• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony finally updates Gaikai.com

CREMSteve

https://www.gaikai.com/

I've had this bookmarked for like a year now, waiting to see if Sony would ever update it. Well, today I went to check it out and it's finally changed.

Some cool behind-the-scenes images in there, Gaikai looks like a cool place to work. Hopefully PS Now works as well as advertised, I know Remote Play has impressed a lot of people already.

Abriael

Banned
lookie lookie what was hidden in the history page.

Prices are probably placeholders, but they seem reasonable compared to the age of the games.

January2014_PSnowService.jpg

Prices are probably placeholders, but they seem reasonable compared to the age of the games.

Very interesting. Do you think that will be to rent? I can't see that being the "owning" price.

Or have they explained their model already?

Gorillaz

SCE put a lot of money into this, about as much as that MS NFL deal. I hope PS Now works out for them.

Gaikai cost Sony 380 Million Dollars and the NFL advertising deal cost MS 400 Million Dollars for 5 years.

Personally, in the long term I think Sony used their money better, but MS has their own thing ( Rio ) incoming if I recall. I like the site. Looks nice.

Damn, didn't realize the GaiKai thing was around the same as the NFL deal

Guymelef

They should go with a monthly/yearly price.
Netflix isn't available in my country. Does it have two options? subscription and rental?

Capella

Hmm, do you think that is the price to "purchase" the games and be able to stream them forever?

Pretty sure it's rental. During CES they said you would have the option of the subscription service or rent by title. I think they said no to being able to purchase and stream.

Mikey Jr.

Definitely on a rental system.

I see....

1. Uncharted 3 for $4.99. The blue icon shows that it is rentable.

2. TLOU for $49.99. Store price. Not part of gaikai.

3. Far Cry 3 for $5.99. Rentable.

4. Bioshock for ..........something. No blue icon, you buy it from the store, not gaikai.

Mikey Jr.

You know what I think?

If you are a PS+ member, you WILL have PSnow.

However, that means nothing. To actually play games, you need to rent them.

My personal guess on pricing is a daily, four day, and monthly price.

Daily won't be less than $1
Four day (weekend deal) - $5-$10
Monthly -$10-$15

Of course newer games will be more expensive than this, but this is just a guess.

I'm not so sure a netflix subscription model would work on a pay range that would allow for shorter rentals.

Overall it's going to be closer to redbox than netflix, as much as I wish it was the opposite...

Owwari

Banned
Call me a challenged individual but I JUST NOW realized I'll be able to play The Last of Us on the PS4.
If Persona 5 ends up the same way I might end up giving up on buying a cheap-ass PS3 this year (yeah, I went PC + handheld only this past gen)

Capella

My personal guess on pricing is a daily, four day, and monthly price.

Daily won't be less than $1
Four day (weekend deal) - $5-$10
Monthly -$10-$15

Of course newer games will be more expensive than this, but this is just a guess.

I'm not so sure a netflix subscription model would work on a pay range that would allow for shorter rentals.

Overall it's going to be closer to redbox than netflix, as much as I wish it was the opposite...
They've already said there will be a subscription model as another option. Here.

In those flashing stills, I think I can see one of the workers browsing WorldstarHiphop on their screen, but I could be completely off.

Cool to see them ramping up to get Playstation Now ready as a service, I'm really interested to see what it can achieve.

Definitely on a rental system.

I see....

1. Uncharted 3 for $4.99. The blue icon shows that it is rentable.

2. TLOU for $49.99. Store price. Not part of gaikai.

3. Far Cry 3 for $5.99. Rentable.

4. Bioshock for ..........something. No blue icon, you buy it from the store, not gaikai.
Looks like the movie pricing model that psn has. Where Sony pictures movies are usually cheaper ($1) than the other big guys

I can't wait to play Persona 5 on Playstation Now on my Vita.
That's the plan and it's going to be awesome.

I figure they will have worked out the kinks by then as well.

Triple U

Banned
Gaikai cost Sony 380 Million Dollars and the NFL advertising deal cost MS 400 Million Dollars for 5 years.

Personally, in the long term I think Sony used their money better, but MS has their own thing ( Rio ) incoming if I recall. I like the site. Looks nice.
Those are two very different kind of situations. MS paid that to secure advertising and exclusive rights to things, basically a one time cost.

Sony paid what they paid to aquire gaikai and will now fund the business going forward, which could equal who knows much.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Those are two very different kind of situations. MS paid that to secure advertising and exclusive rights to things, basically a one time cost.

Sony paid what they paid to aquire gaikai and will now fund the business going forward, which could equal who knows much.
You know, there's not much for me to respond to here... Personally, I think Sony spent their [nearly] 400 Million better. That's all there is to it. Yes, one is an advertisement and the other is an ongoing expenditure and they are both completely different things. But I still think the [nearly] 400 million dollars Sony spent on Gaikai better aligns with my interest.

I don't know why I felt the need to respond. But I also don't know why you responded. So here we are. The exact same place we were 15 minutes ago.

Top Bottom