• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Game Scoop - Why does Iwata still have a job?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
He doesn't, he's been 'confirmed & guaranteed' gone in many recent GAF threads ( ≖‿≖)

Do you know when they start talking about Iwata and Nintendo? The video is nearly an hour long.

Edit: Nintendo talk starts at 13 minutes in to the video.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why wouldn't he?

What does Nintendo have to gain in booting out a guy who brought them great success before just because they are going through a rough patch?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think anyone else in Nintendo really wants to be in his position at the moment anyway.

I don't think anyone else in Nintendo really wants to be in his position at the moment anyway.

That's likely a key part of it, for potential replacements both inside and outside the company.

Whoever runs the company in his place is going to be stuck with the declining 3DS and the dead-as-fuck WiiU for another couple of years. And there's no guarantee that anything they do with their next platform is going to fly off shelves. Nintendo is boxed into a corner right now.

I sure as shit wouldn't want to be in Iwata's position right now. Can't think of why anyone else would either.

klee123

Considering that was mainly responsible for the massive successes of the DS and the Wii, I don't see why people can't give him a second chance.

Then again, Nintendo kinda ignored Yokoi after the Virtua Boy disaster.

A real captain goes down with the ship. Iwata could use a some better advisers surrounding him, but at the end of the day I think Iwata is the only one who is really in a position to turn this company around, and I can't think of many people who would be foolish enough to try to take on that task right now.

Tripon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDGevO05Sg

In this video, IGN is diving deep into Nintendo's ongoing struggles with the Wii U.

Credits for this thread go to BY2K, he linked the video. Without him, this thread wouldn't have been made.

Dude, why!?

Haha.

Haven't listened to it yet. I have high hopes they will intelligently discuss it despite the click baity title because its Greg Miller, Justin Davis, and Damon Hatfield. And some dude named Alfredo who I don't know. Still, they're all pretty leveled headed.

Dawg

Dude, why!?

tumblr_mezy08dbze1qbm00wo1_500.gif

MisterHero

He gives more informative and entertaining features than IGN. That's for sure.

They didn't retreat from E3. They had one of the biggest booths last year.

Laieon

Maybe there's multiple Iwata's that just look the same and they just replaced the old one without us knowing.

I'm sure that those four chaps know enough about running a large corporation to be able to provide a well constructed argument as to why Iwata should or should not still have his job....Someone watch it please and let me know if this is the case.

Why wouldn't he?

What does Nintendo have to gain in booting out a guy who brought them great success before just because they are going through a rough patch?

Ken Kuturagi brought great success to Sony with PSX and PS2...then he went batshit insane with Cell and PS3. The man was disillusion and mocked the competition. Look at how well Sony has done without Kuturagi and Phil Harrison. \

What if Iwata fails again? Can Nintendo handle two back to back console bombs in this day and age?

He has to make sure they have hit rock bottom and are on the rise again so a new guy can be the face of that rise. Maybe when the console is closer he will finally bail.

Majukun

for what i know,it's because pretty much every guy in the board of directors is loyal to him,since most of the old management is now gone.

Because he greenlights things like Sin & Punishment 2 and The Wonderful 101.

That's a reason for a multinational multibillion dollar public to keep a CEO? Really?

for what i know,it's because pretty much every guy in the board of directors is loyal to him,since most of the old management is now gone.

This is the only reasonable reason given in this thread.

Trago

Really good discussion, but I'm getting real tired of the "hybrid console" suggestion everyone's making.

Iwata has already stated that their next generation platforms would be like BROTHERS in a family of systems, implying that there will be more than one.

I still want a capable Nintendo system and a nice handheld that plays the same games, as was implied at that investors meeting, not one handheld that plugs up to your television.

Tripon

They're not just gone, all the new members have jobs thanks to Iwata.

I do think Iwata's eventually going to resign, but only have they have a clear succession plan in place with an insider who has both Iwata and the board's backing is picked.

border

Probably because if people aren't allowed to fail, nobody will want to do anything creative or innovative.

TheMadvillain

Neo Member
Ken Kuturagi brought great success to Sony with PSX and PS2...then he went batshit insane with Cell and PS3. The man was disillusion and mocked the competition. Look at how well Sony has done without Kuturagi and Phil Harrison.

Same deal with Don Mattrick at Microsoft. You can do some good for a company, but that doesn't excuse you from making colossal fuck ups.

JordanN

Banned
Iwata is losing Nintendo money. I don't get why anyone still sticks up for him.

Iwata even said he thought he would be fired in the beginning if he did a bad job, so why is he given immunity now that Nintendo is at their worst?

The situation at Nintendo right now is very reminiscent to Michael Eisner's terror.

Clownboat

Banned
Because if the position of CEO is a revolving door, the CEO will never have a long-term plan for the company. The company will get raked over the coals for short-term gains, and everyone who works there now will be out of a job within ten years.

Also it's probably because Miyamoto and Takeda wouldn't stick around if Iwata were forced out, and nobody wants to cross those guys aside from the 7% of shareholders who are totally off the deep end (see: the most recent vote for board members).

Tripon

Because if the position of CEO is a revolving door, the CEO will never have a long-term plan for the company. The company will get raked over the coals for short-term gains, and everyone who works there now will be out of a job within ten years.

You just described Zynga.

Iwata is losing Nintendo money. I don't get why anyone still sticks up for him.

To be fair, the entire company (including Iwata) revolves around/is perpetually beholden to the software management practices of Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto is in fact in a more glorified position than Iwata, since he is apparently immune from public criticism with regard to how he's handling Nintendo's software, which (given Nintendo's business revolves around making appealing software that drives hardware sales) has been the real culprit of their bad performance.

massoluk

Banned
It's people like Iwata who goes against the tide that either result in massive profit for outsmarting the market, or massive disappointment for misreading the market.

So I say let him stay. It can go either way, but at least they dance on their own beat.

I would be terrified if Iwata were fired because you run the risk of a new CEO coming in and throwing them into the mobile market.

Under Iwata, Nintendo will see guaranteed failure. The past few years have proven that he is literally too incompetent for the job, the current situation is almost impossible to reach in theory after the market domination they had last gen.
Just because you're afraid of smartphones or something doesn't change that a new CEO is the only chance for possible improvements. It could become worse (highly doubtable though), but it also gives them a chance that's not available as long as that nutjob keeps running the company.

QOL and these Skylanders knockoffs will fall flat on their face too, hopefully they can finally kick him after that.

Of course it is the reason. Firing him is like firing the Mother Teresa of gamers.

That is a disgusting analogy and you should ashamed. (I hope you were joking anyway). Being the CEO of a multinational corporation should never be compared to someone who devoted their entire life to selflessly helping others out of the goodness of their heart.

Of course it is the reason. Firing him is like firing the Mother Teresa of gamers.

I thought you made a joke post. Is this for real?

Holy shit. Wonderful101 is the reason to keep a CEO who has been performing poorly for the last half decade! You heard it here first folks.

Top Bottom