• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the Wii U Gamepad have extra lag for Virtual Console games?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I just bought my first Wii U Virtual Console game (Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels). While trying it out on the Gamepad, I couldn't help but feel as if the game was less responsive than it should be. SMB2J is a game that I'm pretty familiar with and played a lot on the original Wii VC, and I currently have an original NES with SMB1 hooked up to a CRT TV, so it's easy for me to cross-check with original hardware. And after doing so, SMB2J definitely seems to be a bit off on the Gamepad.

While I consider input lag to be a pretty big deal, it usually isn't obvious to me and detrimental to my gameplay unless it exceeds 2 frames. And by all accounts, the Gamepad has been lauded for having extremely low latency compared to typical TVs; the only measurements I've seen in reviews peg it at about 1 frame. This kind of puzzled me, as it would imply that either the Wii U Virtual Console has pretty lousy and laggy emulation overall, or that the Gamepad performs worse with Virtual Console games than it does with native Wii U games. I tried to research the issue online but couldn't really find anything conclusive, so I decided to do some testing of my own.

I hooked the Wii U up to a CRT VGA monitor, using component cables, 480p resolution settings, and an XRGB-3 in B1 mode to bridge the gap from component to VGA. The XRGB-3 adds approximately 1ms-to-2ms of lag, which is a fraction of a single frame and pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. These are the only means I have at my disposal to hook the system up to a CRT in progressive scan, as I have no CRTs with component inputs. Then I held up the Gamepad next to the monitor and recorded some test footage with both screens in the shot to see how much the Gamepad lags behind the CRT. Unfortunately, the only camera I have on hand maxes out at 30fps, which means that the footage is less precise than I'd like it to be on these particular 60fps games, but I think what I've captured is still useful.

First, I loaded Super Mario 3D World to check the performance on a retail Wii U game. Here's a short frame-by-frame capture (at 30fps) of the start of Mario's jump:

gamepadlag_sm3dw_1.jpg

Frame 1: Mario's feet are planted firmly on the ground. The jump button is pressed.

gamepadlag_sm3dw_2.jpg

Frame 2: On the CRT, Mario's feet have left the ground slightly and there's a slight puff of smoke beneath him to indicate movement. The Gamepad is lagging behind a little bit, but you can see that he's started to move and that the puff of smoke is partially visible. The last frame of his standing animation seems to be interpolated with the first frame of his jumping animation (again, a consequence of capturing a 60fps game with a 30fps camera).

gamepadlag_sm3dw_3.jpg

Frame 3: Mario has completely left the ground on both screens. The Gamepad is a little behind, but not by much. In this snapshot, the Gamepad appears to be displaying the same frames of animation that the CRT is in the current and previous shots blurred together.

I recorded several jumps like this, and the results for all of them looked pretty consistent with this example. The Gamepad isn't that far behind the CRT: maybe 1, not more than 2 frames (at 60fps). Definitely seems to corroborate the Gamepad's reputation for low latency video streaming.

Then I tried the same thing with The Lost Levels:

gamepadlag_smb2j_1.jpg

Frame 1: Mario grounded. The jump button is pressed.

gamepadlag_smb2j_2.jpg

Frame 2: Mario has completely left the ground on the CRT. He's still planted firmly in place on the Gamepad. No motion blur in this shot.

gamepadlag_smb2j_3.jpg

Frame 3: Mario can still be seen on the ground in the Gamepad shot, 2 frames after the start of this example. In each jump I captured in 3DW, it never took more than 1 shot before some movement was seen on the Gamepad. This would seem to indicate that Lost Levels is actually suffering from more delay than 3D World on the Gamepad. I captured several jumps in this game as well, and again, this behavior was pretty consistent throughout all of them.

gamepadlag_smb2j_4.jpg

Frame 4: Mario finally clears the ground in both shots.

Then I decided to capture some shots of the timer in both games:

In SM3DW, every time the clock dropped by 1 second on the CRT, it also dropped by 1 second on the Gamepad...

In fact, out of the several dozen transitions that I captured, only in this one can you kind of see that the Gamepad has a slight after-image of the previous number in the middle shot.

Then I did the same in SMB2J, and every transition was like this in the several dozen that I captured, with the Gamepad always taking 1 extra snapshot before catching up.

So, what gives? On one hand, I'm thankful that the Virtual Console itself doesn't seem to be extremely laggy (when played from the TV), but on the other, I'm still puzzled that the Gamepad seems to perform worse on the VC than for regular Wii U games. If anybody could link me some more thorough testing on this stuff or perhaps some precise 60fps or greater footage of their own, I'd very much appreciate it. I'd like to know exactly how big the difference is.

ALM5252

I want to say that since you are using a CRT and not an HD TV, the lag is noticeable. HD TV's seem to have button lag / image lag compared to CRTs. That's why people who play Smash Bros. Melee stick to CRT TV's rather than play on an HD TV.

I've also noticed the lag when playing Project M on the Gamepad. I mess up a lot! I can feel and notice the lag only in that game.

Sixfortyfive

I want to say that since you are using a CRT and not an HD TV, the lag is noticeable.
The only flatscreen I ever play on is a PC monitor with half a frame of lag. I don't waste my money on laggy displays.

And the Gamepad doesn't feel iffy to me on games like SM3DW or NSMBU. So far it's only been apparent to me on my first Virtual Console game, and I wanted to set out and see if there's actually something to that, if I was just imagining things, or if it's just a case of very slight Gamepad lag coupled with very slight emulation lag that adds up into something noticeable.

Oddly enough, I just noticed this today as well, when posting an image to the Miiverse for Super Mario World:

QazVpMK.jpg

The numbers flash different colors, but obviously the Gamepad screen seems to be a frame behind the TV. This also proves it's not an issue with TVs, it's an issue with the Wii U itself.

Robin64

I actually did think something felt just ever so slightly odd when I played Super Mario World on the GamePad. I quickly adjusted, but I've played that game so much that I did noticed something. A bit weird that it's only in the emulators. Like, why not just use the same screen-mirroring API or whatever that they use in their normal games?

jimi_dini

I wanted to set out and see if there's actually something to that, if I was just imagining things, or if it's just a case of very slight Gamepad lag coupled with very slight emulation lag that adds up into something noticeable.

Do you have equipment, that could capture 120 frames per second? Maybe the gamepad is actually 1/2 frame behind or something like that. Would be interesting to know if it's exactly 1 frame. Also is your Wii U sending progressive out or is it interleaved?

The only flatscreen I ever play on is a PC monitor with half a frame of lag. I don't waste my money on laggy displays.

Could you make comparisons between video of your flatscreen and the gamepad too?

Sixfortyfive

Oddly enough, I just noticed this today as well, when posting an image to the Miiverse for Super Mario World:

QazVpMK.jpg

The numbers flash different colors, but obviously the Gamepad screen seems to be a frame behind the TV. This also proves it's not an issue with TVs, it's an issue with the Wii U itself.
Can you explain this photo? Is the screenshot with green numbers a direct capture of what the console sends to the TV, while the screenshot with the red numbers a direct capture of what the console sends to the Gamepad at the same moment?

I'd imagine pretty much everything would have lag compared to a CRT.
Read the OP. The point of this thread is determining why VC games seem to be lagging more than other games.

Do you have equipment, that could capture 120 frames per second? Maybe the gamepad is actually 1/2 frame behind or something like that. Would be interesting to know if it's exactly 1 frame.
I don't have a camera that does better than 30fps. That's why I made this thread. I want to know if anyone has done more precise testing.

Also is your Wii U sending progressive out or is it interleaved?

Could you make comparisons between video of your flatscreen and the gamepad too?
The Wii U is 480p. (I stated as much in the OP.) I don't really think the LCD monitor would be relevant.

Can you explain this photo? Is the screenshot with green numbers a direct capture of what the console sends to the TV, while the screenshot with the red numbers a direct capture of what the console sends to the Gamepad?

The image is what happens when you push the guide button and go to the Miiverse to post a screenshot.

The top screenshot is what's being displayed on the TV, the bottom screenshot is what's being displayed on the Gamepad. They are images the Wii U grabs from itself, so that's about as direct as direct capture gets.

But, obviously, what's being displayed on the TV and what's being displayed on the Gamepad aren't synchronized like they should be.

Sixfortyfive

The image is what happens when you push the guide button and go to the Miiverse to post a screenshot.

The top screenshot is what's being displayed on the TV, the bottom screenshot is what's being displayed on the Gamepad. They are images the Wii U grabs from itself, so that's about as direct as direct capture gets.

But, obviously, what's being displayed on the TV and what's being displayed on the Gamepad aren't synchronized like they should be.
Can you do the same thing on a retail Wii U game, and if so, have you ever noticed such a game being similarly out of sync?

nynt9

I agree with you OP. I can pull off wall jumps very easily without the gamepad on Super Metroid, but when playing on the gamepad they're very difficult. Since wall jumping in SM has only a few frames, I'd say this has to do with frame lag.

I don't experience this issue in non-VC games, which is in line with your post.

Modern games like 3d World take input lag in account in their design, making it sorta less noticeable, with characters having more inertia, reactions being less twitchy, etc.

I have my WiiU connected both to my plasma via hdmi and to my 21" sd crt via scart rgb. Lag is noticeable on the gamepad compared to the crt and quite exactly on par, maybe just an infitesimal bit slower, with the plasma (which is said to be 16ms).

Sixfortyfive

Modern games like 3d World take input lag in account in their design, making it sorta less noticeable, with characters having more inertia, reactions being less twitchy, etc.
Even if that was true in the case of these specific games (it's not), how a game "feels" is almost 100% irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I want to know why the Gamepad's display seems to lag by approximately 1 frame on 3D World, but 2 frames on Lost Levels. That's it. Can it be attributed to the margin of error of my 30fps camera, or is there an actual performance difference on Virtual Console games? Can anybody do some more precise testing? If there is no difference on the Gamepad, then why does SMB2J specifically feel more sluggish than normal, while the retail games feel fine? Is there measurable delay in the VC emulation itself (which would apply to both the TV and the Gamepad), and/or am I just having an off day?

Sega1991's posts are instructive. I want to find a retail Wii U game with a visual effect that clearly alternates every 1/60th of a second, and see if I can produce a Miiverse snapshot that is de-synced in the same way.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of that same effect in SMB2J. When you take damage, Mario's sprite blinks on and off on every successive frame. In the top shot (TV), he's invisible, while on the bottom (Gamepad), he's visible, indicating that the two screengrabs are from different frames.

gamepadlag_smb2j_8.jpg

Now I just want to find a similar effect on a retail Wii U game with off-TV play and see if it produces the same result.

Can you do the same thing on a retail Wii U game, and if so, have you ever noticed such a game being similarly out of sync?

I do not own any Wii U retail games with simultaneous output, but the Trine 2 demo does it. And thanks to the way the Wii U works, we can just dump images directly off the console (by uploading them to an image sharing website; I use Sta.sh) and compare the exact same moment in time as seen on the Gamepad and the TV.

So, Trine 2:

Here's the TV:
PPXnaRz.jpg

And here's the Gamepad:
janAY4i.jpg

Overlaying the two on top of each other, we can see that they are nearly identical:

EOo2Zyu.gif

The HUD is in a different position, but the wizard himself is in the exact same frame of animation he is on the TV. They are synchronized.

If we do this with Super Mario World on the Virtual Console...

TV
2Z3ea4g.jpg

Gamepad
0KZ2Vaw.jpg

Comparison:
ABvR9mP.gif

I also tried it with the only other VC game I own, Mega Man X:

KzoRU3E.gif

In short: You're right. I don't know how to figure out exactly how much, but there seems to be 1-2 frames of lag between what the Wii U Virtual Console is showing on the TV and what it's showing on the Gamepad. In particular, the Gamepad seems to be the one lagging behind. And judging by Trine 2, it doesn't seem to effect retail games.

doofy102

OP, I am unable to help but thanks for this informative topic mate. I wonder if SNES emulation is like this.

edit: damn, thanks for answering that sega1991

JoeM86

That's odd. For practically everything, I have noticed the exact inverse. GamePad first, then TV. I thought it was actually accepted as the standard. Even on SNES games, and GBA games. Could just be because CRTs have no form of processing while LCD etc. do

That's odd. For practically everything, I have noticed the exact inverse. GamePad first, then TV. I thought it was actually accepted as the standard. Even on SNES games, and GBA games. Could just be because CRTs have no form of processing while LCD etc. do
In light of the earlier posts, yeah, it probably means your TV adds even more lag than the gamepad does.

Well it's not just my TV, it's everyones. It was widely reported as being this way. I guess it's because very few people have CRTs anymore

Look at Sega1991's post, Wii U is sending different frames to TV and the gamepad when playing Virtual Console games but not when playing native games.

Leninpest

Do the GBA games show similar lagging? I'm wondering if this is the hurdle with Virtual Console that Iwata was talking about and maybe M2 was able to solve it. It might not seem too bad in some of the simpler NES/SNES games, but it might be pretty noticeable with Mario 64, say.

Does Trine 2 run at 60 fps on Wii U?

Hm. No it doesn't. It's 30fps.

The Wonderful 101 demo has simultaneous output if you fiddle with the settings, and it's 60fps:

TV
RebgO3s.jpg

Gamepad
lhy3xIr.jpg

Comparison
PETq1qE.gif

Both TV and Gamepad images are identical. This is a problem that only effects VC games.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Looking at the Trine comparison, maybe the reason is, that on VC, a system feature for mirroring is used which copies the buffer of the TV output to the GamePad output, whereas for Super Mario 3D World and Trine, the game itself fills both buffers with the same image - maybe also a reason DKCTF does not offer mirror mode, because a 1-frame-lag (using the "free" mirroring the OS might offer) would be a problem there and rendering the image twice could well be beyond the Wii U's technical capabilities. Just a theory though, I'm not working on Wii U games and do not know the ways the system works.

