• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does Crytek afford almost 750 employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Crytek such a massive company?

http://www.crytek.com/company <-- Website shows almost 750 employees across many countries on the map.

Did the first Far Cry or any of the Crysis games sell that much? Over 700 employees means they're spending a lot on human capital. But how the hell are they affording this? Am I just crazy for thinking this?

DieH@rd

Banned
They dont make only games, they have several studios that work on military/goverment/bussiness contracts where they build simulators and architecture demos.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
They have a ton of studios where cost of labor is fairly cheap.

AHA-Lambda

They get royalties on the CryEngine.

I think the better question is how does Ubisoft afford about 1000 employees?

H4r4kiri

They are not only doing videogames. They sell they engines are sold to the Army and stuff for fighting simulation and stuff.

And they are German. So they are awesome :D JK.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
rtiLogo.jpg

supposedly
I think their headcount is like 15 people tops, which is pretty odd.

Do we know how their earnings split up between games and their work for the military and what they get from other developers for using CryEngine? Are there some charts or something like that from a fiscal report etc.?

jetsetrez

A friend and I were just wondering the same thing the other day after all of their announcements. I think the three games they just announced all have a very high probability of all being very, very expensive financial flops. It's kind of scary to wonder how they will survive if all three do bomb.

I dunno, though, maybe Cry Engine or Warface bring in mad money. But if they make most of their money off of game sales, I think they could be in a lot of trouble.

psn

They sold Far Cry to Ubi didnt they? Who knows how much they got.. and the cryengine is one of the best looking engines. I guess they make more with licenses than with their games, but thats just speculation from me. They already said they are very interested in the f2p model which tells me that they dont get enough out of their sales..

Dunfisch

The things I could tell you! I'm not a game dev ... but I use - tried to use, at least - the tech for similar purposes as some contractors.

Those guys mentioned above, Real-Time Immersive? Oh yeah. Big contractor. There's a couple others, too.

More to the point, unless you have a couple 100K lying around, don't bother getting an actual Cryengine license for serious purposes. Crytek is... less than accomodating in terms of negotiations and support, all the more apparent once you read the EULA for their EEAS license model of the Engine, as available on Steam. There's some dirt behind their reasonings, but I'm not gonna delve into that.

Yeah, I actually do know. It's precisely why I'm also making the switch to UE4. You might see that happening with some developers too.

The things I could tell you! I'm not a game dev ... but I use - tried to use, at least - the tech for similar purposes as some contractors.

Those guys mentioned above, Real-Time Immersive? Oh yeah. Big contractor. There's a couple others, too.

More to the point, unless you have a couple 100K lying around, don't bother getting an actual Cryengine license for serious purposes. Crytek is... less than accomodating in terms of negotiations and support, all the more apparent once you read the EULA for their EEAS license model of the Engine, as available on Steam. There's some dirt behind their reasonings, but I'm not gonna delve into that.

Yeah, I actually do know. It's precisely why I'm also making the switch to UE4. You might see that happening with some developers too.

Intriguing. I haven't read their EULA, but I probably will now. Unity just seems way too easy to deal with compared to both CryEngine and UE4, though Epic seems to be doing some cool stuff with their latest tech (providing full C/C++ source code). Though I suppose that could be taken negatively as well, considering they're basically crowd-sourcing the development of their engine and charging for it at the same time. Generous and progressive on the surface, but suspicious nonetheless.

Zarx

On top of the Engine licensing and simulation work. They also have a lot of games in development at once, just before Ryse shipped they had 6. All the games are funded by publishers and/or venture capital. Just look at this page http://www.crytek.com/company all those publishers listed plus the financial partners is how they pay all their employees.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On top of the Engine licensing and simulation work. They also have a lot of games in development at once, just before Ryse shipped they had 6. All the games are funded by publishers and/or venture capital. Just look at this page http://www.crytek.com/company all those publishers listed plus the financial partners is how they pay all their employees.

Despite the Crysis games and Ryse being Crytek's most expensive projects (at least as far as consumer side of things is concerned), it owns the Crysis and Ryse IPs, so presumably Crytek itself at least partially funded development.

Zarx

The Crysis and Ryse IPs are owned by Crytek, though, so presumably Crytek itself at least partially funded development.

That's where the venture capital and engine licensing comes in. Warfrace's 25m+ players doesn't hurt either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's where the venture capital and engine licensing comes in. Warfrace's 25m+ players doesn't hurt either.

Sure, but you said "all the games are funded by publishers", which implies that Crytek didn't have a hand in funding them. I was just making (well, clarifying, it seems) the point that Crytek wouldn't have retained ownership of its most expensive consumer projects if it didn't cough up some of its own cash.

Zarx

Sure, but you said "all the games are funded by publishers", which implies that Crytek didn't have a hand in funding them. I was just making (well, clarifying, it seems) the point that Crytek wouldn't have retained ownership of its most expensive consumer projects if it didn't cough up some of its own cash.

Well actually I said

All the games are funded by publishers and/or venture capital

But yea I guess I should have worded the whole post better. What I should have said was that their funding comes from a variety of sources. Their big games have funding from both publishers and from private investors, and of course reinvesting their profits from other projects (Games, simulation/contract work etc) and engine licensing.

They sell energy created by their soul reactors which are fueled by NeoGAF hate threads. That's why they need to create shallow but beautiful games which continuously disappoint us.

SparkTR

Is ArmA even relevant enough to have a competitor.

Sure why not, I believe the second one sold like 3m copies and the third just passed 1m. Though it'll happen eventually in a way, as Project Reality is being built in CE4 and that's going to be a realistic as they come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom