• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS3/PS4/360/XB1) Revealed

Takao

Banned
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb58d7KldDg

K8QDhZk.jpg

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVC2zaOyxIA

Developed by Dimps (Budokai, Burst Limit, Street Fighter IV, Saint Seiya: Brave Soliders, etc.).

Initial “Dragon Ball XENOVERSE” Details in August 2014 V-Jump:

YouTube user “baikinman5903” posted a video today showcasing pages from the upcoming August 2014 issue of V-Jump (which officially hits Japanese shelves 21 June 2014). In it, various details can be seen regarding the upcoming cross-generation (PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360) video game, Dragon Ball XENOVERSE.

The main splash describes “Xenoverse” in this context as meaning “uncharted territory”; you will create a Dragon Ball history unknown to all by your own hand. In the action-packed battles, overwhelmingly intense, awe-inspiring fights await you.

The mysterious red-headed character is simply referred to as “Future Warrior” (未来戦士 Mirai Senshi), and he is someone who has come back to invervene in the legendary battles of the series. While his face is revealed, his exact identity appears to be something Bandai Namco is holding off on fully detailing, however.

The magazine declares that a true Dragon Ball experience awaits you. There are many hints that there will be differences between the original story and what you play; a scene is shown of Ghurd chasing Kuririn, who is transporting the Dragon Balls. Just what sort of mission does this “Future Warrior” have?

The temple-esque location we have seen in previous screen shots is called the “Time Storage Vault” (刻蔵庫 Kokuzōko) and is filled with the history of Dragon Ball; this place apparently holds the key to the story of Dragon Ball XENOVERSE.

Most surprisingly, standing next to the Time Storage Vault, is none other than Trunks! “Just what is this strangely-clothed Trunks about to say? We have a premonition of excitement!” The caption notes that Trunks was the warrior who once came back to the past to save his future, so just what is his objective this time…?!

As many fans have excitedly noted, Trunks is wearing his exact Time Patrol outfit from the now-defunct Dragon Ball Online massively-multiplayer online role-playing game. No mention of “Time Patrol” or Dragon Ball Online is explicitly made within these particular pages, however.

too lazy to rehost, forgive me sal

Ahasverus

How many times can they recycle the same setup? jesus. Hope it's better than the last 234152978. (I'll never lost faith)

Teknoman

How can you brag about next gen systems, yet its hitting last gen systems? Unless its going to be extremely different based on generation.

Renpatsu

So, Dragon Ball Multiverse?

Sounds like Shin Budokai 2: Another Road in regards to any potential new story (which I found enjoyable if only because it was basically a fanfic instead of another retread of the series).

They should just make a Dr. Slump comedy adventure game in the vein of Jazzpunk.

-MD-

I wish they'd make a DBZ that.

A. Isn't a fighter
B. Isn't terrible

I know it's too much to ask.

Why the fuck did they get closest to replicating the look of the show on the PS2 then they ever have on the PS3/360 and now PS4/XB1 (well, except Burst Limit).

theDeeDubs

A. Isn't a fighter

Such a wasted IP. Much like Star Wars, it's shackled by its past. Saiyans (leading up to SS1) would make for excellent characters in an action RPG. Or playing as Vegeta prior to earth in an action rpg would also be awesome.

Eusis

XV in the logo, and Xenoverse?

I'll pretend it's the nightmare crossover of FF, DBZ, and Xeno properties.

Such a wasted IP. Much like Star Wars, it's shackled by its past. Saiyans (leading up to SS1) would make for excellent characters in an action RPG. Or playing as Vegeta prior to earth in an action rpg would also be awesome.

I don't want to live anymore

I'll never be satisfied until this happens

There's only so much you can do with Cell shading that is slavishly loyal to a simplistic and iconic art style. DBZ and Naruto games peaked visually about 4 years ago.

Tsunamo

It's up now.

The gameplay certainly isn't Budokai/Burst Limit but it certainly looks like they're trying something new (again)

....and it's private again

Tizoc

A. Isn't a fighter
B. Isn't terrible

I know it's too much to ask.
There's Dragonball: Attack of the Saiyans, a jRPG based on the Saiyan Saga on the NDS. Get it, it has a kick ass sound track.

He didn't specifically ask for a DBZ farming simulator (although with those names there might be some merit to it), they can and HAVE done games like RPGs, and they could always do a Musou.

That comparison would work if we never had non-fighter DBZ game. Which we have.

They have but fighting has to be core to the gameplay or why even make it a DBZ game. You could do an action RPG but the combat would be based around fighting.

And I know they've done RPG stuff in the past.

Top Bottom