• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today's Microsoft Store Pre E3 Event

SegaShack

I thought I would make a quick thread about today's Microsoft Store Pre E3 Event in Culver City that I attended.

The event was supposed to showcase some indie games, as well as give fans the chance to attend Microsoft's E3 press conference. They were giving away 100 tickets to attend the E3 conference tomorrow. I figured a few hundred people would show up, and I was right. By the time they started drawing tickets I estimated there were about 300-350 people, meaning the odds of winning were about 1 in 3.

My main problem with the event was the fact that while the event inside the store started at 1 PM, the raffle started at 11 AM and more tickets were raffled off every 15 minutes. This meant that those in the raffle were standing in the sun for two hours. Most people, like myself, were there half an hour early. So basically in the middle of summer in Southern California we were standing out in the sun with no shade for 2 and a half hours. They did have some employees that handed out water. Despite wearing sunscreen I did come back majorly sunburned on my neck and arm.

The people around me in line were really cool and I was chatting with them the whole time. Half of our group won the pass the go tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't win.

Other things raffled away throughout the day were 3 Xbox One Titanfall Consoles, a free XB1 game of the winners choice, Call of Duty Ghosts Special Edition, Watch Dogs Special Edition, and a Thrustmaster Wheel (I was really jealous of this winner).

Later the big raffle line was moved to another line directly outside the MS store and we entered in shortly. There were two games to play.
20140608_135430_zpsa65a34db.jpg

The first one was IDARB and was similar to the Rayman Legends Soccer Mini game. Basically it is a 2D game where you have a jump button and an attack button (which steals the ball or throws the ball if you have it). If you tweeted certain things with the proper hash tag to the correct address, it would affect the game itself. People made the screen shrink really small, Rick Astley dance across the screen, a horror face appear out of nowhere, all players turn into a red block, screen mirroring, etc, all from their phone.

The game was actually 8 players (didn't know this was possible on XB1) and is two teams of four. Overall it was a lot of fun due to the chaos of everything. My one complaint is that that the characters jump too high and that whether you tap or hold down the A button, the jump is always the same height. This gives you less control over the player.

The second game was Fru. This one was really creative in terms of how game input can work. There is a single player and a co op mode, with separately designed levels for each. I played the co op mode with one of the game's developers. How the game works is it uses the player's body silhouette to determine whether platforms appear or disappear.

Some platforms need a body over them to appear, some only appear when the body isn't touching them. It is dynamic so you can have pieces of a platform appear by covering just a section of it. While positioning your body you also have to control your character. The co op mode was obviously designed for collaboration as you need two people to get to the end of each level. One player may have to stand still to keep your players alive, while the other walks to another part of the room to get the next platform to appear.

This one really changed my perception of how a game can work and even simple looking tasks can be challenging. I really loved this one. When I asked the developer when it comes out he said "To be honest, probably not until next year". Makes me thing it was delayed. I'm looking forward to it whenever it does come out.

Here is a quick video I took of Fru: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r5ympkTpXE

I know some people on here have expressed their dislike for him. However, Major Nelson is a really cool guy. Everyone was following him around wherever he walked and he was always posing for photos and answering any questions people asked him. I was going to ask him to post more on Gaf. Whenever I was about to ask for a photo with him he was always pulled aside by someone else first, but I did get a quick picture of him. Really nice guy though and he was definitely the life of the party. When he left he said he was going to rehearse for tomorrow and that during an upcoming event in the same store Wednesday "There may just be an unannounced game playable too" (referring to something announced at E3 being playable).

Anyways, besides waiting in the sun
and losing
I had fun. I have attended E3 in the past so this was nothing too amazing for me, but since they denied my registration this year it was nice to go to another video game event around the same time.

Glad you did seem to enjoy yourself, despite the weather, and get your hands on some cool sounding games. I am sorry you didn't win the E3 tickets, now you have to get the people from your group to give you updates while the conference is happening.

SegaShack

Fru looks like an amazing use of the Kinect, goddamn.

What else really surprised me about it was despite the store being full of people it still managed to just track the two people who were playing.

I also wonder if the developer is pissed about MIcrosoft unbundling the Kinect. That must have an impact.

Went to this as well, got there about 45 mins early and yes, was also stuck in the sun for a good portion. They did provide some shade, but it was few and far between. I got lucky to be stuck by one for a bit.

My head got pretty burned though. I did get lucky and won a pass for the briefing tomorrow, though I didn't manage to win any of the other prizes.

As the OP said, Major Nelson was there and was super nice. He spent the better part of an hour and a half mingling, playing the games and posing for pics.

