• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Revival of Melee 7 Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament - Mar. 8th-9th

Revven

ROM7Logo.png

The Official Trailer

-The infamous tournament series that started right when Melee's scene was on the brink of death -- the tournament match that brought many people back and revived a nearly dead game back in 2008. Yes, today is Revival of Melee 7.

-The previous tournament featured tons of hype, pools matches such as Kage the Warrior vs MattDotZeb and Toph vs StriCNYN3 were hype through the roof. And M2K had won yet another set against Hungrybox, as well to close out the tournament, continuing his return to proper form.

-RoM7 will bring the hype again with a super stacked regional tournament featuring the likes of...

Mew2King (US) (Marth, Sheik, Fox)
Hungrybox (US) (Jigglypuff)
Mango (US) (Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, Marth)
Hax$ (US) (Fox, Captain Falcon)
JMan (US) (Fox)
Zhu (US) (Falco)
RaynEX (Canada) (Fox)
KirbyKaze (Canada) (Sheik)
The Moon (US) (Marth)
Abate (US) (Luigi)

...And many more!

Stream
The Revival of Melee 7 will be streamed on VGBootCamp and it's live RIGHT NOW.

Schedule
The tournament schedule can be found here -- the stream schedule should try to mirror that.

I can't find any of the pools right now (needed to get this thread done), but Doubles should begin today with Singles pools later in the day. If I find them later (or someone else does) I'll edit this with them.

Revven

Will Shiz have a rematch with Mew2king? I know its not the same but my God it would be hype.

That would be amazing, for sure, but alas he hasn't been seen around since EVO. I think he went back to focusing on his music career.

Still a stacked as hell tournament though regardless :eek:

So is AXE there or not? And I'm not the one flaming about Brawl, stop being snarky.

Also, no need to derail innocent threads. If you have a problem with me send a PM or at least keep it to the original thread.

who's the one flaming about Brawl

That would be amazing, for sure, but alas he hasn't been seen around since EVO. I think he went back to focusing on his music career.

Still a stacked as hell tournament though regardless :eek:

What does he play?

Azure J

Man Melee doubles have really pigeon holed. WAAYY too many Fox/Fox v Fox/Fox.

It's funny that doubles have become the meme, but Melee singles are where all the diversity is. FWIW, I don't mind all the Fox for background noise, but the best matches have been the Foxes paired with the Marths earlier, Alukard's Shiek, and the triple Jigglypuff with the one Falcon just because of how "what the hell" that was. :lol

Anth0ny

Yeah, Melee doubles is definitely at 20XX status. If it's not Fox/Fox, it's Fox/Puff or Fox/Sheik, or Fox/Marth, or maybe Fox/Falcon. If you don't have a Fox on your team, you fucked up.

Azure J

Yeah, Melee doubles is definitely at 20XX status. If it's not Fox/Fox, it's Fox/Puff or Fox/Sheik, or Fox/Marth, or maybe Fox/Falcon. If you don't have a Fox on your team, you fucked up.

Clearly this means we need a Pichu/Pichu team of upsets for maximum hype.

Dr.Hadji

I know this is a reference to Mega Man x but I don't really get how its used, especially this this case. Someone teach me the ways.

Azure J

The discussion on stream a few minutes ago spoke to me as someone trying to learn Fox. There's a marked difference between my Fox, Pit and Marth and I'm beginning to think that as long as I have the option and can bust it out at any time, that's good enough for me. I've been better with movement and mind games. Chasing the dream of being a gold medal finger Olympic champ isn't where my strengths lie.

Anth0ny

I know this is a reference to Mega Man x but I don't really get how its used, especially this this case. Someone teach me the ways.

20XX is basically used in the Smash community to describe a dystopian future where everyone plays Fox.

Azure J

I actually don't know how this became the term for it, but it's basically the umbrella for the old "tournament matches are all Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination" misconception or slander used by (ignorant) Brawl folks of the time who didn't want to legitimize Melee's competitive depth.

Edit: "A dystopian future". Straight up Megaman X sounding shit. :lol

Hax (Aziz) has this running joke about—so you know how in Megaman, in the Megaman Show, it's like, 'the year is 20xx . . .'
So Aziz's thing is like, 'the year is 20xx, everyone plays Fox . . .'
And there's this whole postapocalyptic universe that is built off of Fox being the only viable character left . . .
Humanity has reached its pinnacle . . .
The peasants are living in. . . poverty . . .
And there's these monasteries where these fox monks just levitate and TAS Fox with one character and with one hand, and win a tournament with the other . . .
And the tournament metagame has gotten to this point where everything is played out to theoretical perfection, so they Rock Paper Scissors for port priority, and that's the set . . .
And everyone gets really excited about the port priority RPS . . .
So RPS's metagame has really evolved to where it's really just like RPS tournaments are now . . .
And that's the world we live in in the year 20xx, so . . .

Source

Revven

Man Melee doubles have really pigeon holed. WAAYY too many Fox/Fox v Fox/Fox.

Yeah, it's slowly been getting worse and worse. I think it's because people have realized that Fox just has all the right options for Doubles matches whereas if you're not using him, Sheik, or Falco, you're not likely to be as successful (unless of course you're Hbox or someone of the like who is just really good with their character in both game types).

Someone who uses Marth in singles may switch to Fox in doubles just because they know that Marth just doesn't do very well in doubles (his biggest problem is sealing KOs which is a really crucial part of doubles -- if you don't seal KOs then you can find yourself in a predicament in doubles). Fox is appealing to the Marth player in doubles for that reason because they don't have to work as hard for their KOs. Even though their Fox is worse than their Marth, they'll still perform better than they would using Marth.

And no one is willing to learn a lower tiered character just for the potential chance of them somehow being decent or better in doubles when Fox/Falco/Sheik are sitting there proven to already be good in doubles. Especially when doubles almost always has less entrants and attention than singles.

Really sucks because doubles did use to be relatively varied. Now singles is the one that's varied, at least among the top 10 or so characters.

Edit: Speaking of variance, already Luigi vs Falco in Singles! Awesome start.

Top Bottom