• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Appreciation Thread: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC/Xbox)

Speevy

Banned
Since this is the only RPG I bothered to complete 6 times (each is a brisk 35 or so hours), I thought I would make a thread about exactly what I think of this game.

Release Date 2003

Why it rocked

-Interesting and dynamic combat system based on D&D ruleset
-Virtually 100% voice acting for all characters and NPC's
-Interesting characters and story, 35 hour quest
-Dark and light system that let you customize your badass Jedi
-Dialogue trees that made gameplay a part of conversations and not just combat
-Excellent original soundtrack

How it was received

-AIAS Game of the Year Winner for Best RPG of 2003, overall game of the year nominee
-Highest Rated (Gamerankings) RPG of this generation
-Sold very well on the Xbox (no idea about the PC version)
-Served as a standard when Bioware tried to pass Jade Empire off as its superior. Not a chance.

What it means today

-Its animation-based overworld combat system (i.e. no broken glass random encounters) has made its way into Final Fantasy 12. Not that KOTOR was the first game of this type, but this was definitely a great way to go.
-Dialogue trees and choices (which are inherently good ideas) will be part of more RPG's in the future.
-Would make a fine next-gen game

Excellent Characters

-HK-47
-Darth Malak
-Bastila

What was wrong with it, which got worse the non-Bioware sequel

-Game-freezing bugs from time to time
-LONG, LONG load screen
-Corrupted saves

TehOh

I loves me my KotOR. Those were two of the best games I've ever played. Best Star Wars games ever at any rate.

AniHawk

Made my Xbox purchase worth it.

A wonderful surprise I didn't see coming. I want KOTOR III.

AND THAT PLOT TWIST. TO THIS DAY. HOLY DAMN.

I just bought KotOR at a mall one day, just thinking it would be a STar Wars action game. When I brought it home though, I learned it was an RPG and it is probably my favorite game on Xbox. Even if my save file got corrupted, causing me to restart from the first planet.

AniHawk said:
Made my Xbox purchase worth it.

A wonderful surprise I didn't see coming. I want KOTOR III.

AND THAT PLOT TWIST. TO THIS DAY. HOLY DAMN.

Yeah that was really great, it was like playing a normal (although very fun) game and then it suddenly gave you a wonderful present. Awesome.

evil ways

I liked KOTOR, it was reason #2 for me getting an Xbox, but after playing through it twice I realized the game has a lot of long, boring moments in between the good parts, kinda like the Star Wars prequels.

Also would have preferred a combat system that gave you total control, without the same canned animations over and over, and without having an enemy nail you with a melee attack about 10 feet away from you while you're retreating.

Timo

god, i hated it.

i think i'm the only one ever. it was a bit difficult for me, the control setup and stuff. load times were shit, and didn't get far at all. i didn't make it past the first world.

i don't regret selling it.

AniHawk

Striek said:
Yeah, but they could've revealed it earlier, like before you were nearly certain it was coming.

I guess I could've/should've seen it all coming... but I didn't. The way the story was presented, and the way it had you interact so much was what really made the plot twist worth it. I remember starting off, thinking that I was going to be a badass dark jedi from the get-go, and a couple hours in I was helping every person I came across the best I could. The fact that
I was actually this powerful Sith Lord everyone had me believe was dead
was truly shocking, and well-done. I remember in the revelation scene thinking, "no... no way." The story really drew me in.

Timo said:
god, i hated it.

i think i'm the only one ever. it was a bit difficult for me, the control setup and stuff. load times were shit, and didn't get far at all. i didn't make it past the first world.

i don't regret selling it.

Hey, it's called an appreciation thread. Now take a hike.

Bebpo

Banned
Striek said:
Yeah, but they could've revealed it earlier, like before you were nearly certain it was coming.

Pretty much. I prefer plot twists that I don't expect so I go "OMGWTF!?!". If you've pretty much guessed its going to happen and then it does...it's like "oh...ok". :\

M

muphins

Unconfirmed Member
Best game ever. Don't embarrass yourself by disagreeing.

Speevy

Banned
The game itself just had a story that was so well told and so well acted (by video game standards) that whether you figured it out or not, the conclusion was ultimately satisfying.

Anyanka

One of the best games this generation. I loved the conversations. Made it feel like your character was a true fully developed main character instead of a lifeless avatar for the player.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I didn't see the twist coming. I mean, I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't think there was a chance they would do that.

Beowvlf

Banned
Bebpo said:
Pretty much. I prefer plot twists that I don't expect so I go "OMGWTF!?!". If you've pretty much guessed its going to happen and then it does...it's like "oh...ok". :\
Not to mention the twist completely reeks of a writer who desperately wants his audience to go 'OMGWTF?!'. It was thinly supported and rather extraneous to the crux of the narrative. In part it seemed added in simply because he/she could make it work.

Nevertheless, KOTOR is an excellent game, and definitely one of my favs on the box.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
One of my favourite games this gen. The second one was kick ass too.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Heian-kyo said:
Not to mention the twist completely reeks of a writer who desperately wants his audience to go 'OMGWTF?!'. It was thinly supported and rather extraneous to the crux of the narrative. In part it seemed added in simply because he/she could make it work.

Nevertheless, KOTOR is an excellent game, and definitely one of my favs on the box.

I think this is being really hypercritical. The twist was entertaining. How was it thinly supported? I specifically remember multiple plot strands winding together after this revelation.

ToxicAdam

It might have been a crappy PC (at the time), but I had some severe FPS drops (like 5 fps) in some of the outside areas of the game. It was painful. Also a few crashes during major battles.

But aside from that its a Bioware RPG. Glad to see the console kiddies get a chance to play one.

KOTOR isn't even my favorite Star Wars game. I still love Jedi Outcast 2 better.

Reilly

Combat is boring.

Too much pointless talking.

Blasters are worthless.

Worlds weren't big enough.

Only can level to 20. :lol

Card game is stupid.

Good game, but I don't think it was one of the best RPG's ever.

teiresias

-Its animation-based overworld combat system (i.e. no broken glass random encounters) has made its way into Final Fantasy 12. Not that KOTOR was the first game of this type, but this was definitely a great way to go.
-Dialogue trees and choices (which are inherently good ideas) will be part of more RPG's in the future.

At least you acknowledge the first bullet-point is nothing new in RPGs, but the second bullet point is like ANCIENT and simply because it hasn't traditionally been used in a certain sub-genre of videogame RPGs before doesn't mean KOTOR invented the damn thing. FFXII owes alot more to MMORPGs and FFXI then it does to KOTOR IMO.

Personally, I liked the game well enough, but it was nothing extraordinary to anyone that had played a PC RPG in the past ten years. The planets felt small, and while the variety of planets was nice, the redundency of each planet's design in its own level was very trying and boring, it was like the same five rooms most of the time - not to mention the same five NPC models as well.

The story is nice, would make a good side-story Star Wars film, and definately is better than the damn prequels we got.

So anyway, good game, not revolutionary, not even in the world of console RPGs, but far from horrible - some weird design (gameplay and aesthetic design) decisions bring it down quite a few notches though.

Speevy

Banned
Yeesh. Tough crowd. Anyway, I expected some negativity, but everyone has an opinion.

I'm thinking about buying this game again for my Xbox 360, since it's been so long since I last played it.

Speevy

Banned
Himuro said:
Personally I don't see what's with the obsession with american rpgs and dungeons and dragons. Create your own damn battle systems.

It works, and just so no one confuses what you're saying, the superficial (i.e. what the player sees) elements of KOTOR's battle system aren't what Himuro is talking about.

It's just math.

You have a character with a 5 attack sword.
You have a character with a 4 defense shield.
Character is resistant to this.
Character is weak against that.

There are only so many ways you can logically integrate that into a game, unless it's just arbitrary.

"I'm talking about rolls."

Just about every RPG uses some form of "rolling."

"so that makes it good?"

No, I won't argue with you, though. You sound like someone who's insecure about an arbitrary number like what "level" you are.

Speevy

Banned
Reilly said:
so that makes it good?

It works for KOTOR. Level 20 is a level at which you can comfortably defeat most normal enemies and you're ready for the end. Pacing works well, since you'll likely find this level right at the end.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Best RPG ever and rated as such. Trolls cant even fight their way out of a wet paper bag on this one.

Excellent story with brilliant plot twists, wicked combat system, great art, great customization . Its just got it all. You can like what you like, but you cant deny kotor is a masterpeice.

Reilly

Teknopathetic said:
No, I won't argue with you, though. You sound like someone who's insecure about an arbitrary number like what "level" you are.

no, I'm just someone who hates not being able to level up.

"Huh? I was told that KOTOR's battle system is comparable to rolls in DND. Maybe I misinterpretated what they meant?"

KOTOR's battle system is based off DnD, not just rolling dice, etc. But the idea of "rolling," as in random number generation for attacking vs. defense, spell success vs. resisting, etc. etc. is not something exclusive to western RPGs.

"no, I'm just someone who hates not being able to level up."

So, basically, what I said.

Prine

Banned
My personal Game of the generation, probably the best game i've ever played

Above Halo, MGS3, RE4, Ridick, MP, Zelda, Panzer Dragoon (all the top games i've played)

Best storyline, best dialogue, fantastically delivered voice acting, awesome battle system.

Pretty much made every RPG after it redundent.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I have to admit I didn't see the twist coming it all. Anyway HK-47 is probably my favourite character in any RPG ever :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, best game you ever played??? Whaaaa.... Watched a friend play through the beginning parts and it just didn't do it for me. I hate Star Wars and the battle system looked really really primitive. Auto battle was fine in Phantasy Star 2, oh 16 years ago, but now...?

Loved it. Favorite console RPG this gen...which isn't hard, IMO. When the twist was revealed, I was surprised that I didn't pick up on it earlier...I guess I was so involved with the universe while playing it that I didn't think about it, really...and I'm glad I didn't suspect it beforehand. It was what made the story for me.

Could it have been better (outside of the technical shortcomings and polish issues)? Yes. But it was damned fine for what it was. I am drooling over the possibilities of Mass Effect now...

"Auto battle was fine in Phantasy Star 2, oh 16 years ago, but now...?"

See, this is related to one of my problems with the game. It's *not* auto battle, the problem is, the game's so easy that you never really need to use more than a few force powers and the default attack. Just using default attacks in BG2 won't get you outside of the first few dungeons.

Speevy

Banned
That's why there are multiple difficulty settings.

Auto battle was fine in Phantasy Star 2, oh 16 years ago, but now...?

It's a way to streamline commands and involve the player. Not to mention there are multiple characters to switch from/deal with. If you ask me, random battles apply more to what you're saying, which is why they're slowly being phased out.

Tellaerin

Bebpo said:

Which was pretty much my experience with FF VII. I called Aeris' death from the opening movie - the way they presented her as a lone spot of humanity in the dark, impersonal city immediately made me think, 'They're setting her up for a tragic death.' The idea of a party member getting killed off wasn't unthinkable for me (
Phantasy Star 2's one of my favorite RPG's
), so once Aeris joined the party, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Guess that's part of the reason the game didn't have the impact on me that it had on a lot of other people.

The twist in KotOR, on the other hand, I didn't see coming, and it hit me like a freight train. It just wasn't something I would've expected.

djtiesto said:
Wow, best game you ever played??? Whaaaa.... Watched a friend play through the beginning parts and it just didn't do it for me. I hate Star Wars and the battle system looked really really primitive. Auto battle was fine in Phantasy Star 2, oh 16 years ago, but now...?

The battle system is far from primitive. If you hate SW, that's all well and good, but it really sounds like you let your hatred influence your perceptions of the game. And what's wrong with autobattle? It's certainly no worse than sitting there with your finger on the X button round after round, the way you can with some other RPG's - at least with an autobattle option, you can put the controller down. :p

Top Bottom