• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Less than half under age 35 worldwide are aware of the Holocaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
WO-AS354_ANTSEM_G_20140512185704.jpg

Link
Link article

If you're under 35, chances are you're unaware of the Holocaust. So says a new global survey released by the Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday, which found less than half of respondents (48 percent) under age 35 knew about it.

By contrast, 61 percent of those over 50 said they knew about the Holocaust, during which 6 million Jews and as many as 5 million Roma, gays, political and war prisoners, and others were murdered by the Nazi regime in Germany from 1939 to 1945.

The poll, which included 53,100 interviews in 96 languages in 101 countries, found about a quarter of the world's population believes some negative stereotypes about Jews are "probably true," including "Jews are more loyal to Israel than [their home] country" and "Jews have too much power in the business world."

The survey found the West Bank and the Gaza Strip had the highest percentage (93 percent) of people who agree with at least six of those statements. Those areas, known collectively as the Palestinian territories, are home to more than 4 milllion Palestinians and have long been a focus of violence and controversy between Israel and the Arab world.

History doomed to repeat itself, etc etc

News Bot

Banned
Tends to happen the further you get from a historical event. Maybe not this dramatic though. That's some high-level ignorance.

And this is the most well known, considering the acts of mass murdering genocide throughout the world decades later even more easily forgotten like Rwanda, Cambodia's Killing Fields.....it's depressing to see so many people be forgotten.

Humanity keeps letting it happen. :(

Lkr

where were the people surveyed? i find it hard to believe that it is europe or north america. this shit is taught extensively in public school...

I'd be curious exactly which countries were included in the poll. The fact that people in the Palestinian territories agreed with at least 6 negative stereotypes of Jews shouldn't be shocking to anyone. I can't imagine being treated like Israel treats Palestine and coming away with a positive opinion.

I've always been critical of how my public school education taught the same information about the Holocause from grades 6-12, but I guess even that's not enough...

EDIT: Yeah the sample size seems strange.

I remember spending a ton of time talking about it in freshman year. We even saw The Diary of Anne Frank and Schindler's List.

I'm a bit miffed by the "control over the US government" question. Being against Israel's diplomatic interests does not make you an anti-Semite, and I feel that the question often conflates the two.

I find this quote from the WSJ article important though:

The only religious group with a higher unfavorability rating in the survey than Jews was Muslims. While 38% rated Jews favorably and 21% unfavorably, both numbers were higher for Muslims, with 47% rating them favorably and 24% unfavorably. In comparison, 62% rated Christians favorably and just 15% unfavorably, the survey found.

US results for the lazy:

Jews more loyal to Israel than US: 31%

Jews have too much power in the business world: 18%

Jews have too much power in intl financial markets: 15%

Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust: 22%

Jews don't care what happens to anyone but their own kind: 13%

Jews have too much control over global affairs: 11%

Jews have too much control over the U.S. gov't: 11%

Jews think they are better than other people: 8%

Jews have too much control over the global media: 12%

Jews are responsible for most of the world's wars: 6%

People hate Jews because of the way Jews behave: 15%

89% of the US had heard about the Holocaust, same number believes "The Holocaust happened, and the number of Jews who died in it have been fairly described by history"

6% think the number of Jews who died is exaggerated

1% think it's a myth

tokkun

I'm a bit miffed by the "control over the US government" question. Being against Israel's diplomatic interests does not make you an anti-Semite, and I feel that the question often conflates the two.

You are making the mistake of assuming that the pro-Israel lobby is primarily made up of Jewish people.

The largest supporters of the pro-Israel lobby in the US are actually evangelical Christians.

Madness

Worldwide? Believable. Many developing countries still have high illiteracy rates, combined with the fact that European history isn't on the forefront of their education. It's one thing to learn about the holocaust and world war II in the US, France, UK, Germany, quite another to teach it to kids in Nepal, Vietnam, Bangladesh etc.

I even believe the number will go down in the future as the memory of World War II fades.

You are making the mistake of assuming that the pro-Israel lobby is primarily made up of Jewish people.

The largest supporters of the pro-Israel lobby in the US are actually evangelical Christians.

Them people are giddy about the end times, for real. Really screwed up when you think about it.

terrisus

Tends to happen the further you get from a historical event. Maybe not this dramatic though. That's some high-level ignorance.

There's always been much more going on with regards to the Holocaust than simply "time passing and people forgetting."

Mr.Mike

My mind is blown. Just how???!

Should we expect the entire world to learn about this piece of Western history?

There are plenty of terrible genocides to use. The important thing is that kids are taught about the how these things happen and to be mindful to not repeat those mistakes.

sohois

So 600million peasents in India and China don't know about it.

That's not shocking, is it?

China has 61% knowledge of the holocaust - though that does still leave vast numbers of people who were not aware of it simply due to size.

The UK manages 99% holocaust knowledge, though a bit lower agree with the facts.

Kusagari

More than half of South Koreans are Ant-Semetic?

China actually came in lower than Japan and South Korea on that metric. And only 15% of Chinese agreed with the Jews controlling the U.S. government question.

Damn, this is sad. But then again how many atrocities of our time are we really aware of? Or how they played out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide For instance (I don't know much, but a friend was mentioning this who is a History Professor), this is about the same ball park, is extremely fucked up, yet most of us don't really know about. We don't learn about it unless we seek out the knowledge or are informed by those with the knowledge.

No, I literally mean that anyone who speaks out against Israel is often called an Anti-Semite, often by the Anti Defamation League.

This is why I admire Spielberg so much for starting the Shoah Visual History Foundation - founded from his entitled profits from Schindler's List, which has archived thousands upon thousands of survivor testimonies.

Valhelm

contribute something
It's very worrisome that about three quarters of the Islamic World denies the Holocaust. I guess in many areas, Anti-Semitic propaganda is the only education people have about the killings?

Darren870

If you look at each country its very few people that haven't heard of the holocaust in developed countries. I'd also be interested to see who they were actually polling for the ones that said they never heard of it.

If you look at countries in South America there is a very high percentage that hasn't heard of the holocaust. Which isn't very surprising to me.

US results for the lazy:

Jews more loyal to Israel than US: 31%

Jews have too much power in the business world: 18%

Jews have too much power in intl financial markets: 15%

Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust: 22%

Jews don't care what happens to anyone but their own kind: 13%

Jews have too much control over global affairs: 11%

Jews have too much control over the U.S. gov't: 11%

Jews think they are better than other people: 8%

Jews have too much control over the global media: 12%

Jews are responsible for most of the world's wars: 6%

People hate Jews because of the way Jews behave: 15%

89% of the US had heard about the Holocaust, same number believes "The Holocaust happened, and the number of Jews who died in it have been fairly described by history"

6% think the number of Jews who died is exaggerated

1% think it's a myth

This is the world we live in now.

I'm talking to my mom on dog walks about new and interesting stuff I've been reading and watching, and she goes "so, how do we know this? Is this fact or is it just some scientist saying it?".

This is the world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom