• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Diverted PS4 Shipment to Important Markets in 2013

noobie

Banned
I was reading this news item on the launch of PS4 in UAE and in it they stated that

According to Nadeem Khanzadah, head of retail at Jumbo Electronics, Sony was supposed to supply the second shipment on December 23 or 24 and another shipment in the middle of Dubai Shopping Festival.

The Christmas shipment did not materialize as Sony released more consoles in the US and European markets for Christmas.

So it look like Sony may have launched in 53 countries but apart from few countries other have got a very little supply. Probably bottom 20 - 30 countries in the priority list may not have received more than 200k

Link is below.

Second PS4 shipments in UAE by next week

Wynnebeck

Banned
I know other countries might get mad, but in the end:

12334511_ori.jpg

A.Romero

Ironically here in Mexico is easy to find one. Every store has them available. I guess they didn't do such a good job estimating.

Theman2k

Its not even launched here either.
We will see the launch around the 24 of this month.
Close to the japenese launch, and as of now the shipment is a joke.
Something like a few houndred units. :(

Wheres my playstation 4???

samman6

Same situation here in CZ the launch was on Dec 13th and the 2nd shipment still has yet to come. Luckily I got mine on launch. PS4 situation still better then Xbox though which doesn't even have a release date yet here.

RdN

Well, we all know that Sony spread itself way too thin.. Ended up being a paper launch on most of the markets.

But, demand is still there, so it's no problem.

I've yet to see a single PS4 in the wild anywhere in Sydney. Apparenly the next shipment is due next month, and those will probably continue to cover existing pre-orders from last year. =\

In Colombia, all Sony and major stores should get new shipments until mid to late february, though you can easily buy a PS4 from other channels, mostly legal btw. Don't know how many units were sent here (very few probably) but it sold out pretty fast.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So it look like Sony may have launched in 53 countries but apart from few countries other have got a very little supply. Probably bottom 20 - 30 countries in the priority list may not have received more than 200k]

What? I thought it was like 28.

Launched in india on the 6th but i dont think they supplied more than 1-2k here. Still a few available thanks to the insane pricing.

Jonnyram

This, combined with the lack of Japanese titles ready right now, is why the machine isn't out in Japan yet. It makes total business sense, though it is hard to swallow for people living in the region.

noobie

Banned
What? I thought it was like 28.

Its over 53.. List is Below

NOV 15
CANADA
UNITED STATES

NOV 29
ARGENTINA
AUSTRALIA
AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
BRAZIL
CHILE
COLOMBIA
COSTA RICA
DENMARK
EL SALVADOR
FINLAND
FRANCE
GERMANY
GUATEMALA
IRELAND
ITALY
LUXEMBOURG
MEXICO
NETHERLANDS
NEW ZEALAND
NORWAY
PANAMA
PERU
POLAND
PORTUGAL
RUSSIA
SPAIN
SWEDEN
SWITZERLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

DEC 13
BAHRAIN
BOLIVIA
CZECH REPUBLIC
GREECE
HUNGARY
KUWAIT
NICARAGUA
OMAN
PARAGUAY
QATAR
SAUDI ARABIA
SLOVAKIA
SOUTH AFRICA
TURKEY
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
URUGUAY

DEC 17
HONG KONG
SOUTH KOREA

DEC 18
TAIWAN

DEC 19
SINGAPORE

DEC 20
MALAYSIA

OUTSIDE THE REPORTING WINDOW.

JAN 6
INDIA

JAN 9
INDONESIA

JAN 14
PHILIPPINES
THAILAND

FEB 22
JAPAN

XXX XX
VIETNAM

saunderez

Completely explains why I've never even seen a PS4 on shelves here is Australia. I think preorders were filled in the mid December shipment because a friend got his then but I'm yet to see one in any of our major retailers.

NOV 15
CANADA
UNITED STATES

NO 29
ARGENTINA
AUSTRALIA
AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
BRAZIL
CHILE
COLOMBIA
COSTA RICA
DENMARK
EL SALVADOR
FINLAND
FRANCE
GERMANY
GUATEMALA
IRELAND
ITALY
LUXEMBOURG
MEXICO
NETHERLANDS
NEW ZEALAND
NORWAY
PANAMA
PERU
POLAND
PORTUGAL
RUSSIA
SPAIN
SWEDEN
SWITZERLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

DEC 13
BAHRAIN
BOLIVIA
CZECH REPUBLIC
GREECE
HUNGARY
KUWAIT
NICARAGUA
OMAN
PARAGUAY
PHILIPPINES
QATAR
SAUDI ARABIA
SLOVAKIA
SOUTH AFRICA
THAILAND
TURKEY
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
URUGUAY

DEC 17
HONG KONG
SOUTH KOREA

DEC 19
SINGAPORE

JAN 6
INDIA

Daamn! going for that domination!

MSMrRound

When the PS4 launched in Singapore, I had a friend working at a local game retailer telling me that they were selling about 400+ PS4s daily.

