• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall ships 2.1 million copies globally

chadskin

In short:

NEWS | We've sold 2.1 million units of the #PS4 exclusive Killzone Shadow Fall globally! Thank you for your support! #4ThePlayers

via Twitter

In way too many words:

PR
SALES OF PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) EXCLUSIVE SOFTWARE TITLE, KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL, EXCEED 2.1 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE

The Highly Acclaimed PS4 Launch Title Makes Great Contribution to the Expansion of the PS4 Platform

Tokyo, January 30, 2014 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the global sales of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) exclusive title, KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL, exceeded 2.1 million units*1 as of January 15, 2014. The latest installment in the award-winning KILLZONE™ franchise delivers a compelling storyline along with rich gaming experiences. The title has received significant acclaim from users worldwide, and has made a great contribution to the expansion of the PS4 platform.

“I am thrilled that so many users have been enjoying KILLZONE SHADOW FALL since the launch of PS4,” said Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS). “This title fully embraces the creativity of the development team at Guerrilla Games*2 based in the Netherlands, and is a perfect representation of what SCE WWS has to offer. SCE will continue to deliver exciting software titles, and is currently developing more than 30 titles including DRIVECLUB™, inFAMOUS Second Son™ and The Order: 1886™, which offer entertainment experiences only possible on PS4.”

The KILLZONE series, exclusive to PlayStation® platforms, covers the conflicts between the Interplanetary Strategic Alliance (ISA) and the Helghast Empire. KILLZONE SHADOW FALL introduces a new chapter of the saga on the ISA's stronghold, Planet Vekta. Play as Lucas Kellan, an elite soldier/intelligence officer of the Vektan Government who faces various challenges to stop the terrorist group Black Hand from destroying the planet. Guerrilla Games has continued to release updates for the title after its launch in North America and Europe, such as game patches which offer better support on both single and multiplayer modes. The team is also currently working hard on a multiplayer expansion pack with additional features, as well as preparing two FREE multiplayer maps for the KILLZONE community. The release dates for the DLC will be announced shortly.

SCE will continuously expand the world of PS4 through the introduction of attractive software titles and network services.

*1 Includes both Blu-ray Disc™ sell-in quantities and download version sales on PlayStation®Store.

*2 A studio under SCE WWS which develops the KILLZONE franchise.

Massa

Congrats to them, already one of my favorite multiplayer games ever. It's like they took Killzone 2 and actually made it better!

Gestault

Super solid numbers, and this bodes well for the online community, even if campaign had its quirks. I'm glad they've started using sold numbers instead of shipped.

Edit: Sonovagun, these are shipped numbers, aren't they?

scoobs

Can't say deserved, as I hated the game, but hopefully it gives GG some confidence into taking risks on a new IP for their next game... Hopefully.

Now, if we could just convince more than .0005% of those 2 million people to get online each night and play multiplayer during peak hours...

Wow, that's a great number, mostly attributed to bundles I'd imagine. I hope Sony don't get it in their heads that this means Killzone is a franchise worth continuing, because it isn't. Shadow Fall was about as pedestrian as games get. Not good, not bad, merely average. Sony's first-party is better than Killzone.

Edit - Having said that, the multiplayer can be fun at times, once you get accustomed to it.

Great. They gave us a real next gen game on launch.
It wasn't perfect in every way but at least half of the levels were really great and the online is great.

I think the game will get more love later on.

hawk2025

I don't understand why the multiplayer is so empty.

It's clearly the best (and actually, properly good! No auto-aim, either!) part of the game, what are these 2.1 million people doing playing the campaign??

Alienous

Best looking next-gen exclusive. Well deserved :)

From what I've seen I'd have to give the award to RYSE. The animations in KZ:SF drive the game right into the uncanny valley.

And not an extremely fun game, otherwise.

It's a mediocre launch title. Not deserving of the sales numbers.

Verendus

Banned
Decent game. I'd say it deserves this success, but honestly there is a reason why it's a launch exclusive at the end of the day. Time to move onto better things for GG, I hope they create something which is more special.

Well that fully confirms those Insiderp numbers wrong from the other day.

Impressive numbers for a graphically very impressive game.
What numbers are those?

bjaelke

Chris Owen @Envisager_
Amazing! #PS4 exclusive title, KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL, exceeded sales of over 2.1 million units as of January 15, 2014. @killzone

I'm glad it's selling well, it's pretty amazing on a technical level. I just hope that if they make another one they dedicate more resources in the story telling department, I think that's where it was weakest.

Multiplayer was fine but boy, that single player was the worst FPS campaign that I've played since Crysis 2. And that comes from someone who thoroughly enjoyed the KZ3 campaign.

trephine

Banned
hopefully they get to make a real killzone 4 with like 2 years to make it and not rushed to launch.I dont think shadowfall is part 4

Endless

PR

SALES OF PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) EXCLUSIVE SOFTWARE TITLE, KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL, EXCEED 2.1 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE

The Highly Acclaimed PS4 Launch Title Makes Great Contribution to the Expansion of the PS4 Platform

Tokyo, January 30, 2014 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the global sales of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) exclusive title, KILLZONE™ SHADOW FALL, exceeded 2.1 million units*1 as of January 15, 2014. The latest installment in the award-winning KILLZONE™ franchise delivers a compelling storyline along with rich gaming experiences. The title has received significant acclaim from users worldwide, and has made a great contribution to the expansion of the PS4 platform.

“I am thrilled that so many users have been enjoying KILLZONE SHADOW FALL since the launch of PS4,” said Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS). “This title fully embraces the creativity of the development team at Guerrilla Games*2 based in the Netherlands, and is a perfect representation of what SCE WWS has to offer. SCE will continue to deliver exciting software titles, and is currently developing more than 30 titles including DRIVECLUB™, inFAMOUS Second Son™ and The Order: 1886™, which offer entertainment experiences only possible on PS4.”

The KILLZONE series, exclusive to PlayStation® platforms, covers the conflicts between the Interplanetary Strategic Alliance (ISA) and the Helghast Empire. KILLZONE SHADOW FALL introduces a new chapter of the saga on the ISA's stronghold, Planet Vekta. Play as Lucas Kellan, an elite soldier/intelligence officer of the Vektan Government who faces various challenges to stop the terrorist group Black Hand from destroying the planet. Guerrilla Games has continued to release updates for the title after its launch in North America and Europe, such as game patches which offer better support on both single and multiplayer modes. The team is also currently working hard on a multiplayer expansion pack with additional features, as well as preparing two FREE multiplayer maps for the KILLZONE community. The release dates for the DLC will be announced shortly.

SCE will continuously expand the world of PS4 through the introduction of attractive software titles and network services.

*1 Includes both Blu-ray Disc™ sell-in quantities and download version sales on PlayStation®Store.

*2 A studio under SCE WWS which develops the KILLZONE franchise.

Guevara

Surprisingly good number (to me at least). I don't love the KZ series, but I like what it's doing, and I really like the art design.

AlphaK

Good numbers, but unfortunately it seems like most people just played through the mediocre, snorefest of a SP campaign and left to play CoD/BF4 for their multiplayer needs.

alterno69

Banned
Wow, that's a great number, mostly attributed to bundles I'd imagine. I hope Sony don't get it in their heads that this means Killzone is a franchise worth continuing, because it isn't. Shadow Fall was about as pedestrian as games get. Not good, not bad, merely average. Sony's first-party is better than Killzone.
What would you sugest then? Shuting down GG? Cause scraping the franchise and try a new one wont automatically make the team better.

I think they need to do whatever they want to but take their time, their last great game was Killzone 2 and i think it's because they took their time to develop it.

I'd take a new Killzone, i like the universe.

FireCloud

I'm in that number somewhere. Though I can only play it in short sessions. Been having more fun with Don't Starve, Zen Pinball, and Knack.

Too bad the SP campaign was so bad I literally couldn't force myself to turn the game on anymore, even though MP was awesome. Traded it in for $40 and have zero regrets.

Draft

Clearly all bought for the SP campaign. Sony should let Guerilla concentrate on crafting a SP experience and not force them to tack on MP in which very few players are interested.

Top Bottom