I had a bunch of things I wanted to ask, but, as per usual, I only got out "Big fan, looking forward to tomorrow!" Le sigh. He did laugh at my gamertag ("NSA") and generally seemed to be a very good (PR) person.

They gave out little XB1 controller Keychain things, but that's about it. I was hoping for some more small giveaways for the people who came out, but it is what it is.

Looking forward to tomorrow! Apparently we get to make up the Q&A panel after the conference. Super early start though.. Need to get to bed.

Quick question: What the fuck does Major Nelson actually do at Microsoft. I know he's got a title and all that, but does he just get paid to tweet and be a face for the Xbox division?

SegaShack

Did you have the pleasure to witness Major Nelson and his glorious smile?

tumblr_n3trylTQ5G1s1jfq4o1_250.gif
You know what's funny? In all honesty at one point I had thought of this gif while I was there and watched him pose for some photos and that gif was probably a one off thing. Never saw that happen in real life.

I know some people on here are skeptical of PR in general, but major was nothing but sincere and was giving back to the fans.

Went to this as well, got there about 45 mins early and yes, was also stuck in the sun for a good portion. They did provide some shade, but it was few and far between. I got lucky to be stuck by one for a bit.

My head got pretty burned though. I did get lucky and won a pass for the briefing tomorrow, though I didn't manage to win any of the other prizes.

As the OP said, Major Nelson was there and was super nice. He spent the better part of an hour and a half mingling, playing the games and posing for pics.

I had a bunch of things I wanted to ask, but, as per usual, I only got out "Big fan, looking forward to tomorrow!" Le sigh. He did laugh at my gamertag ("NSA") and generally seemed to be a very good (PR) person.

They gave out little XB1 controller Keychain things, but that's about it. I was hoping for some more small giveaways for the people who came out, but it is what it is.

Looking forward to tomorrow! Apparently we get to make up the Q&A panel after the conference. Super early start though.. Need to get to bed.

Congrats on winning a pass. Where did they take you winners away? I met some really cool people but when they one they were taken to some other area.

I also got one of those cool controller key chains. I also forgot to mention on my OP that they have me a coupon for a 10% discount on anything in the MS Store and also validated parking (free parking).

Hope you have fun tomorrow. Wish I could be there but I will be enjoying from my couch and I was definitely glad I want to today's event regardless of winning or losing.

StillEdge

The guy who won the wheel instantly gave it to someone for a media briefing badge. I was half a second to slow to trade him.

SegaShack

The guy who won the wheel instantly gave it to someone for a media briefing badge. I was half a second to slow to trade him.

Ah what? I guess he did not realize the value of the wheel.

By the way, one of the guys who won a pass to go to the conference, also won the Call of Duty Limited Edition, and an Xbox One console. That guy was the luckiest person.

Congrats on winning a pass. Where did they take you winners away? I met some really cool people but when they one they were taken to some other area.

I also got one of those cool controller key chains. I also forgot to mention on my OP that they have me a coupon for a 10% discount on anything in the MS Store and also validated parking (free parking).

Hope you have fun tomorrow. Wish I could be there but I will be enjoying from my couch and I was definitely glad I want to today's event regardless of winning or losing.

Thanks.. yeah, we didn't go anywhere special, just to the other line. Once we got inside (thank heaven for AC), they had us go to a counter to register for tomorrow, had to give them an ID and they gave us a lanyard, parking pass, and instructions for tomorrow. Nothing too fancy.

I mulled around until Major had to leave, it was nice that they gave out parking validations it was like $24 or something! Stupid Century City.

Haha that guy.. he was in front of me with a buddy. HE couldn't go tomorrow due to work, so when time came, his ticket got called, so he gave it to his buddy and his buddy gave him his ticket. A few minutes later, the buddies ticket got called, so he was nice and gave it to me. I gave him MY ticket. A short time later he comes walking up with a wristband AND he won the twitter contest for a LE Watch Dogs. As he got to the line, some other guy said "I'll trade this driving wheel for a wristband!". Naturally, and since he couldn't even USE the wristband, he gave it up, walked away with a LE Watch Dogs, a super expensive driving wheel, AND got two people into the conference. Ridiculous. I told him he needs to go play the lottery!

All in all it was very cool, the store manager (forgot her name) gave two Xbox One's away to a couple of guys who, apparently, are there for every launch (game and system) and usually first in line. It was one guy's birthday today, and when his ticket got called he let his friend us it. He ended up getting called again as well, so they both made it, but apparently the little gesture was enough for the store manager to give him a happy birthday. Probably a bit of a PR stunt, but they didn't make a huge deal about it (they were behind me).

Ahh ok need to get up in 6 hours.

Top Bottom