• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmochoria: Naked cosmonaut arcade fun

7ZOscMX.jpg

Site
Kickstarter
Greenlight

---
Play the alpha demo here
---
Funded and Greenlit! Less than 3K to WiiU stretch goal (w/Paypal)
---
Cosmochoria is a love letter to old-school action / arcade games like Asteroids, Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong. Cosmochoria is a mesmerizing way to kill hours: hopping between planets, unravelling forgotten mysteries, killing aliens and planting seeds to sprout new life across a long-barren galaxy.

b859bb060f4943b80fa60606fa256b2a_large.gif

You play the role of a tiny pink naked cosmonaut who 'finds himself' in a distant galaxy. While no story is immediately apparent, consecutive games will begin to reveal some of the deeper mysteries surrounding the universe around you.
You are free to roam the galaxy in search of these secrets, or to remain on a single planet, establishing a home base to fight aliens and tend to your galactic garden.

Deeply inspired by the minimal cartoon simplicity of LocoRoco, Yoshi's Island, Pixel Junk, and Adventure Time, the artwork of Cosmochoria is lovingly designed to inspire a feeling of childlike play & wonder. Character designs are simple, minimal vector art illustrations that set up a light hearted & engaging mood for the game

• Patent pending Stress-o-Relaxo™ single player High Score arcade action gameplay.
  • Plant seeds to sprout new plants, new plants give more seeds. Revive a lost galaxy.
  • Build special pyramid bases to shoot down aliens while you plant.
  • Fresh electronic soundtrack by Ilkae & Zebra.
  • Procedurally generated galaxy. Each game is disorientingly unique.
  • Radical interstellar sweat-inducing boss fights.
  • Unlockable Mini-Map gadget plots your epic naked journey through the galaxy.
  • Hand Crafted HD vector illustration stylee.
  • Spend crystals at the upgrade shop to improve your abilities.
  • Discover hidden mystery items strewn across the galaxy. Combine them to unravel the true meaning of your pant-less destiny.
  • Jettison yourself through space without wearing any clothes. Let the cool vacuum of the cosmos caress your tiny naked body.
ab89dbbce344dae22f3b3906362d758a_large.gif

Cosmochoria's future
I've worked hard these past months to get the core gameplay running smoothly, with accessible controls. I knew the biggest impression I could make to set this game apart in an ocean of amazing indie games was to emphasize the originality of the gameplay with a freshly unique art style and amazing soundtrack. Most of the 'shell' of the game is done, and extensive testing has taken place by amazing volunteers worldwide to try and ensure that the real core structure and gameplay is a truly enjoyable experience.

Now that I'm confident with where the game sits, it's time to start adding layers of depth & polish that will send Cosmochoria to the next level. Here are some of the features you would be making happen by backing this Kickstarter project:

• Tons more enemies in the same illustrative style.
  • More dope music? Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.
  • Mysterious story & lore hidden throughout the cosmos.
  • Bosses exploding out the galactic wahzoo!
  • Alternate weapon types, all upgradeable.
  • Additional towers to satisfy your inner strategic warlord.
  • Pants! + other unlockable costumes for our hero, Cosmo.
  • Pieces of an unassembled 'SuperWeapon' scattered throughout the galaxy.
  • Rankings based on your overall statistics. (kills, seeds planted, etc)
  • Leaderboards to compare your scores with the world.
  • Steam Achievements—once we've been Greenlit, of course!

6d716aac18f48180118f479adf032b36_large.gif

What IndieGAF thinks
Toma said:
This game is even in PRE alpha and already among the best games this month. Incredibly charming plant growing, through-the-universe-zipping tower defense game. The game already works perfectly fine and you can already spent quite a while in this world, even though its clear that they still need to add more content to allow for more different plants/uses/building structures/planet layouts/dangers. The game even has some progress elements, where you can earn resources for which you can upgrade your skills that you can carry over between different runs.

Already very cool and a very good, smaller Indie game at v0.064, cant wait to see in which direction this is heading.

daydreaming said:
Cosmochoria: I'd call this a planetoid defense game, sort of like Kosmo Spin on iOS, with less head-juggling, obviously. You're planting seeds on this small planet, restoring life to it, while defending against alien invaders. I was enjoying my time with Cosmochoria, thought I would make a gif, then this happened:
cosmo.gif8bsg7.gif

Didn't expect that you'd able to go outside of the atmosphere, haha. Now I'm hopelessly drifting in space. Pretty sure you can start anew on other planets, but I'll leave that for another time.

Cosmochoria: played it for a bit and I loved it, The game is gorgeous and pretty simple from what I played, plant trees, build things and make the planets happy. I didn't notice too much variation in the enemies but as U said I only played it for a short time, talking about the enemies one is a homage to a famous character from a classic game.
---
If I wasn't so lazy to make a list of the best games of the month Cosmochoria could figure in the top along Nothing to Hide. I already wrote my opinions about the game early in the thread so I'll be short, fun game, ton of content, lovely art and music and addicting gameplay.

Stretch Goals
Meeting the $10,000 goal means I am able to complete Cosmochoria as I had initially intended: a simple, fun, arcade game that you can lose hours on, challenge your friends with, and come back to for years to come. That being said, I've been listening to what you guys have been saying when you try out the alpha version.. I have been paying attention to the comments on the Steam Greenlight page, and reading between the lines when I get feedback from press and other developers. I know deep down the potential this little game has, and am confident in establishing some stretch goals that would really put the development of Cosmochoria over the top.

If the funded amount exceeds the initial $10,000, here are some additional milestones that, if reached, will bring our epic space adventure to whole new dimensions.

ce0ee402ec9fd766747d9120165f59b1_large.jpg

teeny

Saw that the Kickstarter had gone live in the indie thread. Backed immediately after playing the pre alpha. Hope the goal is met and the game sells millions :)

Toma, I love your video and channel. You guys have exposed me to some bloody great games I probably wouldn't have heard about otherwise, so thanks :)

Even who don't plan to back the project should play the alpha, it doesn't feel incomplete and I believe mostly of the core gameplay is already implemented and the controls are precise.

besada

Banned
I played the demo of this and really enjoyed it. I'll likely wait until it makes it to one of the consoles, but it's really relaxing and enjoyable to play.

mantrakid

Huge love to Toma and More_Badass for their amazing support in helping me spread awareness of the game. These guys don't owe me (or anyone) anything, but do an amazing job of spreading awareness of the indie community. It's astonishing. Thank you!

I played the demo of this and really enjoyed it. I'll likely wait until it makes it to one of the consoles, but it's really relaxing and enjoyable to play.

Wordup, thanks for checking the game out!! I really appreciate it! I'd love to rock this on my Vita. :D

Even who don't plan to back the project should play the alpha, it doesn't feel incomplete and I believe mostly of the core gameplay is already implemented and the controls are precise.

You are an angel, thank you :) I didnt want to launch anything until that raw gameplay felt somewhat fun. I cant wait till all the juicy bits are in there, it's going to be mind blowing. :)

Saw that the Kickstarter had gone live in the indie thread. Backed immediately after playing the pre alpha. Hope the goal is met and the game sells millions :)

Thank you so so much for your support, it's mind blowing to simply be in touch with peeps who are into this bit of weirdness I'm making, let alone believe in it enough to stand with me. :) I am in your debt.. i owe you a killer game. :) <3

daydream

Banned
Welp, I really hope this will do well. One of my favourite indies in a while (easy to gather from my glowing impressions over at the indie thread). I might even break my personal "no KS backing" rule for this.

Best of luck, mantrakid, IndieGAF is rooting for this! KS page is one of the slickest I've seen btw, good job. :D

Mr-Joker

Banned
Mmm I might get this game if it hit its Wii U Stretch goal, I wouldn't say no if I could play as a naked space woman. ;)

mantrakid

You guys rock - i have nothing but love for NeoGAF homies - ive never felt such a warm reception you guys took me from being a dirty outsider stalking lurker to truly feeling like one of the crew in the matter of a month.

Thanks for all your support and kind words. Im so honoured you guys are liking the direction of the game.. JUST WAIT TILL SHE'S DONE!!! :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I just read the tiers, so yeah guys. We need to get that 40k goal down :p

A bit more sincere question if you dont mind answering this. Why does it take 100k to make the game ps3&vita compatible (aka the last tier). Thats like 50 months of porting with 2k payment, is that how long it would take to port it over for a single person?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, man, how much do I wish to pledge for this game. It looks amazing! Very creative gameplay too!

I wish you the best, mantrakid, you surely deserve it. When I get the money, but I doubt it's going to happen before the KS ends, I will purchase the game... For my Vita and PS4, so you guys better pledge and pledge a lot. Or else!

mantrakid

I just read the tiers, so yeah guys. We need to get that 40k goal down :p

A bit more sincere question if you dont mind answering this. Why does it take 100k to make the game ps3&vita compatible (aka the last tier). Thats like 50 months of porting with 2k payment, is that how long it would take to port it over for a single person?

If I am going PS4/Vita route, I'm almost 100% positive I need to re-code the game from scratch in Unity. That's the bottom line, really. So the current build acts as a prototype / design documentation only, and I would need to invest in programmers to help me take things to unity for porting.

So that additional 100k factors that in. Also just releasing / porting to PS4/PSvita means I have a version capable of playing on those devices, but there would be MOUNTAINS of additional testing required, and things to factor in that have not much to do with the game itself but the control scheme, ps4 features, etc.

Plus, just having a PS4 Port does not mean it will sell. There is $ budgeted in that stage of the game that would go towards a PR Company / Advertising / Customer Support / Follow up development and bug fixes, etc. Essentially it's intended as a somewhat rough but realistic "launch" amount... not necessarily just a 'port/development' amount.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If I am going PS4/Vita route, I'm almost 100% positive I need to re-code the game from scratch in Unity. That's the bottom line, really. So the current build acts as a prototype / design documentation only, and I would need to invest in programmers to help me take things to unity for porting.

So that additional 100k factors that in. Also just releasing / porting to PS4/PSvita means I have a version capable of playing on those devices, but there would be MOUNTAINS of additional testing required, and things to factor in that have not much to do with the game itself but the control scheme, ps4 features, etc.

Plus, just having a PS4 Port does not mean it will sell. There is $ budgeted in that stage of the game that would go towards a PR Company / Advertising / Customer Support / Follow up development and bug fixes, etc. Essentially it's intended as a somewhat rough but realistic "launch" amount... not necessarily just a 'port/development' amount.

Ah, I see. Didnt mean to be rude, but its nice to see these costs explained a litte, Would go a long way for some of the other kickstarter backlashes. Thanks for the answer :)

mantrakid

Ah, I see. Didnt mean to be rude, but its nice to see these costs explained a litte, Would go a long way for some of the other kickstarter backlashes. Thanks for the answer :)

Toma, not rude at all!! Actually, very very thoughtful question and I am glad to try and explain my rationality behind it.

Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions, I am truly in your debt! You deserve answers, and it would be ridiculous to not be as transparent as possible with you guys & girls for literally making my dreams happen.

Toma

Toma, not rude at all!! Actually, very very thoughtful question and I am glad to try and explain my rationality behind it.

Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions, I am truly in your debt! You deserve answers, and it would be ridiculous to not be as transparent as possible with you guys & girls for literally making my dreams happen.

Well we dont know yet if they will actually happen, but funding is looking decent so far :) Prepare for the inevitable drought period in a few days though if none of the bigger indie outlets pick it up, but maybe 20k might not be impossible.

Speaking of which, did you throw a message around? IndieGames.com, Indiestatik and whatnot.

Well we dont know yet if they will actually happen, but funding is looking decent so far :) Prepare for the inevitable drought period in a few days though if none of the bigger indie outlets pick it up, but maybe 20k might not be impossible.

Speaking of which, did you throw a message around? IndieGames.com, Indiestatik and whatnot.
Well, RPS already did a little article on the game

mantrakid

Yup ive got backup at Indiegames.com they'll have an article up soon, same with indiestatik those dudes are killer. Also in talks with a PR company that might help push things to another level.

This shits so fun hahah. :D

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
OK this looks amazing. I hope we can somehow get to that ps4 goal. Ive never invested in a kickstarter. This might be my first one.

Toma

So glad to hear you dig that. My fav. part too. :) we're gonna have a little forest on earth just for us!!!!!!!!

Mantra gmbh in 30 years:
You know how this all started. A small, humble game project that eventually developed into bigger things for a now accomplished videogame publisher. And this is how those humble beginnings look today:
*insert photo of forest*

MThanded

Donated. I will spread the word. Loved the demo. Got my office mates hooked too. I see a lot of potential in this game.

Love the concept. Will stay home tonight and donate what I would have spent on drinks on this project instead. Going to start drinking and will donate $7 per drink until I call it a night :D

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yup ive got backup at Indiegames.com they'll have an article up soon, same with indiestatik those dudes are killer. Also in talks with a PR company that might help push things to another level.

This shits so fun hahah. :D

That's what matters the most! If you love what you're doing then it's awesome all around for everyone.

Hmm...I came in here expecting lots of old Soviet iconography. Does the developer not know that a 'cosmonaut' is specifically a Russian astronaut? Looks interesting though, reminds me vaguely of the old Mac game Escape Velocity.

mantrakid

Hmm...I came in here expecting lots of old Soviet iconography. Does the developer not know that a 'cosmonaut' is specifically a Russian astronaut? Looks interesting though, reminds me vaguely of the old Mac game Escape Velocity.

Not necessarily, Russians would also call an american astronaut a cosmonaut. Just as we might say "russian astronaut".

Besides, its a buck naked dude shooting lasers at tentacle monsters on planets the size of a house, its not about reality :)

Thanks for checking the game, dude, and to the great feedback in this thread - it means a lot to have all of your amazing support. You guys & girls are the very definition of &#1089;&#1086;&#1086;&#1073;&#1097;&#1077;&#1089;&#1090;&#1074;&#1086; :)

mantrakid

By the way, NeoGAF is holding it down with 13 pledges -- thats more than even my facebook posts (friends / family) and even more than rockpapershotgun.com has spurred on.. (9)

You guys are the bees mutha fuckin knees.

MThanded

By the way, NeoGAF is holding it down with 13 pledges -- thats more than even my facebook posts (friends / family) and even more than rockpapershotgun.com has spurred on.. (9)

You guys are the bees mutha fuckin knees.
I'm spreading the good word as much as I can. This deserves to be funded.

takoyaki

Thanks for making the thread, it's been a while since i've seen a game and actually liked everything about it. It has a great art-style, the music gives me FEZ-vibes and the gameplay looks original and fun. Backed.

edit: a picture of the tshirt would probably get me to pledge more, just saying ;-)

mantrakid

Takoyaki, tshirt pic is coming - ill post a major update on April 7th with the T-shirt art - gotta save something for those lulls once everyone on the whole planet who ever wanted this game have already pledged and things seem slow. :)

Just kidding, im still working my ass off on making it look as good as I can.

Thank you so much for your support, homies. My heart has been going double time since it launched.

HoosTrax

Love the concept. I remember playing Edmund McMillen's game Aether, and wishing for something that expanded on that fairly short, but whimsical, space exploration idea.

Kangi

I've lost my night to playing the pre-alpha demo. I've taken to actually doing things in it in a different tab, since the preview doesn't seem to save the actual planets, and I've grown too much of a sentimental attachment to my little solar system to risk losing it. I may have a problem.

My feedback so far is just that this game is looking to be great. And those dragons' fireballs are deafeningly obnoxious in the preview.

I'll make a pledge some time tomorrow.

Takoyaki, tshirt pic is coming - ill post a major update on April 7th with the T-shirt art - gotta save something for those lulls once everyone on the whole planet who ever wanted this game have already pledged and things seem slow. :)

Just kidding, im still working my ass off on making it look as good as I can.

Thank you so much for your support, homies. My heart has been going double time since it launched.

Well, I will try and do everything I can to help!

Top Bottom