Coming from the other side, is it possible that in all other games, the TV output is delayed slightly? The GamePad streaming is a technical marvel, no doubt, but I don't quite buy that the compression, wireless sending, decompression, and display of the stream provides CRT-calibre latency, as the 3D World example in the OP suggests.

I'm actually need of getting a new display. How do PC monitors compare with CRTVs in terms of input delay?

When I bought both my TV and my Monitor, I used this website:

http://www.displaylag.com/

It's a huge list of displays rated by their actual response time (what companies print on the box isn't always true). I'm currently using an Asus VE208. It's only 20" but its rated by that site as having 11ms response time, which for the $120 I paid for it was a steal.

Looking at the Trine comparison, maybe the reason is, that on VC, a system feature for mirroring is used which copies the buffer of the TV output to the GamePad output, whereas for Super Mario 3D World and Trine, the game itself fills both buffers with the same image - maybe also a reason DKCTF does not offer mirror mode, because a 1-frame-lag (using the "free" mirroring the OS might offer) would be a problem there and rendering the image twice could well be beyond the Wii U's technical capabilities. Just a theory though, I'm not working on Wii U games and do not know the ways the system works.

Yeah, knowing nothing about the system I'd also guess that this is a difference between the game mirroring the output vs. the OS doing it. Though I'd hope a game could also just render the scene once and then save it in both buffers (downscaling it for the gamepad).

HUELEN10

Maybe they did this on purpose to make shitty laggy TVs not look as bad? Thankfully, my Gamepad and tv perceptively lag the same, even audio in the eshop and shit like that syncs up perfectly.

Roto13

I do not own any Wii U retail games with simultaneous output, but the Trine 2 demo does it. And thanks to the way the Wii U works, we can just dump images directly off the console (by uploading them to an image sharing website; I use Sta.sh) and compare the exact same moment in time as seen on the Gamepad and the TV.

So, Trine 2:

Here's the TV:
http://i.imgur.com/PPXnaRz.jpg[IMG]

And here's the Gamepad:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/janAY4i.jpg[/MG]

Overlaying the two on top of each other, we can see that they are nearly identical:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EOo2Zyu.gif[IMG]

The HUD is in a different position, but the wizard himself is in the exact same frame of animation he is on the TV. They are synchronized.

If we do this with Super Mario World on the Virtual Console...

TV
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2Z3ea4g.jpg[IMG]

Gamepad
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0KZ2Vaw.jpg[IMG]

Comparison:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ABvR9mP.gif[IMG]

I also tried it with the only other VC game I own, Mega Man X:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KzoRU3E.gif[IMG]

In short: You're right. I don't know how to figure out exactly how much, but there seems to be 1-2 frames of lag between what the Wii U Virtual Console is showing on the TV and what it's showing on the Gamepad. In particular, the Gamepad seems to be the one lagging behind. And judging by Trine 2, it doesn't seem to effect retail games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed this when playing Mega Man X, too, when I was going to make a Miiverse post. It's so weird that the lag happens before the image is even sent to the TV.

[IMG]http://i3.minus.com/iPtIWYXzCU9Zs.jpg

iJvRkL2zNzXJQ.jpg

sonto340

This is interesting.
Does it have something to do with the way the the games are emulated I wonder?

I've never noticed, because in the room where I keep the WiiU, I have a crappy Vizio with ~35ms lag, so the gamepad is always a little faster to me.
I'm tempted to go get my CRT out so I can do some proper comparisons myself now..

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I knew something was off when I was playing super mario world on the gamepad, and this confirms i'm not crazy!

McSpidey

I really hope Nintendo see this - I tweeted them a link to the Aussie branch but doubt it will have much impact. Surely they can fix it, then games will feel awesome on the gamepad.

doofy102

When I bought both my TV and my Monitor, I used this website:

http://www.displaylag.com/

It's a huge list of displays rated by their actual response time (what companies print on the box isn't always true). I'm currently using an Asus VE208. It's only 20" but its rated by that site as having 11ms response time, which for the $120 I paid for it was a steal.

Thanks for the info guys. It turns out now I'm being given this one for free - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824252008

I know 5mms isn't the best, but how does that fare? Would some cable/adapters give me better speeds than others or is it all the same? (will be using a Wii U and PS3 on it)

djlr181

Has anyone tried the same test with any of the new GBA VC titles? Wonder if M2 being in charge of those VC titles might show different results.

