.

Frolow

Banned
Like most 3DS hacks lately, you need a 3DS with v4.5 firmware or older, so if you have updated your portable in the last nine months, you’re out of luck.
There's the kicker.

Well, it's progress...
Really happy about more people getting to play some of 3DS's awesome imports in the near future. There's a lot of good stuff.

It's such a fucking bummer that it has to come to this, though.

Danneee

So the regular user who buys stuff on the eShop is out of luck, as usual.

I guess you can't access eShops in other regions with this?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm amazed that we're approaching three years since 3DS launched, and the console still is piracy free. Heck, even this hack allows to play only retail, original titles.

Zabant

I just wish smart dudes would bust the 3ds open. I have legit fears games like ace attorney dual destinies will be unaccessible to anyone 5 years from now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wait...its that easy ? Damn i need to get me an non updated 3DS :-/

With witch firmare did the first PAL XL consoles ship ?

sirap

I'm amazed that we're approaching three years since 3DS launched, and the console still is piracy free. Heck, even this hack allows to play only retail, original titles.

what? piracy has been available for quite some time now.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Like most 3DS hacks lately, you need a 3DS with v4.5 firmware or older, so if you have updated your portable in the last nine months, you’re out of luck.

Be careful though, because it modifies your system, which means you can potentially brick your console or get locked out our some online games.

Hmm it properly would be easier for me just to import a US 2DS and a cheap Japanese 3DS.

I would rather not mess about with my 3DS.

Even if it doesn't work for the newest firmware, it's a good sign that they've got something working already, hopefully they'll catch up to the current firmware soon I'd love to import me some 3DS games from Japan without buying a Japanese 3DS

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Which is great, it means I don't have to feel bad about pirating or aiding piracy spread by supporting this. (I have no personal issues with modding).

vareon

Too many risks for me to try, though.

Can this fact be used in the End Region Lock campaign? Still don't understand why Nintendo is so hell bent on this, even if I don't play JP or EU games.

That's cool, I guess.

But if I need to buy a new 3DS to use this anyway since I've updated my current one, and I have to buy a flash card... I'd probably rather just import a 3DS from Japan.

Need a solution that doesn't involve buying a new system.

Oregano

So it gets rid of region lock but doesn't necessariky enable piracy.

iamokaywiththis.jpg

Probably will never use it myself, my firmware is fully up to date, but it is nice for people who want it.

Hmmm. my old zelda LE 3DS may have an earlier firmware then that.

May have to check this out. Can't think of more then a handful of games that were released in the states but not europe that I'd want though

Scum

So this means the region locking "feature" is firmware related? Something that can be patched out, right?

Petrie

Banned
This is why I never updated the spare original 3DS I traded for a few months ago. Sitting pretty on v4.3. Hell yeah.

Het_Nkik

no thanks. i'd be too risky or uncomfortable to avoid new firmware updates

It says you can upgrade the firmware no problem once it's installed.

I already gave in and imported a Japanese 3DS, but it's nice for those who don't want to/can't afford to.

Joqu

That's great. Too bad about the firmware thing as I won't be able to use this, but it's good news either way.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Stinks that you have to have the older firmware. Hopefully they find a method for people with the latest firmware, but who knows how long that will take.

-Horizon-

If only Nintendo would actually drop region locking. I mean if Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with it on both their consoles then I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same.

Top Bottom