• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: "I want to challenge myself"

Kriken

Yoshio Sakamoto, a veteran Nintendo game designer known for the Metroid series, doesn't sound like he's returning to the fan-loved franchise anytime soon, hoping to instead "create entertainment that's completely different and that brings new emotions."

CVG: In your Tomodachi presentation, you mentioned your mission to 'create a game that moves the industry forwards'. Does that mean you will not return to the more traditional game series that you're known for?

Sakamoto: I do not intend to do so. There might [currently] be various tasks I might be involved in with past series. However, even if so I would always like to introduce new entertainment and new fun to those series.

I would like to satisfy fans of those series, but also working with other talented individuals I would like to create entertainment that's completely different and that brings new emotions. I would like to challenge myself in those unique directions.

This might be indirect, but if we can make new types of gamers enjoy video games for the first time through Tomodachi Life, then they might eventually become interested in the more conventional games. I think we need to ensure that video games remain attractive to consumers, and in order to do so new concepts and ideas are important. I would like to challenge myself to do that.

Article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/15/sakamoto-and-the-future-of-metroid

Ice Beam then Super Missile if old

Kinsei

Banned
That's good. I don't care if we never get a sequel to Fusion as long as Sakamoto isn't involved. Give Metroid to Next Level games and set it in the Prime Universe (Since they aren't canon anymore.).

Volotaire

That's good. I don't care if we never get a sequel to Fusion as long as Sakamoto isn't involved. Give Metroid to Next Level games and set it in the Prime Universe (Since they aren't canon anymore.).

Since when are the Prime games not canon?

Kinsei

Banned
Since when are the Prime games not canon?

Sakamoto said so in an interview about Other M. I'll go look for a link.

EDIT: I found the interview. http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/12/interview-metroid-other-m-producer-yoshio-sakamoto/

Retro obviously produced the Metroid Prime series; very successful, very influential. Do you consider this a reboot of the series after Metroid Prime? Is this the direction for future Metroids or just another direction?

The games that I've been involved with in the Metroid series have been on the NES, GameBoy, Super NES and the GBA. I actually didn't have a lot of input on the Prime series. But when they're doing with Other M here, it's not so much a different universe, it's just a different part of the story. You can't say that there's no relation here; it's probably best to think of them as being in parallel in this world.

TopGun

Banned
There IS hope!

kjzeEyW.gif

Berordn

Where does the blame fall for Metroid: Other M? Sakamoto or Team Ninja

Story, characters (and presumably design) and dialogue has blame squarely pointed at pointed at Sakamoto. He's also credited as designer and producer, so you can probably blame him for most of the gameplay missteps too.

Lunar15

Dude had one misstep. He's fine.

Also, good for him on wanting to make new stuff. Glad Nintendo's letting him do it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I dont think you guys know who sakamoto is if you guys are acting like other M is the first game let alone the first metroid game he has worked on.

Kriken

I'm really hoping Other M was just a hiccup and Tomodachi Life ends up being great while Nintendo allows some other studio to work on Metroid.

Kinsei

Banned
So much hate for 1 misstep. Miyamoto never got this big of a backlash with SMS :/

SMS didn't kill everything people loved about Mario as a character, and it was a pretty fun game to boot. It didn't live up to the standards of the franchise, but it was still good.

All I need to know is that he's never touching Metroid again, since he let ZSS exist, let alone Other M. Whether he was the one making those decisions or not (he was), he let it happen.

Make ZSS a new character for a new series if you want, and then-

Metroid reboot, give it to me. Give me the realized potential and lore, instead of just gradually focusing on turning Samus into a submissive waifu.

I do hope he gets a chance to work on Metroid again. He's incredibly important to the creation and advancement of the Metroid series. How many developers can say they've worked in a lead capacity on a series for 25 years? A role kind of like Miyamato currently has with Zelda would be welcomed by me.

Story, characters (and presumably design) and dialogue has blame squarely pointed at pointed at Sakamoto. He's also credited as designer and producer, so you can probably blame him for most of the gameplay missteps too.

I think he insisted that the control scheme was to be wiimote only? If so, then Team Ninja pretty much did the best they could with what was given to them.

Sinnick

Translation: NoJ saw the poor response Other M got from an artistic as well as gameplay centric standpoint and decided to keep me away from the series.

Kinsei

Banned
Neither did Other M.

Care to explain? I'd like to know why you don't think Samus's character was destroyed.

That's odd, I thought one of the Prime games came with a chronology that included the older games. It seems like a odd revision to make. Is there somehow this could be a mistranslation?

Retro designed the Prime games to take place between Metroid 1 and 2. Some time between MP3 and Other M Sakamoto decided they weren't canon.

RagnarokX

That's odd, I thought one of the Prime games came with a chronology that included the older games. It seems like a odd revision to make.

They do. He didn't say they aren't canon. They are just separate canon. Honestly they really don't fit with what's supposed to come after them.

Kriken

So much hate for 1 misstep. Miyamoto never got this big of a backlash with SMS :/

Mario didn't get PTSD when seeing Bowser, it wasn't up to the normal quality other Super Mario game set, but it didn't ruin any characters
Mama Peach was just a dumb plot point resolved by the end, nothing more

Volotaire

Retro designed the Prime games to take place between Metroid 1 and 2. Some time between MP3 and Other M Sakamoto decided they weren't canon.

Ah well, I'll have to dig deeper into the stories themselves to see what I make of this. Not too familiar on the intricacies of the timeline.

Still, I'm looking forward to see what he works on next.

RagnarokX

Care to explain? I'd like to know why you don't think Samus's character was destroyed.

Samus' character was hardly explored before Other M. Other M was the first game where Samus' inner thoughts were made privy to such a degree. The character she puts forth to the outside world in Other M is a strong silent badass just like every other game.

Broritos

She never had 'character' and what they created was based off of a backstory that was made since the first Metroid game. Samus' character now actually makes sense despite it being exaggerated in certain points in Other M.

Top Bottom