• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions about Dragon Quest 9, DLC and the (soon to be) discontinued online.

ReyVGM

Now that Nintendo's Wii and DS online are ending. I was wondering about DQ9.

I haven't played the game yet, so I'm worried I'm going to miss out on all those downloadable quests after May 20th. Are those quests something that I can go and get right away after starting the game or are they given to me on specific parts of game?

How does it work exactly? I want to know if I should start the game, download them all and play the game later, or if I'll be forced to play the game entirely before May 20th.

creid

Do you have a friend with the game? Using the Streetpass-esque feature of the game, if you tag anyone with more downloaded quests than you, the quests unlock in your game. I might be misremembering - you might have to actually join a friend's game via multiplayer, not tag them.

One thing you will probably miss out on is the online store, but I'm not sure how much you're really missing there.

gblues

Banned
IIRC the "DLC" portion of DQ9 is already offline (DQVS)

Local wifi multiplayer and StreetPass features should be unaffected.

ReyVGM

Can anyone give more info as to how the quests are unlocked?

Like I said, I haven't played the game yet nor do I plan too anytime soon because I still haven't played DQ6.

So if the DLC is already offline as stated by gblues, that means I have no way of getting those quests unless I have a friend with those quests unlocked?

Do I just start the game, connect with a friend and the quests will be unlocked? Or do I have to go somewhere in the game to do so? How does it work exactly?

creid

Can anyone give more info as to how the quests are unlocked?

Like I said, I haven't played the game yet nor do I plan too anytime soon because I still haven't played DQ6.

So if the DLC is already offline as stated by gblues, that means I have no way of getting those quests unless I have a friend with those quests unlocked?

Do I just start the game, connect with a friend and the quests will be unlocked? Or do I have to go somewhere in the game to do so? How does it work exactly?
IIRC you need to get an hour or two into the game before you can access multiplayer (in the inn of a town called
Stornway
.) Enter the game of someone that already has the quests unlocked and then leave, and the quests should be unlocked in your game. I don't remember how you access the quests though, maybe in the Select menu?

rrs

Good luck getting the damn thing online due to the outdated security protocols it uses, WEP from what I remember.

Pretty much, I wonder why Nintendo couldn't include a bypass in the 3DS so I can play DS stuff online on my super encrypted communal internet.

KiTA

Someone over at Woodus's Dragon's Den forum has been using a AR to archive save games of each day of the DQVC "online" store.

Unfortunately, two of them - "Everything Rust Go" and the Orb Week days will be forever lost - they were only available the first year DQ9 was out in the US, the other two years the SE had pulled Nintendo WFC support for DQ properties in the US. It took a few months of petitioning Nintendo to get them to restore support. Those two days will not come around before the WIfi is shut down. Fortunately, the orbs are readily available in game via the legacy bosses, and the Rusty Gear (which is actually Roto's gear from DQ1) is available elsewhere as well... I believe. Other days on the DQVC sell them.

The DLC quests are available via AR and can easily be gotten via tag mode (the predecessor to Streetpass that Square Enix developed and Nintendo borrowed). The "special" maps from Japan, including Murasaki's and the Locker, are also stored as save files as well, so they won't be lost.

I don't know if the special guests for the Inn will be available via tag mode as well. I'll ask in the thread and report back.

ujnhunter

Neo Member
You can't just get the "DLC" unlocked immediately... you need to complete 4 or 5 boss fights (I was about 6-8 hours in before I unlocked it). Possible ::Spoiler::
You need to have gone back to the Observatory after defeating the Boss in Coffinwell and completing the Quest there. When going back to the new location in the Protectorate, "ZOOM" back to Stornway and talk to the new NPC located between the Celestian and the Krak Pot. She'll connect you to the DQVC and unlock the extra Guests & Quests.
Good luck! I played through from the beginning this weekend just to unlock these myself. It's a pretty awesome game so far. Wish I had played it earlier. Protip for connecting your DS to your Router, some Routers allow "Guest" connections without security passwords (DS only allows WEP, most current Routers are WPA now) so check your Router settings. :) Now I just need to dupe some items using a bunch of different save game files, hopefully one with Christmas Cake. Does anyone know if we can connect to other people through tunneling software?

Next up... trying to figure out what I need to do to get Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon to connect to WiFi before tomorrow night... :|

Do you have a friend with the game? Using the Streetpass-esque feature of the game, if you tag anyone with more downloaded quests than you, the quests unlock in your game. I might be misremembering - you might have to actually join a friend's game via multiplayer, not tag them.

One thing you will probably miss out on is the online store, but I'm not sure how much you're really missing there.

A bunch of cosmetic gear and the Christmas Cake, which is needed for one of the DLC quests.

Branson

Are these quests good enough to get? I got about 5 hours in and sort of stopped recently and moved on to other games of interests.

Celegus

I thought they were really fun, so I'd suggest grabbing them if at all possible. So much to do in that game. I'm a little biased though, since it was my 2010 GotY and put close to 200 hours into it.

Branson

Cooll, so i JUST got to the point i can connect, if all of the guests are there the quests will show up too right?

Top Bottom