• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Team is still making Sonic games in parallel with Sonic Boom

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have a couple more threads coming from this article, but if you're interested in the game I suggest reading the whole thing.

Polygon said:
Iizuka confirmed that there are currently no plans to bring the Sonic Boom games or cartoon to Japan; the show will launch in North America and France later this year, while the game is "coming soon." He also noted that the Japanese Sonic Team will continue to make Sonic games parallel to Big Red Button and Sanzaru's games, although he could not comment on their publication to PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/6/538...-over-to-western-studios-and-gave-him-a-scarf

Elija2

So is this gonna be a CoD-like scenario where Big Red Button and Sonic Team switch off making games every couple years? They make it sound like there could be multiple Sonic Boom games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So is this gonna be a CoD-like scenario where Big Red Button and Sonic Team switch off making games every couple years? They make it sound like there could be multiple Sonic Boom games.

Yes this is a brand new subseries conceived by Sega of America for the West.

Oriel

Interesting idea to essentially fork thr whole Sonic franchise between Sega America and Japan. Though given Sonic has never really been stellar in his native Japan it'd make you wonder why Sega America doesn't just take full responsibility for the franchise. I hope this Sonic Boom won't lead to two competiting timelines though.

It'd actually be quite nice if Sonic Team actually went in a more old school direction with the series now that they have someone else to make games in the franchise as well.

Boost gameplay lives!
Unless they throw that out the window for yet another style of Sonic gameplay which is a very real possibility, I'd wager that by the time this generation is done Sonic's forays into platforming are going to have gone all over the place.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Boost gameplay lives!
Unless they throw that out the window for yet another style of Sonic gameplay which is a very real possibility, I'd wager that by the time this generation is done Sonic's forays into platforming are going to have gone all over the place.

This game looks to play more like Ratchet & Clank.

_Ryo_

Is Sonic becoming Nintendo exclusive? No word on new games for any next gen platform other than WiiU.

Village

Interesting idea to essentially fork thr whole Sonic franchise between Sega America and Japan. Though given Sonic has never really been stellar in his native Japan it'd make you wonder why Sega America doesn't just take full responsibility for the franchise. I hope this Sonic Boom won't lead to two competiting timelines though.

Because when one of them do a sonic thing alone it eventually ends up bad.

So maybe them doing sonic things together, 1 of them can at least be good for a while, when the other one is bad. I mean it can be worse than undergound or sonic 06.
Though they have proven me wrong before..

Imma just wait and see.

Dang0

Is Sonic becoming Nintendo exclusive? No word on new games for any next gen platform other than WiiU.

The exclusivity agreement was for three games, and Sonic Boom is the third, so I'd assume the next one will be multiplat.

wrowa

I wonder if this is one of the times where Sega America and Sega Japan can't agree on one thing and then each just proceed doing their own thing. In this case, Sega America wants to re-ignite Sonic's popularity with a re-design and a cross-media approach, while Sega Japan wants to stay traditional.

It'll be interesting to see if we get even more new Sonic games this generation compared to last. There have been 6 3D Sonic platformers between Wii, PS3 and 360. 7 if you take into account that Unleashed Wii was pretty much its own game.

Top Bottom