• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Entertainment files trademark for "Overwatch"

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On the 1st of April, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. filed a trademarked for "Overwatch". It was entered in the Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) of USPTO on the 4th of April. It's a basic 1B filing (Application Based on Intent to Use) for computer game software mainly. As below:

Word Mark OVERWATCH
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software, computer game discs, downloadable computer game programs, computer game software downloadable from a global computer network, electronic games software for wireless devices, interactive multimedia computer game programs, mousepads, computer mouses, headsets for use with computers, computer keyboards
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86239314
Filing Date April 1, 2014
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 16215 Alton Parkway Irvine CALIFORNIA 92618
Attorney of Record Rod A. Rigole
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86239314&docId=APP20140404074104#docIndex=0&page=1

A basic search on what overwatch means leads to two results. One is basically "to watch over" (something), the other is a military term as defined below:

overwatch - A tactical technique in which one element is positioned to support by fire the movement of another element by observing known or suspected enemy locations and engaging the enemy if he is visible or tries to fire on the friendly element. The overwatching element must be told if it is to destroy, suppress, or fix the enemy.
Source: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/army/docs/fm101-5-1/f545-no.htm#overwatch

New game or expansion? Diablo III: Overwatch maybe?

Yuuichi

Valve might stop this one since they've been using a system called "Overwatch" in CS:GO for a while now that allows players in well standing to review problematic demos to help root out cheaters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They have a Hearthstone sized game team making a title lead by one of the leads from Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead.

Given they have roles that sounds like things fit for making a multiplayer shooter (dedicated weapons artist on a small team, sketch out maps on paper level designer), I think this might be that.

It's explicitly listed as a competitive multiplayer game in the postings too.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Kind of hoping they go back to the Games Workshop pool of ideas and make a Space Hulk clone.

They have a Hearthstone sized game team making a title lead by one of the leads from Counter-Strike and Left 4 Dead.

Given they have roles that sounds like things fit for making a multiplayer shooter (dedicated weapons artist on a small team, sketch out maps on paper level designer), I think this might be that.

Beaten, but this is my best guess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If true, I look forward to this and more smaller games from Blizzard. Hearthstone is awesome, so I'm definitely excited.
Well we know the Hearthstone sized team is true: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=13000JU

Blizzard’s newest game team is looking for someone to join its ranks as lead producer. With Hearthstone, Blizzard has revived its tradition of creating small and nimble game teams and we are following in those footsteps. As part of our team, you will join in the leadership of a small but mighty band of developers and exert your talents to help craft our processes, organization, goals and execution.

Loxley

Hearthstone has been working out very well for Blizzard, so I'm not surprised at all that they're working on other small projects with smaller teams. Power to'em.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Update: There apparently was a second filing (a 1A filing, Application Based on Use in Commerce), under the following G&S:

Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing on-line computer games; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network. FIRST USE: 20110610. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20110610
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86239318&docId=APP20140404074107#docIndex=0&page=1

The specimen provided links to this: http://www.kongregate.com/games/alejandrog/overwatch

Mondy

Banned
That sounds very unBlizzard esque.

Too bad I'm not at all interested because all of Blizzards best talent have departed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Blizzard's Borderlands, fo sho.
94gzsirn8vmlajs1xrtmmo8uw.336x199x43.gif

Ambient80

Too bad I'm not at all interested because all of Blizzards best talent have departed.

Eh, I think this might be overstated a bit. The D3 expansion is excellent and improved the game on basically all fronts by a huge leap. Hearthstone is doing very well and a lot of folks are seriously enjoying it. The latest (released) WoW expansion was very well received (hard to judge from player numbers though since the game has been out for almost ten years). If anything I'd say Blizzard is starting to return to their height. They're not there yet, but it's an upward trend, for sure.

Finaj

Many members of Blizzard's former teams went on to makes some of the biggest disasters in gaming (Ex. Hellgate: London and Firefall).

Syf

Banned
I think Blizzard is slowly regaining form. Its latest efforts have been excellent, aside from the desperate need for a Protoss redesign and changed approach to esports.

About Overwatch.. I'm dreaming of a Borderlands-style game in the Starcraft universe. That would make me all hot and bothered.

belushy

Banned

Interest rising...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Btw what exactly is Blizzard trying to do with those documents with regards to the kongregate site?
Yeah, what I'm wondering. Seems very strange. I wonder who this AlejandroG is and if he has any affiliation to Blizzard.

Skab

Why are people suddenly bringing up Borderlands? That's quite the leap.

But whatever this is, I wonder if we will see it announced at Blizzcon this year? Here's hoping.

A turn-based tactical game of some sort. Probably set in the Starcraft universe?

Ooooh that would be nice.

Overwatch makes me think of the game Space Hulk, and using a turn or two to have a Space Marine covering a hallway and shooting at anything that moves.

Top Bottom