• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | March 10-16 | Prepare to be Disappointed

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of March 10th to the 16th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Final Round XVII [ Thread ] [ Friday ] [ 2PM EDT | 11AM PDT ]
Jersey Shoreyuken 13: Battle By The Boardwalk [ Sunday ] [ 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iXMqpPMSZ9WKu.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at tutorialfiend Juicebox!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
I currently play KOF13 and KI. KOF13 would qualify as my all-time favorite fighting game.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
My favorite mechanic from current gen fighting games is KI's Combo Breaker. It has lots of far-reaching consequences on matchups that I think end up being well-balanced and excellent. One mechanic that I also really like that I think can be explored more is 'long-pause' counter hits, such as Alpha 3 or KOF12.

My least favorite mechanic is probably SF4's ultra combos, because it's free, unearned meter.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
When I was a kid, fighting games were what I was drawn to in arcades, and World Warrior was one of my favorite SNES games. I didn't seriously get into them until Super Smash Bros. Melee, however.

When not playing fighters, I enjoy rhythm games, jrpgs, platformers, single player shooters, and spectacle fighters (Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, God Hand, etc).
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
My favorite fighting game character is Abel. I like that he's an honest and polite person who is well-trained. He is always calm and collected and that's the sort of personality that I believe a great player should have. He has the best new character theme in SF4 and I have lots of great memories with him.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
My style is methodical. After I learn the technical ins and outs of a game (see the answer to the next question for details), I focus almost exclusively on gaining information about my opponent and using it against them as much as possible, at least in higher level matches. At lower levels I simply play slow and steady, and usually my knowledge carries me to victory.

Regarding how I actually play the game with people, I now live in a rural part of Oregon with no FGC presence. For the moment I am ok with simply playing KI online, as it handles quite well. That said, I will not truly be happy with how I play fighters if I'm not in southern California or Japan.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
My biggest strength is my dogged use of training mode. Every loss teaches something and whatever that thing is I will find it and test the shit out of it if I don't understand it. In most of my matches, including at top level, I am usually the one who is more prepared for various scenarios due to the amount of research I do into each and every character. Of course, I also practice my combos quite a lot as well, and some might say that I have above-average execution.

My biggest weakness is that I tend to undervalue simpler tactics due to my focus on beating high-level players.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best - 9th place at EVO 2011.

Worst - Just recently, when I realized that I will probably never be satisfied with fighting games without having the best in the world to play with.
What do you want from future fighting games?
I want deep training modes (like skullgirls), well-produced tutorials (like KI), great netcode (like GGPO), and offline match recording.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
I will defer to GAF's vote on this one. Unless Apologyman counts, because he totally deserves an interview or two.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

None at the moment.​

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters t- Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - Mainly 2D, Capcom game centric hub, and probably one of, if not the largest FG community on the internet
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Xevren

Final round hype!

Can't wait to monster it up and watch some Tekken this weekend. Hopefully the new character for Ultra won't be super lame.

I'm pretty disappointed I have to work this whole weekend again. I'm gonna miss almost all of Final Round :(.

Also if we have to vote for the next player spotlight, is there a list of everyone who has gone already so we dont't vote for someone who has already went?

xCobalt

I played the first Dark Souls for like an hour. Not sure why it didn't really hook me. Probably a combination of it being frustrating and me getting lost a few times.

Coda

I played the first Dark Souls for like an hour. Not sure why it didn't really hook me. Probably a combination of it being frustrating and me getting lost a few times.

There is a big hump you gotta get over at least. Once you start pwning the beginning area it gets really fun and you discover how the world is connected. But then you hit insane areas and enemies again so it's an endless cycle of frustration and fun.

Yo Smedwicks you and I are next on the Marvel Gaf Tourney bracket. When are you free?

I'll be free tomorrow probably from maybe around 6 or 7 pm PST on, other days I'll have to see. Probably won't play Tuesday because of Dark Souls 2, lol.

The sooner the better though, if possible. I need to spend a lot of my time grinding dat Calc 2 in hopes of passing that class (it'll be a really close scrape for me).

Let's play Hurt/Heal until Sunday to decide.

Yo we GameFAQs now?

Azure J

Juicebox sounds like the kind of player I'd like to be. I like trying to get the technicalities of my characters down first then go slow before branching out. I feel like being used to every option they have leads to more moments where you'll "magically" come up with a strat or unique decision that pays off handsomely over your time playing.

At the same time, I realize lately that I'm slowly trying to move away from hyper technical characters in order to give my hands a break and use my head more. It feels easier for me that way. :lol

Silky

Banned
New thread, woop woop

Interview either Beef or Shouta. Beef seems like cool peoples

My least favorite mechanic is probably SF4's ultra combos, because it's free, unearned meter.

...Huh. That's an odd thought.

Yeah Shouta for player of week. I think he actually plays fighting games.

Also, just beat Dark Souls. Where is my sweet cinematic cutscene for the end? I light the fire and thats it?!

I think all the Mahvel heads LOVE Dark Souls because it has SO many things they get reminded of, like those Hitboxes(Spheres):

iPravnaISrOi9.gif

I need to stop talking about Dark Souls in the FGC thread god damn

Riposte

Dark Souls makes for a terrible fighting game.

EDIT: Well, I take that back: a terrible player vs. player fighting game.

We got ending spoilers for games that are not fighting games. Truly disappointing.

I didn't know that was a spoiler.

Light it again

yLu8saH.png
What? No... I died so much....

You can do it in 10, I believe in you.

HOW? I thought I was going at a good clip. Had to ask my friends for clues and tips.

Anywho, hope to hear who the new character is and that Yang/Sim gets more buffs.

fucking income taxes. filed mine yesterday and I have to pay the government. who wants to give me money? =(

edit: btw i haven't played dark souls yet (yeah i have it on steam yeah i know i'll get on that shit eventually)

de1irium

Titanfall in less than 24 hours :D

Also, as much as I agree with him I find it amusing that Juicebox, of all people, dislikes Ultras so much.

Top Bottom