Right now, it's hard to find one anywhere over here. Even some of the local retailers had to resort to importing the PS4 from other countries.

The PSVita TV will be launching here on the 14th of January, which is a pretty nice timing, considering that Chinese New Year is coming and stuff (Sony Singapore is after that red packet money...)

No offense to anyone out there, but cutting MS off in their largest markets could pay large dividends later on for Sony. Since MS presence around the world isn't exactly all that impressive and Nintendo's is currently nonexistent... seeking parity if not outright dominance in MS stronghold markets seems like a smart play.

noobie

Banned
When the PS4 launched in Singapore, I had a friend working at a local game retailer telling me that they were selling about 400+ PS4s daily.

Right now, it's hard to find one anywhere over here. Even some of the local retailers had to resort to importing the PS4 from other countries.

The PSVita TV will be launching here on the 14th of January, which is a pretty nice timing, considering that Chinese New Year is coming and stuff (Sony Singapore is after that red packet money...)

How many days PS4 remained in stock?

Minions

It really doesn't seem like they did that. Can't find a PS4 anywhere in the US

They did, there have been consistent restocks at Amazon/Best Buy and even Target on many weekends. They just can't get anywhere close to the demand. It will be mid year before they catch up probably. My friend ordered a PS4 from amazon on Sunday night to be delivered today or tomorrow. Just gotta keep an eye on it.

As they should. No point in sending PS4s to the emerging markets yet. That said, why in Australia so low on the list when we're richer that most countries?

No offense to anyone out there, but cutting MS off in their largest markets could pay large dividends later on for Sony. Since MS presence around the world isn't exactly all that impressive and Nintendo's is currently nonexistent... seeking parity if not outright dominance in MS stronghold markets seems like a smart play.
Yup. Send those troops to the battlegrounds. No sense sending too many units to countries where XBone's appeal is near zero. Sony can scoop those countries up once the war has been decided.

Blearth

Banned

NOV 15
CANADA
UNITED STATES

NOV 29
ARGENTINA
AUSTRALIA
AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
BRAZIL
CHILE
COLOMBIA
COSTA RICA
DENMARK
EL SALVADOR
FINLAND
FRANCE
GERMANY
GUATEMALA
IRELAND
ITALY
LUXEMBOURG
MEXICO
NETHERLANDS
NEW ZEALAND
NORWAY
PANAMA
PERU
POLAND
PORTUGAL
RUSSIA
SPAIN
SWEDEN
SWITZERLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

DEC 13
BAHRAIN
BOLIVIA
CZECH REPUBLIC
GREECE
HUNGARY
KUWAIT
NICARAGUA
OMAN
PARAGUAY
QATAR
SAUDI ARABIA
SLOVAKIA
SOUTH AFRICA
TURKEY
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
URUGUAY

DEC 17
HONG KONG
SOUTH KOREA

DEC 18
TAIWAN

DEC 19
SINGAPORE

DEC 20
MALAYSIA

JAN 6
INDIA

JAN 9
INDONESIA

JAN 14
PHILIPPINES
THAILAND

FEB 22
JAPAN

XXX XX
VIETNAM
It's so cool how international gaming has become.

How long before we see big name titles come from outside the west and Japan?

Melchiah

Is it really a launch if a country only got sub 100k units? Lol

Depends on the country; Finland, population 5,4 million, 5000 PS2s at launch.

EDIT: I had mine pre-ordered back then as well. Some store chains took an advantage of the situation, and sold PS2s with a much higher price.

MSMrRound

How many days PS4 remained in stock?

Many of those were pre-ordered stocks. From Dec 21 onwards, I don't think I saw one in the wild until some of the retailers reached out to their supplier partners to bring some PS4s in via import (of course, some of these are slightly more expensive than the original suggested retail price of SGD$639.)

For me personally, I mean I'm interested in a PS4, but I'm definitely going to hold off for now...unless there's a localized version of Valkyria Chronicles 4 confirmed for PS4 or something...

Absolutely right, it's a smart/obvious business ploy and may explain why boxes were coming in on flights instead of ships as they made last minute tactical competitive moves. It's a great play by Sony.

It also does make their "worldwide launch" a bit of an empty marketing statement IMO, but I don't think that's a big deal.

As they should. No point in sending PS4s to the emerging markets yet. That said, why in Australia so low on the list when we're richer that most countries?

Actually, because of exchange rates, they probably make more money off the sale of the PS4 hardware in many of these other markets than they do in the US (as for the UK, it's probably a toss-up). Selling those systems for those countries would be better in the short term, but more than likely consoles sold in the top markets would have a higher attach rate and buy more peripherals than the consoles sold in other markets.

madp0k

Is it really a launch if a country only got sub 100k units? Lol

Surely going by your way of thinking, ms launched in less than 13 countries then due to US taking 2m+ and UK 300K+ ? and obviously no way taking a countries size into consideration. Nice.

Top Bottom