• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what frame rate do you need?

In almost any console/PC comparison the issue of frame rate crops up, with people claiming they can't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps, or that even 120Hz isn't enough.

The truth is, they may all be right, at the same time.

So let's take some time and try to answer the question: What frame rate do you really need?

Considerations:
Motion perception
Critical flicker fusion
Input latency
Temporal aliasing

Motion perception (from 'slide show' to moving images)
Changing static images (as in motion picture) are perceived as in motion above 10-12 Hz. ('Phi phenomenon')
Images appearing in different locations (as in chase lightning) are perceived as moving in between them above 20 Hz. ('Beta movement')
So to sum up, you need at least 20 Hz to avoid 'slide shows'

Critical flicker fusion frame rate (Where motion becomes 'smooth' and CRTs 'flicker-free')
The reason for most of the confusion, because it depends a lot on the situation.
In simple terms:
* The brighter the game/screen, the higher the CFF
* The closer you sit, the higher the CFF
* The darker your room, the higher the CFF
* The more to the edge of the screen you look, the higher the CFF
* Motion blur hides CFF effects at the cost of detail.
This typically lies between 40 and 60 Hz on a HDTV. For PC screens and especially VR you may want a slightly higher rate.

Input latency (From 'laggy' to 'instant reaction on button press')
Inputs feel 'instant' as soon as total delay between button press and reaction on screen falls below 25ms.
So only looking at rendering latency, you'd need at least 40 Hz, but you'll want something higher to compensate for other sources of lag, if that remains possible.
25ms example: 120fps@120Hz Asus G-sync, 1000Hz mouse polling rate, Counterstrike: Go 128 tick server

bestcase-300x221gvqqb.png
longlag-300x206gksa3.png

(anandtech)

Temporal aliasing (stroboscopic/'wagon wheel' effect')
Due to the 'discrete' nature of the frame rate, you'll see multiple-images and wrong movement as soon as eye movement and screen movement differ.
Sadly, you would at least need 1000Hz to get to an acceptable level and without fast eye-tracking, would need too much motion blur to fix (think temporal FXAA).
Neither is feasible yet, but temporal upsampling (think TVs) could reduce averse effects in the meantime.
stroboscopic-60hzzpu0w.jpg

(blurbusters, example-keep eyes stationary: http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=eiffel.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0)

TLDR: 20 Hz is necessary to avoid slide shows. What's necessary for 'smoothness' depends on a lot of factors, but 60Hz is enough in many situations.
Beyond the CFF frame rate there is no further improvement in smoothness, but higher frame rates may be preferable to reduce input lag and temporal aliasing until display technology advances far enough.

Annex 1: The latest model for CFF is:
Code:
CFF = (0.24E + 10.5)(Log L+log p + 1.39 Log d - 0.0426E + 1.09) (Hz)
E = how far from center you look (degrees)
L = how bright (eye luminance, 215cd/m2 full white screen = 3.45 Log L)
d = field of view (degrees)
p = eye adaption (pupil area in mm2, typical 0.5-1.3 Log p)
more detailed information can be found at http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=333

Juice

Personally I struggle to perceive frame rate improvements beyond 26 or so.

Guess I'm glad not up have the curse of perceiving 60fpsas being wonderful

eot

Banned
It varies from game to game, 60 fps is fine for most stuff but in competitive shooters you really want 100+. Quake or CS would be unplayable at 60 fps for me.

I play a lot of very fast moving FPS, so anything under 60 is no good for me. I normally lock my frame rate to somewhere around 120.

Cartman86

Banned
Bleh if you lock Assassin's Creed IV at 30 fps on the same monitor and then do the same with 60 fps everyone will notice the difference.

30 locked (no more no less) for any game that isn't :
- fighting
- racing
- VERY fast fps (not CoD, something like Tribes or Quake or Unreal)
- Shumps
- Fast/Precise plateformer (Super Meat Boy)

for these I listed, 60 fps is requiered

All benefits asides, I just like watch character and object animations in 60+ frames.

So yeah, I'd prefer 60 locked or higher fps in any game really. I can deal with variable 50 - 60 though if they're not constant. It's a good thing I've been losing interest in games/genres that can't seem to get out of that 30 frame threshold on the console-verse.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Well I'd prefer 120fps for everything, but I can't afford a card that would do that. I have to have at least 30.. If it dips below that, it makes the game not enjoyable.

Hip Hop

60FPS is what I need.

Was the reason why I built a gaming PC, but I can stand 30fps. I'm not gonna pass up a game for that (GTA V is my favorite game from last generation).

Ideally, it would be 120fps to go along with my 144hz monitor.

Before getting to know about refresh rates and what not, I thought my computer was broken. I somehow found out that it had do to with 60hz monitors making my games look like crap. Purchased a higher refresh rate monitor and I now understand how important it is.

gngf123

I am more than comfortable with 30 fps. If I'm playing a fighting game or a racing game I will want 60.

I remember years ago playing Crysis at 10 fps. Good times.

kamspy

Native resolution of the display I'm using and 60fps.

The first time I beat Crysis I probably averaged around 15fps. So it's not a mandate, but if you're asking I'll take native resolution and native refresh rate.

I only game on PC now so I can compromise on a game by game basis instead of having developers compromise for me.

I can play and enjoy 30fps and even a few select sub-30fps games... as long as they don't try to cover up their terrible framerate with cheap tricks like motion blur. It literally makes me sick to my stomach and gives me motion sickness.

30 solid
30 with dips
60 solid

That's it. I notice dips from 60 and I don't like them. Previous generations have taught me to tolerate low framerate dips though.

Seance

Banned
I need around 60. Locked 60 is ideal but i'm fine with areas dropping into the 50's. Below that is just unpleasant.

Subxero

Stable 30 is fine. Heck I'm playing EDF 2025 splitscreen and I know it drops but it doesn't really bother me. I'll take visuals, effect and physics over 60 frames any day.

i truly dont give a shit about high fps. i used to play ffxi on a pc that had it running around 15-20fps. and every now and then it would jump up to like 30 or 35 and it looked so fluid. im so used to the old shit that its become standard and 60 now is WOOOOOW to me. i like the feeling of being wowed so ill stick to my low fps as my personal standard of acceptance.

MisterHero

I don't expect every developer to have the same expertise nor should performance always be on a pedestal. Just make sure it runs and doesn't have any game-breaking errors. :p

psn

Depends on the Game.

I play Counterstrike Global Offensive on 120Hz with Lightboost - much much better than 144Hz. CRT smoothness.

But you need 120fps, so it is really demanding when you try to play like that in BF4 or Project Cars.

Theres no need for more than 60fps if you have no 120/144Hz Monitor... unless you want to kill a bit input lag.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
unless response time is EXTREMELY on the matter (dota\lol), 24fps.

BPoole

If I'm using KB/M, 60 is the a necessity. If I am using a controller and the game is not in first person, I can settle for 30, but 60fps is always ideal

Honestly I can be fine at 30fps, but let me tell you....1440p and 120fps can spoil a motherfucker. Its hard for me to go below that quality but I would never skip out on a gaming experience based on frame rate alone, I loved my N64!

Zimbardo

when it comes to PC, my preference is 60fps with little to no dips.

i can live with 30fps in rare/certain circumstances, tho.

Goddard

60, no exceptions. Games are about gameplay, controlling things and having them interact with other things, having fancy graphics is nice, but I will sacrifice whatever I can to reach 60 fps, the fluidness of animations, the increased amount and response time of information, and the control response that comes with having the frame refresh at the same time as your display should never, ever, be compromised, which is why I only game on Nintendo consoles and pc.

-Deimos

Anything under 30 is choppy for me, especially in modern games with complex graphics. For retro games or games with simple graphics, it doesn't matter as much.

MercuryLS

Banned
I want 60 for everything, but as a console gamer I know that's an impossible dream (most devs will push graphics over framerate). I can live with locked 30, but I want 60 for everything.

I may get a powerful Steam Machine later this year to play multi plats at 60.

Jtrizzy

I'm pretty much done buying 30 fps games for $60. I want to support devs/games like Infamous or The Order, but it's a waste of money when I know I'll just quit after an hour or two. I can't enjoy them because in the back of my mind there is this level of disappointment.

GTA V and TLOU were the last two I bought, and ended up only playing for an hour or two, hoping for next gen ports. PC has spoiled me. I'll take 1080p60 even if I have to make sacrifices every time. I like to take my time, panning around, taking it all it and 30 fps hurts that.

And any game that struggles to keep 30 shouldn't be shipped imo.

I don't know the frame rate of any video game I've ever played. I'm not even entirely sure what frame rate is, and I've been playing games for around 25 years.

Top Bottom