• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Basement Crawl (PS4) coming out on Jan 29th for EU; NA - "Soon" :/

viveks86

New news = ?

It was revealed today that Bloober Team’s PS4 Exclusive “Basement Crawl” will be released in Europe in January 29. That’s next week for those keeping score. Unfortunately, there is no North American date at this time, but it will be announced soon and also be soon.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/23/ps4-exclusive-basement-crawl-set-for-next-week/71144/

UPDATE - Jan 29th:

I understand when versions of games slated for different hardware (i.e. multiplatform titles) sometimes have different release dates, or when a game that might have some content that runs afoul of a particular region's censors hits release delays, but when games like War Thunder and now Basement Crawl are releasing EU first with no solid date for NA, I'm just left scratching my head.

Somebody with more insight into the QA and approval process want to chime in?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I understand when versions of games slated for different hardware (i.e. multiplatform titles) sometimes have different release dates, or when a game that might have some content that runs afoul of a particular region's censors hits release delays, but when games like War Thunder and now Basement Crawl are releasing EU first with no solid date for NA, I'm just left scratching my head.

Somebody with more insight into the QA and approval process want to chime in?

There is a whole different certification process for the NA region. A different office, a different set of rules given the different rating systems that need to be adhered to. The EU region also generally has a lot more languages that need to be put through testing, so in general EU releases are the ones that get delayed.

I definitely think they need to streamline this process much better, but it's a case of the same people in charge who have been doing the same thing for years, and they don't want to change.

OneUh8

Man I want this here in NA. Bomerman was a fun game to play with friends. So I am sure I will like this game a bunch. Local 4 player co-op sounds awesome and 8 player online multiplayer!

Amir0x

Banned
Agreed. Where's my war thunder?

I don't know, but if I were Sony, i'd re-evaluate my priorities for North America. It's now THE battleground country, and Sony has an early lead (and will win the gen there, as far as I can guess). But I think with the amount of ways Sony has changed their behavior for the better with PS4, they could have seriously changed who is in charge of this stuff for NA and have better goals for that whole team. It's ridiculous how superior and consistent Europe Sony is than North American Sony*. And I haven't seen an explanation yet as to why this should be. Does anyone know?

although maybe Europe deserves this treatment for how often they get shafted on things

It's not a drought yet, but damn North American Sony continues to be daft as fuck into the PS4 gen.

Last night I was like Oh snap, it's Tuesday, let's see what new games they have in the store.

There was no new games in the store. I have monies and I want to spend. Why Sony? You are shutting up, but you don't want to take my money.

Are there any AAA games with a set release in February? If not, we might be seeing Infamous as the way out of the launch quarter blues. It was good to see it as a pre-order, so I have something to look forward to.

Drencrom

Why is it so fucking dark? Shouldn't games like this have a clear and unobtrusive artstyle so that it's easy to see what's going on? For real, I have a hard time seeing the players.

Edit: nvm, it's just an odd gameplay video

Amir0x

Banned
Last night I was like Oh snap, it's Tuesday, let's see what new games they have in the store.

There was no new games in the store. I have monies and I want to spend. Why Sony? You are shutting up, but you don't want to take my money.

Are there any AAA games with a set release in February? If not, we might be seeing Infamous as the way out of the launch quarter blues. It was good to see it as a pre-order, so I have something to look forward to.

Thief, Rayman Legends, Lego the Movie game for February iirc.

And of course there will be lots of indie games in between then, just not sure which ones. I don't really care which is AAA or not personally, just what plays well. But I suspect Thief will be the PS4 game people get for that month.

For indies, we got Outlast, we MAY get Secret Ponchos, Road Not Taken perhaps, Mercenary Kings maybe, and we still might get Basement Crawl in February

Thief, Rayman Legends, Lego the Movie game for February iirc.

And of course there will be lots of indie games in between then, just not sure which ones. I don't really care which is AAA or not personally, just what plays well. But I suspect Thief will be the PS4 game people get for that month.

For indies, we got Outlast, we MAY get Secret Ponchos, Road Not Taken perhaps, Mercenary Kings maybe, and we still might get Basement Crawl in February

That's probably what I should have said. If the game is good and has some replay value, it won't matter if it was an indie or not, but for a console that was released in November, I would have expected more games to be released since then.

I blame WatchDogs and Drive Club.

Krakn3Dfx

Could the delay have anything to do with Microsoft's release parity requirement? Just curious, seeing them mention "exciting new opportunities" sets off my conspiracy theory radar.

viveks86

Could the delay have anything to do with Microsoft's release parity requirement? Just curious, seeing them mention "exciting new opportunities" sets off my conspiracy theory radar.

This is a PS4 exclusive.

Basement Crawl is a PS4 exclusive that allows you to play locally with friends, a feature that hasn’t been especially prevalent in games lately. Basement Crawl brings together retro gameplay, modern mechanics and grindhouse horror to create a completely addictive experience.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/17/basement-crawl-blasting-onto-ps4/

ReaperXL7

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that the game was up on the store last night when I checked. It was not in the main selection though I had to go to the New games section, then go all the way to the right to the "see more New games" link and then it was the first game in that list.

I don't think I even clicked on it though as the trailer did not do much for me. I would have much rather gotten something like Mercanary Kings, Galak Z, or FEZ

Edit* it also shows up under the Jew games section for PS4 on the webstore

I was ready to buy Basement Crawl yesterday because I assumed it was coming out. I even went into the store and was ready to buy buy buy. Release the damn game so I can buy buy buy.

I don't even know if it's any good or not.

Amir0x

Banned
That's probably what I should have said. If the game is good and has some replay value, it won't matter if it was an indie or not, but for a console that was released in November, I would have expected more games to be released since then.

I blame WatchDogs and Drive Club.

This is pretty typical for consoles, and it only got worse since HD game development takes more time than development of games from past gens.

IF things stay on track now and we start getting the game releases picking up from March onward, nobody will remember these few slow months (since it'll really only be January and February that were slow). If however more things get delayed and Sony doesn't get on the ball with their own first party releases, it'll be something people remember, like how atrocious the Wii U drought was until August.

It all depends on what happens now.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Don't like the use of colors/lighting. Looks like a cheap Bomberman clone, but with none of it's charm.

viveks86

HonMirin

It looks like Bomberman with a Loaded graphical style

I agree with this.

Looks ok, but I would really, really love a Bomberman for PS4. Bomberman Ultra still gets play on my PS3, such a great game with friends and family.

I wouldn't say no to a new Loaded either.

Top Bottom