Converse

Banned
Hm. I'm going to have to see if this affects my game in Punch-Out. Probably not.
Because I suck at Punch-Out.

Broritos

Unfortunate for VC but god damn. I knew the gamepad was faster than most HDTV's but I wouldn't think it would be so fast that it can almost catch up to a CRT. That's fucking crazy.

I know it's not the point of this topic but...god damn.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Coming from the other side, is it possible that in all other games, the TV output is delayed slightly? The GamePad streaming is a technical marvel, no doubt, but I don't quite buy that the compression, wireless sending, decompression, and display of the stream provides CRT-calibre latency, as the 3D World example in the OP suggests.

Wouldn't that mean that there would be some input lag from the controller?

NewGame

Banned
I have noticed input delay for Monster Hunter Ultimate, a significant 0.3ms delay. But the 3DS version is fine and has no delay- this is probably just Crapcom failing to make something work correctly because it's the only WiiU title that has the issue. Virtual console I am not to sure about, I don't use the WiiU for VC titles.

Stuff like Little Inferno, Miiverse and the Internet Explorer all have a 1:1 reaction with input.

Wouldn't that mean that there would be some input lag from the controller?

Yes. All the latency tests I've seen of the Wii U tend to focus on the delay between the two displays, rather than the lag between the button press and the result.

Not saying I think this is what's happening here - it's just a possibility based solely on me not seeing any evidence that explicitly disproves it.

While it is known the GamePad is one frame behind a CRT (the Iwata asks on it says something to that effect) it looks like the post screenshot setting (via browser/Miiverse) is showing what is currently being sent to it to the GamePad (which explains 2 frame delay compared w/CRT in the OP*), if it is showing the screen on the GamePad then that would have been a clever way of remembering the lag.

My guess is TV screenshot is made, this image is then converted to the GamePad, but that begs the question why not mirror the screens? All I can think is maybe VC games won't downscale properly (notice the GamePad screens have no borders, the borders btw are for exact number scaling, right?). The only solution (from Nintendo POV) I can come up with is dumb really. The Wii U should have enough power to simultaneously emulate 2 systems (for NES sure, maybe SNES) and as a result be able to send separate images to TV and GamePad. A smarter solution would be output different images (like games that have different graphics on the GamePad compared with the main screen, but maybe that has framerate consequences).

*-Flashing damage taken using photos should be in sync while the post setting will show out of sync.

I really hope Nintendo see this - I tweeted them a link to the Aussie branch but doubt it will have much impact. Surely they can fix it, then games will feel awesome on the gamepad.
I think a better summary is needed (a separate to the point page). As for changes, well component cable interlace mode did happen (as VC games were showing signal out of range,
sadly the real fix, 60Hz never happened on Wii
).

That said, I have just e-mailed Nintendo UK customer services using the SMW scheenshots from Sega 1991 and Mega Man X screenshots from Robo13 as those are clear cut.

Has anyone tried the same test with any of the new GBA VC titles? Wonder if M2 being in charge of those VC titles might show different results.
If anyone can do this (given how easy it is, post screenshots and check for differences) I would suggest F-Zero Maximum Velocity out of the released games while turning a corner or using a pit lane (not sure how that flashing effect works). I forget if a speedomiter is visible in which case right after the start line is best (assuming speed updates each frame).

I noticed a very slight amount of lag with the graphics and the sound from the very beginning and just thought that was the closest they could get it.

The sound is more annoying if you have the tv and controller sound on, as they clash. So I have to turn the sound on the gamepad off.

If I had to guess the Wii U is rendering only 1 frame, and then holds the previous frame in memory.

The current frame is sent straight to the TV, and then immediately after the frame is sent to the controller (probably in that order since HDTVs have additional input lag, that could make playing games on the TV a lot worse). The only reason I could think to do this would be if the system is incapable of rendering the image at the same frame to both displays at the same time.

jimi_dini

I don't have a camera that does better than 30fps. That's why I made this thread. I want to know if anyone has done more precise testing.

Ah, you could try Wii VC games with your current equipment. Maybe only the Wii U VC games are lagging and the Wii VC games are fine. I bet that they are fine.

Maybe it's actually a bug and Nintendo didn't notice it. Someone should tell them.

Hopefully SED displays become the norm for the incoming future, that would solve all our gaming input lag problems.

SED's Dead baby, SED's Dead.

I thought everyone had backed off SED & FED for consumer usage and it was only niche markets they were looking into. I suppose a gamepad display would count but i wouldn't bet on a SED TV any time soon from what little i've read.

Top Bottom