• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on how Wii U is doing in Europe/UK?

Bob White

I know Pal weeklies are out but I've not really paid attention for a few months now. Last I really remember is how Knack beat Mario for December or something. Did Mario ever recover?

Robin64

Europe? Probably pretty badly.
The UK? Undoubtedly shiiiiiiite. Can't even buy it in most stores here.

gngf123

It's doing pretty poorly everywhere, but the UK absolutely couldn't give less of a shit about it. Most supermarkets barely even stock games for it except for one or two choice games hidden away in the generic "Nintendo" (or in my case, Nintendo and PC) section in the corner.

maxcriden

Not too well, I imagine. If MK8 doesn't turn things around at all, I doubt anything will. EU gamers just don't know or care about it.

Porcile

Absolutely terrible undoubtedly. Maybe Mario Kart can boost sales for a small period but the UK never liked Nintendo much, Wii U was the final nail in the coffin.

Xav

Europe - Bad

UK - Literally dead

Sales data is for Nintendo to worry about, don't let it affect your enjoyment of the games.

Yeah.. The real test will be MarioKart and E3. But even E3 is a completely unknown event for most people.
Only real significant reveals will reach mainstream news.

daxgame

I know Pal weeklies are out but I've not really paid attention for a few months now. Last I really remember is how Knack beat Mario for December or something. Did Mario ever recover?

lol, I think that was the PS4 bundle.
But either way, I guess pretty bad, with UK being even more bad :p

Robin64

It's doing pretty poorly everywhere, but the UK absolutely couldn't give less of a shit about it. Most supermarkets barely even stock games for it except for one or two choice games stuck in the corner of the generic "Nintendo" (or in my case, Nintendo and PC) section in the corner.

My local Tesco is not small, by any means, and doesn't even have 3DS games now. Just PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Surrounding towns are all the same, too. I can't even think how far I'd have to go to find a supermarket with Nintendo games, now...

And that's crazy. Of course you won't see sales if you don't stock the thing. :|

Pretty sure 99% of Mario Kart 8 sales will be from online stores.

Still bad but Mario did indeed recover. Knack was ahead for a week or so but it was enough to build an urban legend.

Majmun

Mario Kart 8 will be the final test. If that doesn't do anything, then nothing else can save the Wii U or make it relevant here.

Raist

Banned
France is likely the best market for WiiU for now, and it sold 176k in the whole of 2013.

So, yeah. It's fucked.

Tregard

Soothsayer
The local Tesco stocks 1 Wii U game to every 5 Wii games.

You can't even buy any Wii U stuff in the GAMEs where I live.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Fairly sure I'm the only Wii U owner in the South of England, the situation is fucking grim.

Once I get Kart 8 and Smash I'm done, a PS4 purchase is on the horizon (thanks student loan!)

gngf123

My local Tesco is not small, by any means, and doesn't even have 3DS games now. Just PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Surrounding towns are all the same, too. I can't even think how far I'd have to go to find a supermarket with Nintendo games, now...

And that's crazy. Of course you won't see sales if you don't stock the thing. :|

Pretty sure 99% of Mario Kart 8 sales will be from online stores.

My Tesco's is similar, but they do stock some DS and 3DS games.

That said, their selection is completely bizarre. They have never stocked Pokemon X/Y, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, or the vast majority of games people care about not named Mario 3D Land.

What they do stock though, is Smurfs DS.

Majmun

The most people I know don't even know what it is. They're over their Wii's and never paid any attention to gaming anymore afterwards.

SmokyDave

Nintendo is dead in the UK right now, not just the Wii U. There hasn't been a single Nintendo title in the top 40 for the last two weeks. Never seen that happen before, even during barren release periods.

stuminus3

I posted a picture of my 3DS running the VC version of Gargoyle's Quest on Facebook yesterday and lots of people from the UK liked it so I'd say things are probably looking good.

MKUltra

I'm in the UK and outside of GAME and a Smyths toy store I have never seen a Wii U game in the wild, no supermarkets even stock them.

tekrapid

Neo Member
the last time i spotted a wii u in the uk where i live was in cex. none of my local game or supermarkets seem to stock any nintendo stuff barring a few 3ds games and accessories. its dead.

Albo

Not good at all

UK:

mZ5cYDi.png

j53B3Fl.png

SORIKVy.png

vxeMyZt.png

Hardware units:

Wii U, 2012-2013 LTD - 150K units at the beginning of December

Xbox One, 2013 - 364K units

Spain (software units):

Wii U, 2012 - 52,000 units

Xbox One, 2013 - 60,000 units

France (hardware units):

Wii U, 2012 - 120K units

Xbox One, 2013 - 126K units

These are all data that run contradictory to the "Xbox One is doing worse off than Wii U" narrative.

If I'm reading this right, 150K LTD is terrible for UK.

Not surprising when most supermarkets and some retailers ditched their support for wii u around summer last year. There were also plenty of significant price cuts by multiple retailers (who decide prices instead of ninty) all year round yet it failed to move stock.

Nintendo is dead in the UK right now, not just the Wii U. There hasn't been a single Nintendo title in the top 40 for the last two weeks. Never seen that happen before, even during barren release periods.

It's depressing that the company who arguably still make the very best video games of any company have no foothold in the UK market.

Still, no one to blame but themselves.

Rich!

I have been to three major Tesco stores in the last week, and not a single one stocks any Nintendo games at all.

Wii U is dead here.

SmokyDave

I'm in the UK and outside of GAME and a Smyths toy store I have never seen a Wii U game in the wild, no supermarkets even stock them.
My local Sainsbury's have a very limited selection. Usually 5 titles. I have seen 'em discount a few first party titles to £24.99 and some third party titles to £9.99 - £14.99, so I can't imagine they're shifting many units.

It's depressing that the company who arguably still make the very best video games of any company have no foothold in the UK market.

Still, no one to blame but themselves.
That is indeed arguable ;)

They make great games, but I wouldn't say they're peerless or anything.

Vashetti

Banned
What's also interesting is that Tesco (biggest UK supermarket/retailer) has readily adopted PS4 and XB1, whilst also maintaining PS3 and 360 shelf space.

All the Tesco stores near me have zero Nintendo games (Wii/DS/WiiU/3DS) on their shelves.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What's also interesting is that Tesco (biggest UK supermarket/retailer) has readily adopted PS4 and XB1, whilst also maintaining PS3 and 360 shelf space.

All the Tesco stores near me have zero Nintendo games (Wii/DS/WiiU/3DS) on their shelves.

Tesco were the one Nintendo made a deal with as well, clearly that went well.

Rich!

Yep. They removed their Nintendo bays (usually 2m per "Extra" store), introduced PS4/Bone and kept 360 and PS3 the same as it already was. As I said before, Nintendo were given until the end of the FY to turn things around with Tesco. That didn't happen.

Nintendo made a deal with them on promotion, but afaik that was dependent on sales. obviously those targets weren't met.

Recall

My local Tesco Extra has a bunch of dancing games for Wii and Wii U. Wind Waker for the Wii U along with the Rayman title which was released on it too. That is it.

Asda don't stock any thing for the console so everything for the Wii U i've just bought through Amazon. Smyths toyshop has carried every Wii U title to date, they ask top buck for them but at least do stock the games. I'm not sure how popular it is for someone to go Smyths to get video games.

Actually reading this thread alone, I'm most likely the only one who has found other places that stock Wii U titles at all.

Ironjam

Its doing pretty well in France (compared to everywhere else ofc) and its dead in the UK. It varies between these in other EU coutries, but probably pretty badly. Didnt they ship -10k units to EU in Q2?

tebunker

Banned
A complete non-entity in the UK.

Nintendo as a whole is pretty much dead here.
Hasn't it really been like this for a while? I mean wasn't the UK a Sega stronghold first and then a Sony one. Nintendo never took it as serious?

Also how big is the UK market compared to other markets? Uk usually gets lumped into all if Europe, but I often wonder why folks make a big deal of stuff not doing well in the UK when it doesn't seem like that big if a market when not included in all of Europe.

Rich!

Yup. I'm not sure how they can recover at this point.

If you're stuff isn't available in Tesco, then you're fucked in the UK.

It's actually irritating. I wanted to buy Yoshi's Island the other night (don't ask why), but the two Tesco stores I tried had no Nintendo at all.

sigh

Hasn't it really been like this for a while? I mean wasn't the UK a Sega stronghold first and then a Sony one. Nintendo never took it as serious?

No - Nintendo was fucking HUGE here during the Wii era. Like, insane. Back in my old store, Nintendo had near 60% of our floor space at one point. Sony and Microsoft did very well, but the Wii craze was pretty damn big here in the UK. Until it dropped off a cliff.

system11

Dead in the UK, the situation is hopeless although I haven't yet seen a repeat of the 'Gamecube bundles being heavily discounted in large baskets outside the shop' situation.

It's now April 2014 and I still haven't seen a Wii U in the wild, or even heard of anyone I know being remotely interested in getting one. Such a huge difference compared to the Wii years here...

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Just dead in the UK.

If Mario Kart doesn't push systems this holiday (May is a bit awkward) then cancel the Wii U pls.

SmokyDave

Nintendo were dominant early last gen. GFK Chart Track have an archive on their site and if you go back to '07 / '08, you'll see Nintendo all over the charts. It wasn't unusual for them to hold half of the top 40 and 7-9 of the top ten titles.

Malcolm9

My local GAME have a tiny shelf space for the Wii U, they also mix the Wii U games up with the Wii ones, which really doesn't help the average consumer know what it is.

If I was Nintendo I'd pay to get display units up in game stores to show people what it is, and that it isn't a Wii accessory.

Rich!

If I was Nintendo I'd pay to get display units up the stores to show people what it is, and that it isn't a Wii accessory.

Well, firstly it needs a complete re-brand and that name needs to go. The "Wii" brand is toxic here in the UK now - and it's all Nintendo's own doing.

RoySFNR

I live in Holland and I've never met anyone who owns a WiiU besides me. I did see someone post een trailer of Hyrule Warriors on Facebook but that's it. The stores do however pack WiiU's and most big tech stores carry demo units.

Top Bottom