• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sick of the lollies like Ellie and Clementine.... in my WESTERN games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, keep in mind I'm going for a boisterous angle here, so if you are easily offended... try not to be.
On point, what is this semi creepy trend? The trend of making some little girl a major main character in so many titles? It's not straight up little girl fetishization like I'm making in out to be, but I guess more like 'Daughter sims'. But still it's kinda weirding me out, as this is really blowing up as a trend in big AAA games.
Personally, I'm already sick of it, and I just loaded up Hitman Absolution and immediately decided, for the first time in the series for me, I was going to skip all the cutscenes. I am done with this frickin trope already.
I mean, it hit well for me in Walking Dead, but I was already sick of it by the time TLOU came out. I'm just not into the 'daughter-fus', sorry people.
Anyone else? Anyone, frankly, getting a little creeped out and weary of this deluge of what I'm just going to call Western lollies?

Kade

They're just little girls. You gotta be fucked up to look at them as loli especially when none of them have the 1,000 year old being/robot backstory (it's fucked up even when they do). Lolicon is intentionally creepy while this so-called trend at least tries to give these characters human attributes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You're looking at this from the wrong angle.

They're father simulators, because the main target demographic for Western games is now 18-35, which means it includes a lot of people who have young kids or will have young kids in a few years.

When the target demographic was 12-17 that's when developers were making games about animals with attitude instead. This trend is part of that, as opposed to sexual fetishization.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't find it to be anywhere near as creepy as lolicon elsewhere.

They're just younger female characters that aren't exactly being sexualized.

lollipop-390x600.jpg

Ban this sick filth.

nowai

While I also can't stand lollies, Clementine and Ellie aren't at all what I would classify as a lollie.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

They're father simulators, because the main target demographic for Western games is now 18-35, which means it includes a lot of people who have young kids or will have young kids in a few years.

Yup, this. Its funny how easy it is to make the distinction though, considering how ostensibly some people insist on the innocence of...other designs.

it's not weird but this thread sure is

when you give a little girl human attributes and you don't try to make her into a sex object then it's pretty fuckin kosher to tell a story with that

this will be a thread backfire for the ages

Eusis

And a lot of developers are parents period most likely.

Ken

They're just little girls. You gotta be fucked up to look at them as loli especially when none of them have the 1,000 year old being/robot backstory. Lolicon is intentionally creepy while this so-called trend at least tries to give these characters human attributes.

Yeah...

StuBurns

Banned
TLoU completely justifies Ellie, and it's not like every game is doing this. I struggle to see the justification for your stance.

Salex_

Those girls aren't sexualized. TBH, it sounds like your thoughts are wandering around and you want to escape them.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

When the target demographic was 12-17 that's when developers were making games about animals with attitude instead. This trend is part of that, as opposed to sexual fetishization.

^ Pretty much this.

THIS. I don't even have a daughter but in the Walking Dead I would have taken a bullet for Clem. DO IT ALL FOR CLEM. Also I would have taken a bite to the neck for Ellie in TLoU. Even though I'm sneaking around she's making as much noise as possible IS IT SO HARD TO CROUCH.

Now if we want to discuss lolis I'm tired of lolis in my eastern games, which stems from I'm tired of lolis in my anime. It's pandering to a group that honestly shouldn't be pandered to.

Eh, they are distant to being lollies I think. There isn't sexual appeal in Ellie, Clementine, etc, at least not that I think of.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honestly, I think you should take a good long look at yourself if you think that Ellie and Clementine are lolis.

Yuuichi

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I think you seem to be missing the point of the characters and their value to the story? Also, it would be nice to have a few more examples than Hitman, TLOU, and Walking Dead, since no other titles come to mind.

They're just little girls. You gotta be fucked up to look at them as loli especially when none of them have the 1,000 year old being/robot backstory. Lolicon is intentionally creepy while this so-called trend at least tries to give these characters human attributes.

I'm sure japanese 'lollies' are much worse, but all this over focus feels like it's heading that way.

Kssio_Aug

On The Last of Us, Ellie have huge importance to the whole thing, I cant see how that could be something bad or wrong there.

On Walking Dead it adds to the survivability thing (needing to take care more then with just yourself).

I think theres nothing wrong with it, as long as they are there for a reason.

desmax

Maybe I'm not playing as much western games as I should, but I don't really remember lots of games doing that.

And, honestly, Ellie and Clementine worked in the context of their games, so it's fine by me.

This makes sense

I think lolis would be a more appropriate spelling.

avatar with this post made me lol so hard

i love mj though

meptrep

I thought the character had to be sexualized to be a 'loli'? The characters in the games you pointed out aren't sexualized at all, which makes it actually acceptable and normal as opposed to real lolis...

Yeah, this thread really just points out how fucked up the actual sexualized underage characters in Japanese games are, by giving an example of a couple young girls in Western games that are not sexualized at all.

Yeah.... I don't think you know what that word means....

Clementine and Ellie definitely don't count. Using a child to make you sympathize with a cause/character is nothing new, and it's not like they use either's gender in a sexual way, only to reinforce the father route both are going for.

Neither are sexualized, so I'm not getting ANY of those vibes. It sounds like you're saying any little girl character counts, in which case, that's your issue, not the game's.

Kade

I'm sure japanese 'lollies' are much worse, but all this over focus feels like it's heading that way.

I agree that they are creepier. It's the part of Japanese media I will never understand nor care to. However, my issue is that you are trying to attribute a fetish/"niche" to something that is only tangentially related. The only people I see fetishising this character type is people on message boards and DeviantArt. I know the devs certainly aren't doing it. You just come off as creepy referring to Ellie and Clementine as "lolis".

I don't think they're sexualized, so I'm not sure where you're coming from OP with the loli thing, but I do think games like TLOU missed a chance to present a strong female character (by having a woman protecting a boy), and instead gave us another female game character that needs to be protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom