• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness will support Valve's VR system

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Jonathan Blow spent some time at Valve recently working with their engineers:

http://the-witness.net/news/2014/01/what-that-vr-post-was-about/

Teaser image from a couple of months ago:
S5fGBVM.jpg

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Oh gawd. Now I have to decide if I play at launch on PS4 or wait till I can experience it for the first time using VR.

Cartman86

Banned
Lol Valves weird non commitments have made this whole thing funny. Blow acts as if they have announced a real thing. He talks about he has actually gone up to Valve to work on this so it seems like Valve actually is making something? He also says he will support other similar VR though. Also he acts as if he has the HMD or at least took that photo while at Valve hands on with it.

Exuro

The ones at Valve Dev Days were just Occulus Rifts, Valve has invested a significant amount in that operation.
Why would Luckey say Valve's headset is better than their's if they just use oculus rifts? The behind the scenes demo was used with Valve's own r&d headset for future consumer vr products.

Qassim

Lol Valves weird non commitments have made this whole thing funny. Blow acts as if they have announced a real thing. He talks about he has actually gone up to Valve to work on this so it seems like Valve actually is making something? He also says he will support other similar VR though. Also he acts as if he has the HMD or at least took that photo while at Valve hands on with it.

They have announced a real thing, I'm not sure what you mean. The Steamworks VR API seems pretty real.

Pretty sure he's talking about the SteamWorks VR API. Valve isn't planning to release their own HMD. Still, glad that the API is already in some devs hands.

Qassim

A real headset/tracking system?

No - but I'm not sure why they need to have announced that specific thing for their Steamworks VR API to be real. The Witness will probably be written to use this - and it'll work with any hardware that supports that API.

Grief.exe

Why would Luckey say Valve's headset is better than their's if they just use oculus rifts?

This is completely out of context for me since I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to.

But the ones at Steam Dev Days were the latest development models, possibly the ones Luckey tried were from consumer shows in late 2013.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy WOW this is a VR killer app right here.

coldcrush

Neo Member
this will be for sony's vr system, not valves, The reported HMZ is not their PS4 VR, that is being developed by sony playstation, the The HMZ is from a different division of sony and is aimed at movies like the earlier iterations of the HMZ, the ps4 VR will be very similar to Oculus release version and will probably support games such as this.

Exuro

This is completely out of context for me since I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to.

But the ones at Steam Dev Days were the latest development models, possibly the ones Luckey tried were from consumer shows in late 2013.
The behind the scenes vr tech demo they were showing off.

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/...es-vr-tech-demo-as-the-best-at-steam-dev-days

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey "says Valve's VR tech is the best virtual reality demo in the world right now",

That would be pretty silly for him to say if it was just an oculus rift device. They have their own tech that they share with Oculus. What's interesting from the article is that Blow talks about making The Witness with Valve tech even though Valve has stated they have no plans of commercializing their tech.

this will be for sony's vr system, not valves, The reported HMZ is not their PS4 VR, that is being developed by sony playstation, the The HMZ is from a different division of sony and is aimed at movies like the earlier iterations of the HMZ, the ps4 VR will be very similar to Oculus release version and will probably support games such as this.

so did you like

read the link or anything

Cartman86

Banned
No - but I'm not sure why they need to have announced that specific thing for their actual VR system to be real (the VR system being an API that Oculus and other vendors can hook into).

The way Valve talked about all this made it sound like they were not making VR hardware. They had amazing future prototypes but that was to demonstrate where VR will go. The API was simply to standardize it all for any VR solution you choose (Oculus being the main one). Sure in the future they might make hardware or partner more with someone but the way Blow speaks it sounds like he's designing with a real piece of hardware. Seems likely to me that this isn't actually "Valve". He's using the Valve API but the headset that will be out and good enough will be the Rift.

Grief.exe

The behind the scenes vr tech demo they were showing off.

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/...es-vr-tech-demo-as-the-best-at-steam-dev-days

That would be pretty silly for him to say if it was just an oculus rift device. They have their own tech that they share with Oculus. What's interesting from the article is that Blow talks about making The Witness with Valve tech even though Valve has stated they have no plans of commercializing their tech.

Really a lot of conflicting info here.

rjinaz

Do you have a source for any of this? Because as far as I know, there have been nothing but vague rumors about Playstation VR, but you talk like you know.

Perkel

Banned

Yeah, it is just a rumor. Sony doing VR that is.

Kinthalis

Banned
Valve has been making prototype ahrdware for a while now, hardware that is better at VR "presence" than the Oculus Rift currently is... however, they are both collaborating and the Rift will eventaly match or surpass the specs that Valve thinks will truly support "presence".

The PS4 Vr, if there is one, is almsot certinaly NOT goign to match the specs of these PC VR sets, if only because the PS4 is unliely to be able to drive them.

Not really.

Valve has made an internal VR prototype that is what they expect VR to made in a few years. They demonstrated that during their Dev Days.

Oculus people tried it out, and the CEO said it was the best VR experience ever.

Valve has also made a VR API, and will be sharing VR tech with Oculus.

YuShtink

Not really.

Valve has made an internal VR prototype that is what they expect VR to made in a few years. They demonstrated that during their Dev Days.

Oculus people tried it out, and the CEO said it was the best VR experience ever.

Valve has also made a VR API, and will be sharing VR tech with Oculus.

He also has just said that the consumer version of the Oculus Rift will, except for the freedom of walking around, be equal to or superior to Valve's prototype in performance.

I would really like to play The Witness six months ago. I am beginning to feel quite apathetic about the game when I read they're putting time into £300 peripherals that could be a post launch patch.
2009 said:
the multiplatform game is aiming for a late 2011 release.

coldcrush

Neo Member
so did you like

read the link or anything

hah,, no,,,I took the OP as a TLDR of the article.. fair cop :)
, although what I say still stands, if the Witness will support VR pc through the oculus (that valve have helped with), then the PS4 vr will be similar. The HMZ headset is not sony's PS4 vr gaming device.

I would really like to play The Witness six months ago. I am beginning to feel quite apathetic about the game when I read they're putting time into £300 peripherals that could be a post launch patch.
They've never announced a release date you know... Besides, this kind of stuff isn't that much work.

NoPiece

There isn't a lot of conflicting info, but it is confusing.

Valve has a product, but it is not VR hardware.

Valve has VR hardware, but it is not a product.

Valve is building an API so any VR headset can be used for any game that supports the Valve API. They are separately playing with VR headsets to help push the market forward, and to have something to test their API with.

Indie devs getting excited and supporting VR is awesome, and bodes well for the technology.

jediyoshi

Sure in the future they might make hardware or partner more with someone but the way Blow speaks it sounds like he's designing with a real piece of hardware. Seems likely to me that this isn't actually "Valve". He's using the Valve API but the headset that will be out and good enough will be the Rift.

No he doesn't. Their API is literally called ValveVR (renamed from OpenVR).

viveks86

"So, we will be supporting this device (and any similar devices) with The Witness. But I am really looking forward to see what gets designed specifically for devices like this."

Yeah I did notice that. But I was hoping it was a direct tease. Now we are all just left to read between the lines. What if Sony just has some R&D prototypes like valve and is nowhere near a commercially viable model? :'(

I'm confused, is Valve putting out a VR device or not? JBlow's post makes it sounds like they will have a device. And of course this will have occulus rift support.

viveks86

I'm confused, is Valve putting out a VR device or not? JBlow's post makes it sounds like they will have a device. And of course this will have occulus rift support.

They will, in a year! :/

feasiblehmd_2015_630pxbodyimg.jpg

EDIT: Yeah there is the possibility that they wouldn't release one on their own but work with partners. But that's not how JBlow's post comes across. I'm confused too!

YuShtink

Valve is NOT putting out a VR headset. At least not anytime soon. They are creating a software ecosystem for VR, but have all but passed on their hardware torch to Oculus and any other company that wants to make a quality VR headset.

It's the same thing they are doing with Steam Machines. They control the software ecosystem, they let any and all manufacturers step up and make the hardware themselves. Valve doesn't really WANT to work with hardware. They're only doing the Steam controller because they feel like they have to.

Top Bottom