• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about this CNN report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SG9rjskcUA

Hi GAF.

You may not know, but this week New Zealand has played host to a visit from Prince William and his wife and new son, which is a pretty big thing here, being part of the Commonwealth and all (even with recent discussion about our flag and breaking away from it at some point).

But this report has blown up on my Facebook feed this morning, and with good reason. The amount of ignorance in this piece disgusts me, not only as a New Zealander, but as a human being. Does America still sit on its high horse and look down upon the world and laugh? It's 2014 for fuck's sake, do some research.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
CNN was once quite respected but has become pathetic TMZ wannabe since ratings have tanked

Plus, I can't take a news channel seriously that routinely gives Glenn beck a platform, even Fox News kicked him off their channel

Fox318

Hi GAF.

You may not know, but this week New Zealand has played host to a visit from Prince William and his wife and new son, which is a pretty big thing here, being part of the Commonwealth and all (even with recent discussion about our flag and breaking away from it at some point).

But this report has blown up on my Facebook feed this morning, and with good reason. The amount of ignorance in this piece disgusts me, not only as a New Zealander, but as a human being. Does America still sit on its high horse and look down upon the world and laugh? It's 2014 for fuck's sake, do some research.
CNN's viewership is people in airports and coma patients who can't change the channel.

I wouldn't worry.

That news report so expertly stomped on hundreds of years of anthropological and sociological research and progress. As if there is a culturally appropriate way of addressing a prince or princess. I refuse to believe this reporter didn't know how racist her assumptions and arguments were.

Fuck, that was embarrassing. It's hilarious that a country like the US, with such a pretense of respect for freedom, can be so obsessively fixated on protocol.

Riki

Fuck, that was embarrassing. It's hilarious that a country like the US, with such a pretense of respect for freedom, can be so obsessively fixated on protocol.

Most of our "news" agencies (outside of some MSNBC shows) are really just over budgeted TMZ spinoffs.

Dude that reporter in the OT is CNNs attempt at levity. I think CNN is a piece of shit that has devolved rapidly in the past 5 years, but this particular sample is not to be taken seriously.

It's CNN. You can't expect much.

Also in America we don't really give a shit about royals so you don't see a lot of serious stories and deference to them. They are just publicly funded celebrities.

Dude that reporter in the OT is CNNs attempt at levity. I think CNN is a piece of shit that has devolved rapidly in the past 5 years, but this particular sample is not to be taken seriously.

Also this.

MThanded

While I hate CNN like almost everyone else I really think people should look at other Moos reports I posted earlier.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
That was horrific. Not sure even Fox would put out something so disrespectful to another culture.

As others have said, CNN is shit. When I visit my school's library, the TV in the entryway has it going on about the missing Malaysia flight every time.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

Your post makes zero sense. What does freedom have to do with the shitty CNN report that was made for hits? Protocol? WTF are you talking about?

harmonize

Unless Prince Williams' plane goes missing on his way back to Britain, don't expect much effort in reporting on CNN's part.

Mush

Also in America we don't really give a shit about royals so you don't see a lot of serious stories and deference to them. They are just publicly funded celebrities.
You're missing the point here. This report is hardly about the Royal couple, it's about shitting on another countries culture and traditions because we're 'merica.

"Look at these weirdos in grass skirts, look how strange they are! I bet they don't even have automobiles there."

Most of our "news" agencies (outside of some MSNBC shows) are really just over budgeted TMZ spinoffs.

Well yeah, I live in the US so I'm intimately familiar with what passes for news here. I just find all the reverence around official postings like the president, and towards military service people, kind of awkward and antithetical to the whole live free or die vibe.

02-cnn-n-word-cracker.jpg

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
You're missing the point here. This report is hardly about the Royal couple, it's about shitting on another countries culture and traditions because we're 'merica.

"Look at these weirdos in grass skirts, look how strange they are! I bet they don't even have automobiles there."

You're shitting on one bad report because 'Merica. You aren't any better.

MThanded

This is a comedy sketch. I know its hard to believe. Watch the other reports I posted.

Yes CNN is shite.

Acorn

if I remember correct his first day on the job was on 9/11.
Yup, I'm British and watched him live on 9/11( I watched CNN to stay informed on America). Fantastic coverage and great anchoring, how far they've fallen. I'd rather watch a 24 hour infomercial than cnn now.

ramuh

That's not America. Thats CNN. As soon as I saw CNN I knew it was going to be a TMZ-style piece.

pj

Banned

I think it's actually the opposite. "Look at that dude in the silly outfit. I bet after the ceremony he's going to change back into his khakis and check his text messages." Both are coming from a place of ignorance, though.

Some of the things like this I see on the news look like forced pageantry and are doing little more than paying lip service to the culture and traditions.

Hi GAF.

Its not America as a whole but the prideful self-inflated types that just don't know any better. The lady reminds me of a member of polite society that holds up examples of what can arbitrarily be deemed uncouth in support of her own self-assigned civility (superiority). She's commenting on how royals should be treated... as if she would know? Seriously, its CNN and a little of that "we're better than them" bullshit that just serves a collective ignorant servitude through blind patriotism. Nudity and sex are fairly taboo in mainstream American culture. Glorify violence but for the love of Jesus... a tattooed native's buttocks... I don't know if she's really angry or can't process her hot flashes.

That's what you took away from that? The piece was stupid, for sure. But it was a completely light hearted and harmless piece, consistent with what that woman always does. Andy Rooney style. She wasn't making fun of New Zealand or Maori. She was pointing out how awkward it can seem when you have these "dignified" world leaders (or royals) in a completely different but also traditional and formal setting. When they showed Bush and Clinton, they were poking fun at Bush and Clinton, not the people they were dancing with.

CNN has become worse than FOX news. Which is amazing in so many ways.

Their all pretty equally terrible for different reasons I think. This is CNN's reason, outright incompetence in an attempt to be edgy and stand out cause they don't have a partisan base to pander to like the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom