• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloudbuilt | Cyborg Sonic with a rocket pack

kXL9o45.jpg

Developer: Coilworks
Twitter | Facebook

$19.99/E18.99/£14.99 on Steam (out now)
10% discount for the first week ($17.99)
---
Announcement Trailer
Overview Trailer
Launch Trailer
---
A young woman, a mysterious world and dark clouds on the horizon... welcome to Cloudbuilt.

Cloudbuilt sees quick wits and even quicker reflexes become your closest friends as you carve your own path through the mysterious floating ruins high above the clouds. A game of speed, precision and freedom, use your rocket-powered exoskeleton and manipulate the laws of physics to avoid fatal hazards, dodge hostile robots and reach not just the finish line of each stage, but the top of the worldwide leaderboards too.

Packed with progressively challenging levels, as well as all manner of shortcuts and secrets to discover, Cloudbuilt’s fast-paced competitive action will push the limits of gamers seeking a challenge time and time again.

---
  • Jaw-dropping visuals – A unique and utterly gorgeous cel-shaded art style makes the world of Cloudbuilt come alive like nothing you’ve ever seen.
  • Run, jump, fight! – Cloudbuilt combines parkour-style platforming, action-packed gunplay and the fast-paced thrills of racing against the clock to create a hugely addictive and competitive game.
  • Blaze a trail – Open level design allows you to reach each goal in all kinds of different ways. Carve your own route through any stage you like, then keep refining it to get the fastest time possible.
  • Go your own way – Players can find their own route to the finish not just through each level, but also the game; a branching story across 22 levels offer seven unique worlds and four different endings to discover.
  • Fight for supremacy – Finish stages quickly and make your mark on the global leaderboards. Find new shortcuts and use all your skill to climb as high as you can!
  • A minute to learn, a lifetime to master – Rather than making players unlock abilities, Cloudbuilt gives you everything you need right from the start. Pick up the basics immediately, then discover skills you never knew you had and put them to good use!
ss_2b3241d8f61fa46e9feb6052d3a199adc39e5660.600x338.jpg

Hype!
Awesomeoutof10
In the blink of an eye I’m sprinting down the slim path, racing toward a 20-meter-high wall that looms in front of me. There are no barriers; one false step and I will plummet to my untimely demise. I leap just before I careen into the wall, and continue my sprint straight up it. When gravity finally takes its toll and I start to slow down, a quick blast from my jet pack is enough to get me the rest of the way up. Now perched atop the wall, I’m presented with a choice.
PC Gamer
And that's why Cloudbuilt becomes hard to put down after a while. Jetpack-sprinting across walls and boosting up cliff faces looks cool, but I found greater gratification in pushing the margins to create optimal paths. Simply getting from start to finish didn’t cut it anymore. I craved perfection, and Cloudbuilt loved to dangle that achievement just out of reach. The maps offer no straight path to the top but many branching lanes to try out, and I enjoyed the choice of adding a layer of strategizing to completing a level. I certainly had the option to forego the timer and plan more carefully, but I typically found myself trying to trim a second or two from my personal best.
Dealspwn
Cloudbuilt is absolutely breathtaking in every sense of the word. Not only is this indie platformer an achingly beautiful masterclass in hand-drawn art design, but it's blisteringly fast, taking everything we know about parkour and strapping it directly onto a Saturn V rocket.
Just Push Start
Cloudbuilt is all about speed and precision. It’s a game that falls perfectly in to the “easy to pick up, difficulty to master” category. The objective in each level is to race to the end, using a variety of techniques to reach the goal in a timely manner. Demi can slide, double jump, dash, wall run (both vertically and horizontally) and boost throughout the scattered platforms contained within each environment. All of this was taught through a brief tutorial that detailed basic maneuvers and navigation. Once past this introductory section, I had to rely heavily on my reflexes, split-second decision making and a lot of trial and error to achieve favorable results. The reason for this is because there is typically more than one path that leads to the end in Cloudbuilt. Strategy is a huge part of the game, and ultimately what led to the trial and error as I attempted to figure out what worked best.
Strategy Informer
Cloudbuilt is the kind of game that grabs you immediately with its premise. Part platformer, part third person shooter and part parkour time trial racer, Cloudbuilt sees you sprinting and leaping through ruins that litter the sky as you seek to post the best time possible. Slowing you down are traps and automated defences that require a mastery of wall-running and shooting as you battle your way to the top of the online leaderboards.
ss_05b80aab111f015a3bd0425c5bcc47c926653b37.600x338.jpg

Reviews

CNBDl6a.jpg

r3n4ud

Awesome OT! Can't wait for this one tomorrow. Along with this and Broforce death match, will be a great weekend :)

Oh, and one of the developers is a GAFfer. Seriously, GAF has such amazing indie talent. Darkest Dungeon, Ghost Song, Assault Android Cactus, M.A.V., Starwhal, Cloudbuilt, and myriad others

XaosWolf

My game of show at EGX last year! =

So excited to have it releasing tomorrow, and I will be sure to wear my Coilworks tee whilst I play it.

I openly lavished praise upon it at the show, so the devs already have my love and best wishes.

Nordicus

Why not have the price on there on Steam store, and perhaps allow pre-purchases while at it?

I kinda figured the game would be close to $20, so I've got zero issues of any kind with price

If you're not sold on Cloudbuilt, the Awesomeoutof10 is probably the best hands-on preview I've read out of those articles. An excellently written moment-by-moment description of the gameplay and atmosphere

First review, as far as I can tell
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2014/03/19/review-cloudbuilt-pcsteam/

8.5/10
Cloudbuilt is a fun game that always challenges you to improve yourself and yet it never gets boring. While this game is short but replayable with it’s various modes and leaderboards, it is unyielding in making you suffer towards the final levels. Cloudbuilt will have you dying again and again in order to just complete a level, let alone try and attain a high ranking finish time. If you are looking for a game that will challenge your hand-eye coordination like none have since the days of Mega Man while having a character that plays like a jet-strapped third-person Mirror’s Edge, you have found what you are searching for. Cloudbuilt is an excellent example of what precision platforming is all about and should not be missed by anyone wanting a truly challenging experience.

Interesting facts
- No controller support (coming post-release)
- Extra challenge modifiers for levels (include everything from not having Demi’s weapon, using as little of your booster as possible, to any damage equals instant death)

Edit: this guy says 17 levels. Steam page say 22 levels. I'm inclined to believe the official page over some blogger. Given the branching story, perhaps some levels are only available in certain branches?

Tizoc

Dude give us a break. Not sure why some of you even game. $20 is fucking fantastic for what we are getting.

Well it depends on my financials really, I'm trying to avoid buying a lot during this last week of March. If I get my paycheck early, I'll most likely get it day 1, that's mainly what I meant with my post ^^;

I see this more as Mirror's Edge with an artsyle remincint of Valkyria Chronicles.
True, definitely has that fluid parkour like Mirror's Edge. But I thought mentioning Sonic was more catchy as a title, and better described the gameplay (third person not first, really fast speeds, mechanical enemies, multi-path levels, etc)

Skelter

Banned
Oh, and one of the developers is a GAFfer. Seriously, GAF has such amazing indie talent. Darkest Dungeon, Ghost Song, Assault Android Cactus, M.A.V., Starwhal, Cloudbuilt, and myriad others

Oh? Didn't know a GAFfer was on the team! One of my favorite kickstarter games I've backed.

This needs a PS4 version. NOAWH!

But yeah looks amazing. This is the type of indie title id fall over myself to play on PC. Does it have controller support?

This needs a PS4 version. NOAWH!

But yeah looks amazing. This is the type of indie title id fall over myself to play on PC. Does it have controller support?
Not yet. Devs plan to add it post-release. But according to previews, kb/m controls feel great.

I'm downloading now so I'll post impressions soon

Keasar

Its finally out of the gate. Couldn't be more happy than right now after so long working on this. :D

Why not have the price on there on Steam store, and perhaps allow pre-purchases while at it?

I kinda figured the game would be close to $20, so I've got zero issues of any kind with price
Steam advised us on not having pre-orders, and as far as I know you can't put up the price on the game without a pre-order button, apologies if that caused any confusions.

Interesting facts
- Extra challenge modifiers for levels (include everything from not having Demi’s weapon, using as little of your booster as possible, to any damage equals instant death)

Edit: this guy says 17 levels. Steam page say 22 levels. I'm inclined to believe the official page over some blogger. Given the branching story, perhaps some levels are only available in certain branches?

Yeah, as More_Badass have said, the controller support isn't in yet but we will be working on it soon after release. We haven't had it as a top priority during development since we tried it often but could never get it to something we felt was right for our game. We will implement it due to popular demand with what we thought the best solution and settings so people can tweak it as much as possible but we will really advice on using mouse and keyboard.

The reviewer had been reviewing a preview build of the game so I think it was a slight misunderstanding since not all the levels were unlocked. If you count the two tutorial levels there are a total of 22. He was sent a review copy of the game shortly afterwards his review came up, hopefully his opinion of the game didn't change for the worse for it. :)

Started playing a bit. At the moment, there's really one main issue and that's the lack of video options. You can only change the resolution, indicate fullscreen or windowed, and activate VSync.

Keasar

Started playing a bit. At the moment, there's really one main issue and that's the lack of video options. You can only change the resolution, indicate fullscreen or windowed, and activate VSync.

Programmer is saying "Will be fixed within 30 minutes!"

Nordicus

Steam advised us on not having pre-orders, and as far as I know you can't put up the price on the game without a pre-order button, apologies if that caused any confusions.
Aah well, that explains it. Didn't even notice that it seems to be the same for all indie titles

Zafir

Seems pretty fun from what I've played. My new overly sensitive mechanical keyboard isn't the best of matches mind you, keep screwing up because of it, lol.

Unfortunately I'm getting issues with the game freezing up/crashing at the end of levels. First level it just froze with the windows loading cursor but eventually unfroze, second time I wasn't as lucky and it just flat out crashed when I finished one of the second stages(called meaning).

Keasar

Seems pretty fun from what I've played. My new overly sensitive mechanical keyboard isn't the best of matches mind you, keep screwing up because of it, lol.

Unfortunately I'm getting issues with the game freezing up/crashing at the end of levels. First level it just froze with the windows loading cursor but eventually unfroze, second time I wasn't as lucky and it just flat out crashed when I finished one of the second stages(called meaning).

Steam is supposed to automatically send us crash dumps when this happens but something is not working right.

If you get a crash it would be most appreciated if you could take the crash dumps from My Documents\My Games\Coilworks\Cloudbuilt\ and send them in a email to info@coilworks.se . We will take a look at them and do our best to fix the problems.

Edit: Right, got told that players don't get the crash dumps now because it is supposed to be sent directly to us, but something is not delivering it. We will look into this.

Valkyria

Banned
Wow, looks outstanding. Hoping for a console release, because I cannot play almost any game on my old laptop.

Zafir

Steam is supposed to automatically send us crash dumps when this happens but something is not working right.

If you get a crash it would be most appreciated if you could take the crash dumps from My Documents\My Games\Coilworks\Cloudbuilt\ and send them in a email to info@coilworks.se . We will take a look at them and do our best to fix the problems.
Would do, but there isn't even anything in the dump folder. =/

First review, as far as I can tell
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2014/03/19/review-cloudbuilt-pcsteam/

8.5/10

Interesting facts

No controller support? Really?

Is controller support coming AT release or only after? I want to play this game, but I want to play with a controller
as God intended

No controller support? Really?

Is controller support coming AT release or only after? I want to play this game, but I want to play with a controller
as God intended
Yes, it's coming post release

This is from the latest changelog
More to come soon, including the addition of something we know a lot of people want… :D
That has to be controller support

Keasar

Yeah. We will implement it sometime after release once the worst bugs are gone, can't say exactly when. Of course you will be able to set the button mapping scheme to whatever you want as well if you are not happy with our own setup.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Its finally out of the gate. Couldn't be more happy than right now after so long working on this. :D

Understand if you can't answer, but did Steam give you that advice because it's better to have a bunch of people buying your game on day one to get more recognition on the charts, or was it another reason? If I'm right, it's probably good advice for a smaller game.

Keasar

Apparently there's a rather gamebreaking bug that affects some users at the moment.

The game always crashes to desktop right after choosing the first stage from the stage selection screen when you're done with the tutorial. Doesn't matter what resolutions/settings you choose.

Hopefully it'll get fixed soon, it seems like a pretty awesome game otherwise.
Its currently on the top of the list of bugs that are being worked on right now.

Understand if you can't answer, but did Steam give you that advice because it's better to have a bunch of people buying your game on day one to get more recognition on the charts, or was it another reason? If I'm right, it's probably good advice for a smaller game.
Pretty much that yeah, they advice this to most indie games if I am not mistaken, which is why you rarely see pre-order options for indie titles apart from the biggest and most well known ones.

Tuck

Any impressions of the game yet (from GAFers?)

Slightly concerned that the game isn't suited for precision, based on the videos, but I'd like to hear what people think.

Yeah. We will implement it sometime after release once the worst bugs are gone, can't say exactly when. Of course you will be able to set the button mapping scheme to whatever you want as well if you are not happy with our own setup.
This is good news! I'd never heard of this game before yesterday but it looks like a lot of fun - I just don't want to try precision platforming with a kb/m.

Uff duh

Banned
Just got home from work and tried it out. Runs good so far. But man I have to get this down my jumps are way off. But this will make me a better Titanfall player for sure. the par core is some of the best I've seen. Mirrors edge is the last time par core has been this fun. Me Gusta!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It looks nice conceptually, but I have a few questions:
1. Is a console version planned?
2. How does turning work? In the trailer it looks really abrupt, like in an fps, which doesn't seem to be so fitting for a platformer.
3. Are there (m)any places where you need to stop to hit an enemy several times? This has killed the flow in quite a few Sonic games in the past.
4. I've only seen the overview trailer, but the top speed didn't look extremely high, is there some kind of boost, or speed build up to reach more dazzling speeds?

Keasar

No console version planned as of now. I wouldn't say its impossible if we implement the controller support and people give us positive feedback about it. I can't make any promises though.

Top Bottom