• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tenchi Muyo series announced, 5 min episodes, 50 ep run to start in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ANN: New Tenchi Muyo! Series Announced to Promote Tourism, Series of 5-minute episodes slated for October

Representatives from the city of Takahashi in Okayama Prefecture announced on Monday that the city is raising money to fund a new Tenchi Muyo! series. The tentatively titled Ai: Tenchi Muyo! will be set in Takahashi, as the city hopes fans will come on a "pilgrimage" to see the setting of the anime, and plans to sell goods and host related events.

The series is slated to run for 50 five-minute episodes on Tokyo MX starting in October.

The town is raising 16,840,000 yen (US$165,293) in advertising expenses.
Tenchi Muyo! creator Masaki Kajishima is credited as the original creator and Hiroaki Inoue is attached as the producer for the upcoming series. Kajishima is also from Okayama prefecture, where many works in the Tenchi series take place.

gL88KkE.jpg

Mesousa

Banned
How exactly would tenchi Muyo work as 5 minute shorts?

Random girls fighting over him and awkward sexual situations?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Can't help but not be excited. I mean, I'd love to see the characters return but I can't help but feel that this is a really weird and roundabout way to get people to remember they exist after OVA3 and GXP's complete flatline response.

Can't say I am very pleased about the way this is sounding so far. More like a glorified advertising campaign than a new show.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
JGZinv over at TenchiForum has done a quick translation of one of the Japanese announcement pages:

Mr. Masaki Kajishima of the Kurashiki City is an listed as original creator.
Professor Hiroaki Inoue of a Kibi International University of Japan animation cultural faculty takes charge of production.

Nippon Television Network Corporation (Tokyo MX TV)
It schedules in Tokyo to be broadcast in the TV station and Tokyo Metropolitan Television
Note that NTNC owns Hulu Japan or is partnered with.

168.48 million yen being raised to fund project.
Risk, Goods concerned are developed in cooperation with the commerce and industry group, etc, to promote tourism.
50 episodes of five minutes each = roughly 8.3, 30 minute episodes of length.

Broadcasting will start on a weekday night in October.
Production to DVD is planned.
Based around Takahashi City university.

Seems like they're going to be shooting this one straight-to-video as well. Kajishima himself is listed as being "original creator" and not actually directing so this may or may not be his series he discussed back in his Winter Comiket doujin.

Mortemis

Banned
Thread title should be "New Tenchi Muyo short series announced, 50 5 min episodes run to start in October" or something less wordy. It should at least have the 5 minute episode shorts in there to not confuse everyone. Getting peoples hopes up for nothing.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Thank you Lord Jesus God Almighty in the high heavens for this meal.

edit: FUCK YOU OP!

The only good materials pertaining to Tenchi Muyo is the first two OVAs and the Tenchi Muyo TV series (I think it's called Tenchi Universe?) After that, the franchise went to shit.

Banpresto had a pretty cool tactical rpg on the SNES though

Rayis

I love Tenchi Muyo but srsly, 5 minute episodes? to promote tourism? I at least hope Tenchi ends up with Ryoko

Caaaaan't you see that I am a pioneer...

When I first heard that English dub I thought it was Pioneer shelling for itself. Little did I know.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm on Team Aeka.

hoggert

Anime for the sole purpse of promoting tourism is amazing. What I really want to know is this going to be new characters like that show from the late 90s or the same old folks. GXP or whatever.

Also Aeka
a shit

Five minutes? That's like 1-2 minutes of real content if it has an OP and ED.
I love Tenchi Muyo but srsly, 5 minute episodes? to promote tourism? I at least hope Tenchi ends up with Ryoko
That would break the first rule of harem anime and the second one (depending on who you ask).

akaoni

Banned
I actually just started watching Tenchi Universe for the first time last week for nostalgia. This is the mobile game sequel of anime. :(

aett

That's alright, any new Tenchi is destined to be shit. GXP is what made me realize anime is dead.

I really liked the first few (maybe several?) episodes of GXP, but man did it drop in quality and ended terribly. While that wasn't the last anime series I watched (a friend got me to watch the first FMA anime a year later), it was the last one that I was excited to see.

also: forget Tenchi/Ryoko/Aeka, it's all about Kiyone/Mihoshi

I really liked the first few (maybe several?) episodes of GXP, but man did it drop in quality and ended terribly. While that wasn't the last anime series I watched (a friend got me to watch the first FMA anime a year later), it was the last one that I was excited to see.

also: forget Tenchi/Ryoko/Aeka, it's all about Kiyone/Mihoshi

I actually rather enjoyed GXP for what it was. It also was at least honest in that having harem "who will he choose zomg?" drama is pointless in a polygamist society like Jurai. Seina did what Tenchi should have done 20 years ago.

Mesoian

Yeah that image mirror's my expression.

That's not the format for a tenchi series, but it'll still blow the doors off Nisekoi. So fine.

Five minutes? That's like 1-2 minutes of real content if it has an OP and ED.

That would break the first rule of harem anime and the second one (depending on who you ask).

I would enjoy Harem animes 200% more if they just made a fucking decision. Even Macross Frontier which was a mech combat anime first, harem anime...fucking 9th...they don't make a decision. I hate that.

Nisekoi is horrid because they've been going for 70 chapters, ignoring the actual plot of the of the manga in order to introduce girl after girl that the MC CLEARLY isn't going to get with, and mean while the main girl and hte MC are just mincing around, rubbing their thighs together and reenacting a 1970's british PBS play, going "oh I...oh. Well....I had better go."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom