• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tony Hawk's Ride -

Hasney

For those that don't know/remember/blocked the experience from their mind and this will bring up some horrible repressed memories, Tony Hawk's Ride was the first Tony Hawk game that required the use of a proprietary skateboard controller and here is the beast now:

iOx0J0V.jpg

This is the second generation controller that came with Tony Hawk's Shred and based on reviews, it is actually better and more responsive than the original. Hey, for a £1 I'm sure I could get a few laughs, right? Especially with the game being only 50p. Steam sale impulse buy levels happened and here we are, so let's boot the game up. I was prepared for the game to be bad, but I wasn't prepared to be angry at itl.

Firs thing's first: Calibration. 15 seconds of the board being left alone and then 15 seconds on each sensor while Tony Hawk attempts to be funny with such lines as "Hey, look over there", what a guy. Apparently you need to do this every time you change batteries only, but I find that you need to do it if you move the board an inch towards a wall or piece of furniture, but hey, what's a few minutes of calibration every time you feel like you need to play a game? The title screen menu finally emerges and you have single player, party games and creating a skater.

Single player has road trip and exhibition modes where the only difference is the road trip is like the career mode so you can unlock things, while exhibition has exactly the same stages and modes, but doesn't unlock things. But hey, you can be pro skaters in exhibition which is also utterly pointless as skaters don't have stats, unless you want to start at Tony Hawk's butt instead of your created skater. Since exhibition mode holds nothing of value, I'll try the Road Trip mode.

Tutorials! The game takes you through the basics and I really do mean basics. It teaches you to play in casual mode, which is on rails and how to ollie, do lean tricks (roll the board while ollying) and do rotate tricks where you rotate the board as you olly. Grinding involves jumping onto rails and moving the board around while manuals are leaning the board back.

Once you go through that, you pick a city, an area and then you have a choice of modes. Rather than just be the free-form area where you have a checklist of things, you pick a task which are Speed runs, trick score attack and challenge mode, which revolves around gaps and grinds more than anything. Where's the S-K-A-T-E collecting and random things to do within a few minutes? Slight disappointment, but let's try some tricks!

Casual mode is dull where it just makes you follow a line with no control, but it offers confident mode that allows you to skate where you like, but offers some assistance with direction when ollying to grind or hit gaps. Hardcore has no assistance at all for people who "know what they're doing". I'm playing on Confident in California and then I get greeted by a real life skating douchebag named P-Rod. Not just a douchebag, but a real video with a really odd cel-shading filter. Things are REALLY going downhill now, especially appearing on a T-Mobile Sidekick which were really dead by the time the game came out.

The maps are verts or some narrow corridor. WHY?! It's bad enough when modern FPS games shove you down corridors but a skating game? I want to explore, not be hand held, but as soon as you push off, hell breaks lose. The board isn't wide enough for someone with a size 12 UK foot which means it's hard enough to control as it is, but the sensors, oh lord the sensors.

You need more space than Kinect to really use the thing because those sensors will just go off at anything that comes even close to any of the sensors. Every ollie seems to result in an Indy grab... Wait, grab? That's right, something the tutotial didn't even touch on and with good reason. if you actually try to grab the board while leaning, your fingers will be crushed when you come back down on it which is a terrible design flaw.

In spite of all this, when you get a good trick run going finishing with a manual with a fingerflip, it feels really good for brief moments until you get the horrible visuals back in your face when you've stopped concentrating on the board. Then the next time you attempt a run and the sensors go mad again. That's where the anger comes in rather than just laughing at a bad game: It has potential. If that controller worked and they designed some levels worth playing, this could have actually been enjoyable, but nope, Activision had to churn it out as quick as possible.

Party mode could also be fun, but it's the same few modes and you just take it in turns. Why is there no HORSE mode? That was an obvious slam dunk.

Shred was also 50p and being delivered soon. I'll see if that's any better, but I don't think the problems are purely software based...

Certinty

Still don't understand why Activision decided to take the TH series down this road. I mean although the games before that weren't great, they were no where near that bad for such a change to happen.

Hasney

Damn, I'm still typing this in another tab. not quite sure how that happened uhhhh.

I'll edit this thing in a little bit.

Still don't understand why Activision decided to take the TH series down this road. I mean although the games before that weren't great, they were no where near that bad for such a change to happen.

Activision just doesn't understand the idea of letting a franchise take a break before it's damaged beyond repair.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My favorite memory of this game is Tony Hawk holding the board at the E3 presentation and eloquently stating, "This board is, like, full of technology."

Hasney

My favorite memory of this game is Tony Hawk holding the board at the E3 presentation and eloquently stating, "This board is, like, full of technology."

He says something like that during calibration. "That thing you have now is the worlds most advanced skateboard controller."

Well sorry Tony, it's not. I've played Top Skater and that works MUCH better.

He says something like that during calibration. "That thing you have now is the worlds most advanced skateboard controller."

Well sorry Tony, it's not. I've played Top Skater and that works MUCH better.

I wish I could find a place with Ollie King

Was there ever actually a party for this?

The OT for it was actually quite a bit of fun

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379327

It was mostly just people posting gifs of glitches and waiting for reviews to come in because Jeff Gerstmann revealed that Activision wasn't shipping review copies and instead invited reviewers out to a three hour event to play it. From that three hours several sites still posted their reviews (they were all small sites). And as you'd expect they were all very positive.

Tokklyym

Neo Member

Because Activision saw how Guitar Hero was printing money and was looking for another franchise to attach big plastic controllers to.

Hasney

Because Activision saw how Guitar Hero was printing money and was looking for another franchise to attach big plastic controllers to.

Tony Hawk was in the perfect position for a re-invention as well since Proving Ground got a little spanked, both critically and in sales, by Skate. I liked all the newer Tony Hawk games before Ride, but I wasn't buying them full price yearly. It needed at least a year off to find itself, not a gimmick game a year after the last one.

I ended up playing Project8 last night as it was the only 360 THPS game I could find in my collection and ended up having a lot of fun. Only problem is, I then remembered I had Skate 3, which is even more fun.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I once came across an Activision promo stand for this at the Bullring mall in Birmingham. I had read previews online and was skeptical, but was still eager to try it out.

Within 10 seconds it was clear that the game did not work as intended. Within 20 I had stepped off the board and informed the rep that it was one of the worst games I had ever played, if you could even call it a game. I haven't been on one of those boards since.

Milennia

I honestly forgot about this thing and never though i would see one again lol.
When it came out i though it was going to be like that stationary skateboarding arcade game, then i read the reviews.

I still want a game thats like that skateboarding thing that you find in arcades.

Hasney

I honestly forgot about this thing and never though i would see one again lol.
When it came out i though it was going to be like that stationary skateboarding arcade game, then i read the reviews.

I still want a game thats like that skateboarding thing that you find in arcades.

Top Skater is emulated. I might see if the board conforms to XInput standard since I'd only need the leans on the board rather than the sensors and see if that works out.

Top Bottom